Recommendations/Info on two things

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
seb_lau

Post by seb_lau » Sun Aug 22, 2004 4:38 am

First, the scenario;
Me and my fiancee both live in England, but hope to move to Finland soon.
She has dual citizenship [British/Finnish] and is 20, I'm just British.

In regards to marriage, would it be easier for me to imigrate if we were married in England or Finland? Would we need to do anything special to make it count in Finland if we married in England? Also, would it be difficult to get married in a Finnish church given we attend church in England and she is Catholic whilst I'm Anglican?

Finally, whilst she has Finnish citizenship, she's lived in England all her life, hence since she'll probably be 22+ when we move over what would happen about her military service?

Kiitos, moika.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Keke

Post by Keke » Sun Aug 22, 2004 9:11 am

In answer to your second comment, military service is not compulsory for Finnish women, just an option. Also, the last time I read about it, apparently not that many women choose to do military service.

luddite

Post by luddite » Sun Aug 22, 2004 10:06 am

Its easier for you to move here than a non EU person so getting married wouldn't really make your immigration much easier.

If you have the means to support yourself or someone vouches for you, they'll give you a 5 year EU residence permit regardless of your marital status.

You may be eligible for more benefits or be guaranteeed a residence permit if you get married, but its so easy to move here from another EU country I really wouldn't recommend getting married just to get residency here.

I'll post some links in a minute :!:
Last edited by luddite on Sun Aug 22, 2004 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

ari

Post by ari » Sun Aug 22, 2004 12:48 pm

I had a similar problem recently....I am by no means an expert on this

Myself, I am English although I have a Finnish parent, my now wife is just English. We wanted to get married in Finland (I had a large family), I could apply for dual nationality, however this was not our many problem.

Essentially to get married legally in a Finnish church, you have to be confirmed by the Finnish church through either a church summer camp when your about 20 year old or via a course if your older....obviously both are in Finnish.

In the end, we had a civil wedding in the UK, for legal reasons. Then we had a blessing in a Finnish church, which was like any other white wedding, this to us was our wedding, the civil wedding was just some we had to do.

Our wedding was a few weeks ago, we are both now back in the UK, planning our escape to Finland.

If anyone is interested, I have photos on my website. Also as note, having a wedding in Finland is alot cheaper than having one in the UK
Ari

kookaburra

Re: Recommendations/Info on two things

Post by kookaburra » Sun Aug 22, 2004 1:17 pm

Hi,

I thought of sending you this link because you mentioned that your fiancee with dual citizenship will probably be 22+ when you move to Finland. So just in case this would concern her, check "the rule of sufficiently close ties with Finland" when it comes to retaining one's Finnish citizenship:
http://www.uvi.fi/netcomm/content.asp?p ... anguage=EN

Cheers,
tuula
Kookaburra sits in the old gum tree
Counting all the monkeys he can see
Stop, Kookaburra! Stop, Kookaburra!
That's not a monkey that's me

seb_lau

Post by seb_lau » Sun Aug 22, 2004 4:01 pm

Thank you all for all your help, I think we'll probably just wait til we're in Finland to get married [we've been engaged for 2 years, whats another few?!] Only my fiancee mother lives away from Finland but the rest [of her, Finnish side] live in Finland so being 'vouched for' shouldn't be a problem.

As for the 'retaining sufficient ties' part of her citizenship, we went all the way to the Imigration office in Helsinki [we was visting Royka anyway] only to be told we just had to write a formal letter requesting she retain it to the Finnish embasy in England!

Cheers
(scurries off to scheme escape to Finland)