from Denver to Tampere

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
ronrubies

Post by ronrubies » Tue Aug 31, 2004 12:22 am

Finally Nokia is paying for a 30m3 container. Is this enough for a family ? What about my car ? Do I stuff it in the container as well ?
30m3 should be a 20-foot container. This was definitely enough to move my family of 4, from a 3 bedroom, 1200-sq ft apartment near San Francisco. Please note that we did not have any unusually large furniture, but we did bring our 20+ boxes of books. To move the car as well, we got a 40-foot container.
I understand that SF has some of the highest property prices in the US, but also wages are commensurate. THe woman of whom I spoke was earning IIRC a little over €30K plus non cash benefits. In Britain, I know that five years ago, a person doing a similar job would have been earning some €75-100K. I would expect that the wages in the SF area would be significantly higher than the UK for this work.
Having recently moved from SF, I can reasonably say that 1) $2000/mo for a studio should be in a very nice part of the city -- the colder/foggier/uglier areas can be up to 50% less; and 2) wages are unfortunately not commensurate -- therefore, though New York is more expensive in absolute terms, relative to average income, SF is the most expensive city in the US. Even more odd, renting in SF is currently cheaper than buying (even with an interest-only loan) . Coming from SF, Helsinki feels like a relative bargain.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

dusty_bin

Post by dusty_bin » Tue Aug 31, 2004 10:14 am

Coming to helsinki with US values imprinted on your neural pathways makes Helsinki a relative bargain. It was the same for me, bringing as I did my UK values and income!

Just wait until you are accustomed to FInnish incomes, net of tax, and say the same thing. If you owned your place in SF then of course you will be well set to live (and buy a home) out of the equity that you have probably accumulated. I found it hard to come to terms with the idea that even as a student, living on a small investment income, that I was more wealthy than the average Finn, cos it sure seemed expensive to me after a year or so!