Colorado to Finland

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
Daytrader

Colorado to Finland

Post by Daytrader » Tue Sep 21, 2004 9:15 am

Hei,

I would like to spend several months or up to a year in Finland. I work over the internet trading so I don't need to find work there. Someone told me once you can go to places in Europe and stay for up to 90 days and then leave and come back into the country and start another 90 day period with just a passort and just repeat as often as you like? Wonder if this is true for Finland anyone know? Or is it better to just apply for a Visa? Anyone know how they would look at someone coming here not looking for a job? Anyone tried that 90 day leave the country and return trick? Wonder if I can just take a boat ride to Estonia or Sweden spend the night and come back...

I would plan on arriving in the spring 2005 so I have time to think things out. I have been to Finland twice and I liked it better than any place else in Europe I've been to. Plus I have one good friend in Finland. Anyway the European time zone is ideal for trading foreign currencies as it is a 24 hour market and gets busy from midnight - 10am Mountain time. Staying up nights is not my idea of fun.

Thanks for any answers or Kittos I should say! :D

Colorado to Finland

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Tue Sep 21, 2004 9:49 am

Its 90 days within 6 months calculated from the day of entry into any Schengen signatory country. Sweden is "domestic travel" in that sense and after 90 days in Finland you'd have to spend 90 days in Estonia...

Even if you get a visa, it doesn't help as it is for entry only and that you can do without one, you need to apply for a residence permit if you wish to stay.

And Finnish residents get taxed for their worldwide income, so... :wink:
Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.

Dan

Post by Dan » Tue Sep 21, 2004 10:08 am

A re-entry visa shall be issued for a stay not exceeding three months at a time. The total length of successive stays may not, however, exceed three months in any half-year.
When counting the period, when the alien is not required to have a visa, the time spend in Denmark, Finland, Iceland, Norway and Sweden during the last six months shall be deducted.
No getting past the law sorry. It's there for a reason. ;)
[img:1n9ojkdk]images/pics/flags/au.gif[/img:1n9ojkdk]

Daytrader

Post by Daytrader » Tue Sep 21, 2004 11:14 am

Thanks for your quick replies. I appreciate it very much. That didn't sound right to me leaving and coming back after 90 days. Okay so a residence permit is the way to go if I want to stay up to a year sounds like. I guess if I'm approved I would be paying Finnish income tax instead of US taxes for the year. Wow I'm sure that will add up.... what is that like 45% or something? :shock: :lol:

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Tue Sep 21, 2004 1:21 pm

Tax is progressive. The more you earn the more the % goes. 45% would be if you made something like ~ 100 000 euros a year.
Cheers, Hank W.

Daytrader

Post by Daytrader » Tue Sep 21, 2004 3:14 pm

Thanks again Hank. Unfortunately I don't make anywhere near 100,000 euros but at least I won't pay a ton in taxes. :wink:

PeterF

Post by PeterF » Tue Sep 21, 2004 3:30 pm

Daytrader wrote:Thanks again Hank. Unfortunately I don't make anywhere near 100,000 euros but at least I won't pay a ton in taxes. :wink:
I would guess that 60% of those who frequent this BB and are in full time employment with the likes of the Big N...in a middle of the track/scale job..
Probably have total stopages ..tax/insurance/pension..around 35%.
I suggest you assume that you take home bit less than 2/3rds what you get paid.

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Tue Sep 21, 2004 3:55 pm

My gross for s senior analyst is around 3000 and after the taxes etc. the net is 2000.

What this means is though is for *salary earners*.

Now I don't know, but it might be the tax office would assess such trading as "investing", where the capital gains tax is a flat 29% , but then again this is higher mathematics.
Cheers, Hank W.

tjawatts

Post by tjawatts » Wed Sep 22, 2004 4:11 pm

It is going to be quite complex if you are a day trader, depending on where you are doing the trades, how the income is seen (capital?) etc. You are going to need pro advice or cross your fingers and hope you dont get shafted by the irs or vero.

T

mrjimsfc

Post by mrjimsfc » Wed Sep 22, 2004 5:38 pm

I wonder what the Mormon Missionaries do to stay in Finland (or any where else for that matter) for two years. They don't earn any money while there, but seem to have no problem staying for their full two years. It might be worth checking with the Finnish Consulate to see how they do it.

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Wed Sep 22, 2004 6:18 pm

They're sponsored by the local 5th column of course. :wink:
Cheers, Hank W.

ChimpGod

Post by ChimpGod » Wed Sep 22, 2004 10:21 pm

I'm actually Mormon.. I'm not sure how exactly they do it, but the church has a lot of influence, if that has anything to do with it.

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Wed Sep 22, 2004 11:15 pm

ChimpGod wrote: but the church has a lot of influence,
In Finland?
http://www2.helsinginsanomat.fi/english ... 010502IE14
Cheers, Hank W.

Richard

Post by Richard » Wed Sep 22, 2004 11:23 pm

Hank W. wrote:
ChimpGod wrote: but the church has a lot of influence,
In Finland?
http://www2.helsinginsanomat.fi/english ... 010502IE14
hehe
from the above artical wrote:Eschler is no longer quite so absolute in his views. In the last two years he has seen four Finns take baptism into the Mormon Church, but he has not himself managed to convert anyone.

finamerican

Went to Finland for 88 Days

Post by finamerican » Thu Sep 30, 2004 12:57 pm

Hey,

I was in Finland for 88 Days from Dec. 2003-March 2004. Just shy of the 90 days. I would love to go back there. Trying to learn the language to make it possible. If I wanted to go back for another 90 days, it's no problem. Most countries aren't like the US. You can stay for a while and they won't come find you :)