How EXACTLY do you move to Finland from the USA?

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
ChimpGod

Post by ChimpGod » Wed Sep 22, 2004 10:16 pm

Does anyone have a walkthrough on how to start from ground zero, living in the USA.. to making the move to Finland? If anyone has done this and is from the USA, or anyone who has any information at all, I would seriously appreciate it. I'm finding it difficult to understand.. It seems that you need to have a visa of some sort if you plan on being there longer than 3 months. But you can only get it if you have a job lined up, or if you are enrolled in a college. I would appreciate any help anyone has! I'm desperate!

- Matt

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Wed Sep 22, 2004 11:22 pm

Well, the first question is: why on earth? Second question is what can you do (except dominate simians) like profession, Finnish ability etc. Thirdly, what is it you want to/ think you can do in Finland. Then we maybe can assess some possible paths on what you need to do to achieve your goal. Lets say that there is never too much money.

And no, you don't need a visa, you need a residence permit (like all the furriners need a green card or something like that in the USA to be able to work). Try a start on http://www.uvi.fi (Directorate of Immigration). They have also link to the Aliens Act (in English).

Now if you think all this is complicated, you try follow the respective steps on how to get a green card to the USA and then we can discuss of difficulties to understand :wink:
Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.

Vera

Re: How EXACTLY do you move to Finland from the USA?

Post by Vera » Thu Sep 23, 2004 4:24 pm

ChimpGod wrote:Does anyone have a walkthrough on how to start from ground zero, living in the USA.. to making the move to Finland?

- Matt
I have done it twice:

1. October: decided "why don't I go study in Finland"
December: applied to the University of Helsinki
March or April: got accepted
June: applied for the residence permit.
September: got the permit, moved to Helsinki

Many years later:

2. July: decided "why don't I move to Helsinki again?"
August: sent resumes to many prospective employers
September-October: went to Helsinki for 3 weeks for interviews, got a couple of offers
October: came back to the US, applied for the residence permit
December: got the permit, moved to Helsinki

I can describe either process in more detail of you want.

Vera