bringing a car

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
chrisr

bringing a car

Post by chrisr » Thu Sep 23, 2004 8:33 pm

ok people that have came from the uk to finland which is the best route to travel by car and if anyone has done it recently what was the cost of the ferries.

bringing a car

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

neil

Post by neil » Fri Sep 24, 2004 9:27 am

Newcastle (ferry) > Gothenburg (drive) > Stockholm (ferry) Turku/Helsinki.

It's a piece of cake to do. The biggest bit is the drive across Sweden which will take 5-6 hours.

DFDS are the ferry company which does the Newcastle > G'burg crossing. When you book your ticket, call the DFDS office in Gothenburg as for some reason it is cheaper to buy your ticket from there than it is if you call Newcastle or Harwich.

And in order to import your car tax free, you need to have owned it for 6 months or more prior to moving to Finland.
Neil

Please add a link to https://www.finlandforum.org

Pedropete

Driving from the UK

Post by Pedropete » Wed Nov 17, 2004 9:17 pm

Just completed the journey from London in my "Personal Use" tax free car. Owed it 8 months prior to Finland move and had to prove was in use i.e. insurance cover. Also had to later prove that I was living abroad (from Finland) by showing various docs e.g. payment slips, pension contributions docs.
The journey itself was fun and easy as mostly in the ferry boats. Didn't fancy driving with the car so fully loaded!
Traveled from Harwich to Cuxhaven with DFDS (approx £100) then drove on the autobahn around Hamburg and headed towards Rostock. New Superfast ferry to Hanko (approx £100).

Started Friday 4pm and arrived in Hanko on Sunday 7pm.

Overall driving time 1.5 hours in UK, 5 hours in Germany and 2 hours in Finland. Not sure how this compares to the Newcastle-Sweden-Finland journey?

Good experience and I did this journey twice.
Alas! the love of women! it is known
To be a lovely and a fearful thing;