Waitin' on the residence permit. Anyone recently get theirs?

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
khu

Post by khu » Sun Nov 07, 2004 8:50 pm

I dont know -- but as I said, I did document thoroughly our time together over about 2 and a half years, so there's little reason to decide that this is a fake or very temporary kind of thing. I also have a few thousands euros worth of savings, more than enough for my stay, and plus I have a couple contracts paying off in the next few months, so financially I am secure.

My girlfriend will check the status line again tomorrow

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

khu

Post by khu » Tue Nov 09, 2004 2:13 am

Well, apparently the status line says my permit is in the very last stage before being, I suppose, sent back to LA. Let's hope it's an approval.

khu

Post by khu » Sat Nov 27, 2004 10:19 am

The permit approval was allegedly faxed to the LA consulate on the 17th.

2 surprising things so far:

1) It's been more than a week and the permit has yet to arrive. LA -> Seattle takes a week? I paid 8 dollars for them to mail back my passport. Could they have afforded overnight or 2-day?

2) The permit is only valid from Nov 5th -> May 5th. I'd specified about 6 months in my application, so that's fine. But Nov 5th? It's nearly a month past Nov 5th and I still dont even have the permit, much less plane tickets. It'll be at LEAST Dec 5th before I'm in Finland. Is this normal? Are they allowed to knock off a month off my time just like that?

So at this point I'm looking into the idea of extending my permit while in Finland. Is this possible? The Finnish police site says so, but I'm not sure on the specifics (could I leave the country while the extension is in processing?)

ilikepeanutbutter

Post by ilikepeanutbutter » Sat Nov 27, 2004 1:06 pm

khu wrote:The permit approval was allegedly faxed to the LA consulate on the 17th.

2 surprising things so far:

1) It's been more than a week and the permit has yet to arrive. LA -> Seattle takes a week? I paid 8 dollars for them to mail back my passport. Could they have afforded overnight or 2-day?

2) The permit is only valid from Nov 5th -> May 5th. I'd specified about 6 months in my application, so that's fine. But Nov 5th? It's nearly a month past Nov 5th and I still dont even have the permit, much less plane tickets. It'll be at LEAST Dec 5th before I'm in Finland. Is this normal? Are they allowed to knock off a month off my time just like that?

I paid overnight for my permit to come when I was waiting in America. It took a week!:)lol Although they did include cash back, I guess overnight is more risky? It takes awhile because I think they only mail stuff out once a week. My residence sat in the Finn Embassy for 2 weeks before getting the sticker.

Whoa, that's a short amount of time! I hate to say but when it comes to UVI, they can pretty much do what they want. The first permit is always the hardest. When you come here you can talk to the local immigrant police and ask them to change your status/give you a longer residency.

Hang in there, it's a pain in the keester but it's worth the wait:)

Kat
So at this point I'm looking into the idea of extending my permit while in Finland. Is this possible? The Finnish police site says so, but I'm not sure on the specifics (could I leave the country while the extension is in processing?)

harmaa

Post by harmaa » Sat Nov 27, 2004 4:20 pm

:D Hi Khu. Small world. (This is Jessalyn, Jenni's friend whom you met very briefly in NY)

khu

Post by khu » Sun Nov 28, 2004 9:22 am

ilikepeanutbutter wrote:Whoa, that's a short amount of time! I hate to say but when it comes to UVI, they can pretty much do what they want. The first permit is always the hardest. When you come here you can talk to the local immigrant police and ask them to change your status/give you a longer residency.
That's what I'm looking into. I just need to know if I can extend it and get my passport back for a visit back to the US during the application process (I'm guessing it's not going to be done in the 4-5 months that I'm there).

khu

Post by khu » Sun Nov 28, 2004 9:22 am

harmaa wrote::D Hi Khu. Small world. (This is Jessalyn, Jenni's friend whom you met very briefly in NY)
Hi! How are you doing? Any plans to return to Finland? :)

harmaa

Post by harmaa » Mon Nov 29, 2004 3:41 am

khu wrote:
Hi! How are you doing? Any plans to return to Finland? :)
Someday. :/

khu

Post by khu » Wed Dec 01, 2004 1:56 am

Final update: The permit and passport arrived in my town a week ago, but as no one was home to recieve the mail, the mailman wrote on a 'missed delivery slip' the recipient as "R. H." instead of "K. H.", thus someone thought it was intended for a cousin of mine who recently moved out.

Only when I looked closely at it did I realize this error. So the last week's delay was in a sense my fault.

I guess this concludes this thread. I'll have to start up another thread called "how do I extend my permit?" :)

Thanks for everyone who has contributed encouragement and suggestions in this thread. :)