Waitin' on the residence permit. Anyone recently get theirs?

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Tue Oct 05, 2004 11:41 pm

EU is automagical - the police only process you. I think the grounds for not giving one are few and far between. The Non-EU process goes through the full bureaucracy. Two different processes alltogether.

Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

ilikepeanutbutter

Re: hang in there:)

Post by ilikepeanutbutter » Thu Oct 07, 2004 10:21 pm

khu wrote:
ilikepeanutbutter wrote:my first one took 6 months, my 2nd one is taking 6th months too:)lol day after tomorrow i check if its done..you just wait..that is all you can do..good luck to you! :D

kat
Holy Communion, that's a long time! I'm really hoping the guy told the truth and it's coming this week, because I couldnt take another two months of waiting.
yep:)lol i was really scared during the first 6 months but this time around I've went about my merry way...we checked it, it's done processing right now it's getting the stamp:)i hope it does arrive fast for you! good luck!

katrina

khu

Post by khu » Thu Oct 07, 2004 10:29 pm

ilikepeanutbutter wrote:yep:)lol i was really scared during the first 6 months but this time around I've went about my merry way...we checked it, it's done processing right now it's getting the stamp:)i hope it does arrive fast for you! good luck!
My girlfriend checked with UVI again. The caseworker who last week told her "There are no problems with the application, I'll forward it for a decision immediately, and it should be approved" admitted that he HADN'T forwarded it, and, when pressed... promised to do it immediately. Again. :shock:

He said himself it was done being checked over, and just needed to be forwarded. But he apparently was too busy to forward it and sat on it for another week. :roll:

khu

Post by khu » Wed Oct 13, 2004 11:53 am

Well, the 'checker' at UVI who was processing the application finally passed on the application for a decision, but only after sitting on it for a week past the time he promised he would forward it, and only after another call prompting him to.

So now the decision is going to, I suppose a higher-up administrator. I believe the first bureaucrat said he would reccomend approval, so I shouldn't imagine it to take much longer now. But my girlfriend is going to call this administrator type and press her to make this more of a priority, and inform her of the first clerk's wasting of time and not forwarding it when he said he would. :roll: After all, Finns are proud of their honest and transparent government system, right? :) I hope my sob story makes an impression on her.

dfordhiraj

It really takes time

Post by dfordhiraj » Sun Oct 17, 2004 12:26 am

Hi,

I was a bit busy over the last 4 weeks.. In finland it really takes time.. I really wonder what type of processing do the people in over here do ??:?

Btw, just cross your fingers.. and the only thing you can do is Wait...

PS : i have finally reached finland..

BR
Dhiraj
Helsinki
Dhiraj Chhajer
Phone No : 0417055230
Helsinki

devon

Post by devon » Tue Oct 19, 2004 4:36 pm

My husband (US citizen) got his first residence permit in five working days. This was at the end of August, in Jyväskylä, and they rushed it through a bit quicker as he was about to leave for a holiday to the States.

khu

Post by khu » Thu Oct 28, 2004 12:44 pm

I know no one cares, but I'll keep updating my pathetic UVI stories:

Last week, Jenni called them up again. The lady said it was almost done now, and would be ready to be sent to the LA consulate in a week.

She called a week later. The lady was on vacation for this week. :roll:

So, correct me if I'm mistaken, but that lady must have known she would be on vacation this week. Most people plan that much ahead at least, yet she still told us it would be ready in a week, when she knew she was going to be gone. She obviously made no effort to get it done before she left, either.

Why is it hard for someone to take another's place in the processsing task when the first person goes on vacation? Is this a radical concept in Finland?

I thought that nothing would be worse than German bureaucracy (Deutsche Telekom, anyone?) or American bureaucracy, but so far, the 5-week stall with my permit is not really impressing me with the 'open' and 'transparent' Finnish system. Constant lies and delays and excuses.

Nathan Lillie

Post by Nathan Lillie » Thu Oct 28, 2004 5:01 pm

So I've been waiting on my residence permit renewal now since early July.

One would think it would be a fairly straightforward decision: I've been married to a Finn for more than a year, and common-law married for about 4 years. I have a Finnish child. I have a good job in Finland, a mortgage and a dog. I forgot to tell them about the dog. Maybe that's it. Damn.
If you want to catch beasts you don't see every day,
You have to go places quite out-of-the-way.
You have to places no other can get to.
You have to get cold and you have to get wet, too.

If I Ran the Zoo, Dr. Suess

alloydog

Post by alloydog » Thu Oct 28, 2004 5:14 pm

Mine took two weeks - that was renewing from a five year one to a perment one where it is stamped in your passport. But that was in Liminka, and the local Police don't exactly have hordes of ulkomainen storming the gates for permits...

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Thu Oct 28, 2004 5:20 pm

Yes, but you forget:

UK=EU=civilized country

USA=NON-EU= barbarian heathens with grass skirts and bones through their noses...
Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.

Mook

Post by Mook » Thu Oct 28, 2004 9:52 pm

When I put in my Residence Permit renewal application at the end of July in Helsinki, the bit of paper I got said it would be 2 months(I'm from the UK).

It's still not here.

I'm half hoping that they kick me out :)

-Michael

khu

Post by khu » Fri Oct 29, 2004 8:07 am

Hank W. wrote:Yes, but you forget:

UK=EU=civilized country

USA=NON-EU= barbarian heathens with grass skirts and bones through their noses...
Please give me some credit! I wear PANTS. Grass pants.

And my bone nose ring was removed. It's now a bone muna-ring. :oops:

Mook

Post by Mook » Fri Oct 29, 2004 9:35 am

khu wrote:Please give me some credit! I wear PANTS. Grass pants.
Aren't they a bit itchy?

(btw. We understand that Hank has leather ones)

khu

Post by khu » Wed Nov 03, 2004 11:43 pm

Another episode of: KH's @#$% annoying whiny adventures in Ulkomaalaisvirasto land!

Featuring: A whining foreigner! (Me)

So! My girlfriend called again after the UVI lady returns from her week-long vacation, and reminded her that she's not been true to her word about when she would finish the process.

So this lady now is annoyed, and tells my girlfriend that 'Oh, well the reason it's taken so long is because of the new foreigner law, and the application he used was done on a old form [because they gave it to me in April, I submitted in early June] and it looks like you are not in a common-law marriage, so there may be reasons for me to reject the application'.

When asked what aspects of the new law would apply to my case, she replied 'I don't know, I haven't looked at the law yet'. And, apparently, she hasnt even glanced at the one-page letter I accompanied the application with, which detailed my intended length of stay (6 months), etc.

At this point, every time someone at UVI has made a certain statement about when my process would be complete, they have basically lied. We were told three times that it would be done 'in a week' and that there were no problems. Yet now I find the person has barely glanced at my application and, apparently, has little to no knowledge of the law she's supposed to be applying (or is pretending to and using this as an excuse -- it's contradictory for her to say the new law will absolutely delay my permit, then admit she doesnt know how the law now differs.) It just sounds to me like one shoddy excuse after another.

1) Would this be any grounds to ask for help from someone higher-up, or in a complaints dept., or would that just piss everyone there off so much that I'd be certain not to get my permit?

2) What exactly did the new foreigner laws entail, and does any aspect of it mean that I have a less of a chance of a permit? I recall something about a liberalization of work permits, but I didn't apply for a work permit.

I just wanted to live in Finland for 6 months, living off my savings, being that I have been in a relationship with my girlfriend for about two and a half years now, visiting with painful regularity on tourist visas. The consulate assured me this was not a very uncommon condition on which to base a permit. I'm just upset that they have told me things about when the permit will be done, then not going through on those promises. If they told me the first time I called "Oh, it may be about another month and a half", I'd accept it grudgingly. But a string of "One more week!" followed by another letdown is unbearable.

APUAAAAAAAAA! :cry:

mookoo

Post by mookoo » Thu Nov 04, 2004 12:32 am

American answer:
GAT TO YOUR FACE WITH THE F*CKIN' BULLETS STICKIN OUT!

About the new law. I tried calling from the USA one time (by the way it was 2am here when I had to call because they only accept calls from 10am - 11am in Finland about immigration affairs. They first told me to look on the website and I said "just tell me now will ya" and the lady got smart and told me just to get married otherwise you will have to fill out a LOT of paperwork. So without that "family ties" you have to be a student, or having a job there basically. Then there is the dreaded "other" category which is probably what is holding you up if you are not fitting into the other ones. The lady I talked to said to stay away from the "other" box. So I opted to get married, to pledge my life unconditionally, to avoid that box. So I don't know what to tell you. Just keep after them! If there is no reason why you shouldn't be there, then I don't see why they won't let you stay there. But ya never know.