Immigration question.

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
John Daniels

Immigration question.

Post by John Daniels » Wed Sep 29, 2004 11:43 am

Many countries of the world grant the descendants of emigres the right of permanent residency or citizenship. My mother's maternal grandparents were Finns who immigrated to the United States. Does the government of Finland make any allowances or dispensations for descendants such as myself who apply to immigrate to Finland? Or, do I have the beastly luck of not being Irish?

Immigration question.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Wed Sep 29, 2004 11:47 am

You're too far removed. 2nd generation is still accepted.

http://www.uvi.fi => returnees
Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.

PeterF

Post by PeterF » Wed Sep 29, 2004 12:44 pm

Hank W. wrote:You're too far removed. 2nd generation is still accepted.

http://www.uvi.fi => returnees
Um..I dont see 2 mentioned...In English is says "several generations.." in Swedish--"flera = several/a few" in Finnish..it is more vague.."Jos sukujuuret ovat useampien sukupolvien takana..."..More than just/a few/ perhaps one or two or more. :roll: I expect if Sibelius great great grand son was to pop his head up out of a bilabong in Alice Springs with musical master piece for the didgeri- doo, stuck in the hole in his nose.. he would be welcomed here as an instant Finn. :wink: .I also love the way this official document refers to
"family Roots"...when discussing past relations..

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Wed Sep 29, 2004 1:06 pm

Reading the small print helps

A permit can be granted to a person if at least one of the parents or grandparents is or has been a Finnish citizen.
Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.