Integration Plan

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
eric71

Integration Plan

Post by eric71 » Wed Oct 13, 2004 8:45 am

After struggling to find work in Finland for almost a year from sunny California, I've come very close but have nothing to show for it. My wife and I have come to the conclusion that we need a change of plan. We are looking into moving to the UK or Ireland, where I could find work much easier and at least get my wife within a short flight from home. Or else we can bite the bullet and move to Finland and continue the job hunt there. I have no doubt that I can find something eventually with my education and work experience. Companies don't seem to mind my lack of Finnish. It just seems that they all say, "come see us when you are in Finland" which is easier said than done. We've been avoiding moving to Finland to be unemployed, but we need to do something. Before we can make a decision, we need all of the details. Hopefully some of you can help me with some specifics:

When you arrive as a foreigner, how long does it take before you start receiving an integration allowance?

When a Finn moves back who's been away for ten years, is there a delay in their getting unemployment?

How much allowance could an immigrant and an unemployed Finn with a child receive per month, and is it possible to get by on this after taxes?

Though we could stay with family for a month, we'd like to find our own place to live fairly quickly. Is there any chance of renting if all you have is government allowance and some savings? Do landlords require proof of a job?

I'll probably think of more questions later, but I just need all of the data I can get before making this difficult decision. I've never been unemployed and don't like the idea of it very much. If that is what it takes to get my family to Finland, I want to make sure I can take care of them while looking for work. THis is a scary thing for me and moving to the UK seems a safer option. But I feel like I've spent the last year with one foot in the US and the other in Finland and this life of stalled transition is driving me crazy. It seems like living in the UK while pining for Finland will only be more of the same. Someone help before I end up in the Tea & Sympathy section :(

Thanks in advance,

Eric

Integration Plan

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Wed Oct 13, 2004 11:23 am

If you quit your job the quarantine is 3 months. Some services are not available until after the 2 years residency. Unemployment money is the "työmarkkinatuki" which isn't much. Landlords require 2 months deposit and a credit check. Unless you are queued with the city - but you have a place to stay so you aren't homeless...
eric71 wrote:and is it possible to get by on this after taxes?
You can't get along even with a salary after taxes if you ask me . :wink:
Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.

Phil

Re: Integration Plan

Post by Phil » Wed Oct 13, 2004 12:27 pm

eric71 wrote: When you arrive as a foreigner, how long does it take before you start receiving an integration allowance?
Eric
There is a myth that a non-EU foreigner needs to be in Finland for 3 months before the unemployment check starts coming in. I didn't find this to be true. Day 1 in Finland, goto the unemployment office and sign-up. But, I believe you need to be married to a Finn (which you are) or have proof that you've been living together somewhere for two years. If you just come as some Finn's boyfriend, I don't know if you're entitled to the unemployment right away.

SGaudreau

Post by SGaudreau » Wed Oct 13, 2004 2:30 pm

Phil - actually (don't shoot me here) the quarantine period is real. If you have left your previous employer (in or out of Finland) for no reason other than to move to Finland, or I should say other than your contract/employment term ending with said employer, there is a 3 month rule. I was told it by the very grumpy uemployment official during my "interview" with them when I was unemployed.

She also pretty much told me that my degree from the States was useless. Not very encouraging nor pleasing to hear after spending 4 years and a buttload of money in student loans (gotta love the US higher education system) and !"#¤% like that. I felt like my lovely degree was to be used for toilet paper.

I subsequently got a job (yeah..you know where you slacker) and do not have to "rely" on the stipend.

Oh and it was also determined that due to my spouse making more than 500 euro a month, my determined benefit (without courses) went on a sliding scale DOWN directly porportional (and that is debatable) to the amount over 500 euro that my spouse made.

bottom line: no 20 hours of finnish...no mullah :insert boston accent here:

eric71

Post by eric71 » Wed Oct 13, 2004 6:00 pm

I've got some contact information for the person who takes care of this stuff in my wife's family's town. I'll try and find out about the quarantine. If need be I can probably get a letter from work saying I didn't leave by choice, my contract was up, etc. Probably a lot depends on which bureaucrat you get the pleasure of having assigned to you.

eric71

Post by eric71 » Fri Oct 15, 2004 6:40 pm

So I've gotten a little bit more information on the waiting period if you've left your job by choice. There is a two month waiting period if you do not have proof from your old employer that you were layed off or your contract ran out. If you don't have this proof, they will want to make you wait - unless you have a very good reason for moving to Finland, which is determined by some sort of "work comittee". I'm assuming this would have to be something serious like caring for an ill family member, etc.

Exactly what they consider sufficient as far as a document from your employer goes, I don't know. I'm hoping a letter from my boss will suffice, but I've got to confirm if this is enough.

TrishPaakkonen

Post by TrishPaakkonen » Sat Oct 16, 2004 7:49 pm

The amount you get for a child depends on the child's age. If the child is over 3 years old, expect appx. 100 euros per month. Under 3 gets about 600 euros per month ( at least that is appx the amount we got for our 3 year old until this past May).

What exactly do you do in the biotech industry? Have you seen this facility?

http://www.biocenter.helsinki.fi/bi/xray/

Also check out this link:

http://www.biocenter.helsinki.fi/bi/xra ... index.html

If you would like ..... and are doing similar work, I can call Adrian and hand deliver your CV ( resume ) to him.

Trish Paakkonen

[email protected]

d a v e

Post by d a v e » Sat Oct 16, 2004 10:57 pm

maybe you should scout out some jobs before moving so you know you have a contracted job to move to - better to find out truly how good your employmeny chances are before moving...