Driving to Finland

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
r2

Driving to Finland

Post by r2 » Sun Oct 17, 2004 11:20 am

Me and my mate are moving to Finland in April and we were considering the possibility of using his car to move our wordly belongings across to Espoo. Obvisously we can't take too much stuff with us as his car is only a Fiat Punto :D but it we get it full up with our goods we might just have everything we need. But I'd like ask what we need to know about bringing the car in to Finland (not sure yet if he's going to import it or not), MOT's, taxing it, special insurances, how long can he keep it there? Do we still need winter tyres in April?

Also what is the best route to Espoo?

I appreciate all help anyone can give!

Ta!

Driving to Finland

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

neil

Post by neil » Sun Oct 17, 2004 1:15 pm

Use DFDS and book your ticket from the Gothenburg office as it is cheaper than if you book it from Britain (for some reason)

Best route is Newcastle > Gotenburg > Stockholm > Helsinki

It takes ~3 days and is a piece of cake.

Regarding importing the car/winter tyres etc I suggest you search (link above) as all the info you need is already here and in large quantities.

Here is a good example: bb/viewtopic.php?t=7160

Useful search words to use include: importing car moving goods

Good luck with the move and remember to leave some space for some proper beer :D
Neil

Please add a link to https://www.finlandforum.org

r2

Post by r2 » Sun Oct 17, 2004 2:30 pm

Thanks very much Neil for your reply. I shall search for more information. Has anyone got any experience of going through the Europe and the Baltic countries when moving your stuff to Finland? Any good or is it too much hassle?