Commute to/from Kauniainen

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
eric71

Post by eric71 » Mon Oct 18, 2004 8:09 pm

I'm not familiar with Kauniainen, and I'm hoping I might find a job there. Does anyone know what type of public transportation there is coming in from areas with less expensive housing? Looking to rent a 3 room rivitalo, and we'll never afford that in Kauniainen/Espoo/Helsinki.

Thanks,
Eric

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

heidieh

Post by heidieh » Mon Oct 18, 2004 8:50 pm

Commuter train from Kirkkonummi, that's the town west of Espoo/Kauniainen. Unfortunately, Kirkkonummi's internet site is not available in English, only in Finnish and Swedish. :?

Siuntio & Inkoo are the next (small towns) even further west, also served by local commuter trains.

http://www.inkoo.fi/

eric71

Post by eric71 » Mon Oct 18, 2004 10:52 pm

Thanks for the info, Heidi! I guess I shouldn't count my chickens before they're hatched as far as getting the job, but I want to make sure it would even be feasible economically.

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Tue Oct 19, 2004 11:35 am

Kaunianen is the "beverly hills" of Espoo. It is its own county, but really Espoo - surrounded by it. Its smack on the train track.
Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.

PeterF

Post by PeterF » Tue Oct 19, 2004 12:53 pm

Dead easy to get there from less expensive areas ..such as....daah..."anywhere except Kaunianen.!"..but Leppävaara for instance..towards the city...has frequent trains and buses...in the summer not a difficult bike ride...

Rosamunda

Post by Rosamunda » Tue Oct 19, 2004 1:52 pm

Hank W. wrote:Kaunianen is the "beverly hills" of Espoo. It is its own county, but really Espoo - surrounded by it. Its smack on the train track.
Yep, I've heard (Swedish) Finns raving about "Grani"... like they wouldn't live any where else. But IMHO the town centre is a bit of a 70's style concrete dump: nothing stylish, interesting, attractive or particularly inviting about the place. Not much in the way of shops (unlike Beverly Hills) or restaurants. But I guess if you miss the rat race of residential suburbian England then you might feel at home there :wink:

PeterF

Post by PeterF » Wed Oct 20, 2004 9:51 am

I can remember onnce I booked an English (UK based) customer into Scandic Hotel near the Espoo/Kilo police station....Tapiola was fully booked....
When I collected him in the morning he commented..
"This Place is in the middle of nowhere..Went for a walk last night found a strange village, about a mile away, bit like one of those modern concrete 1950s villages in the London commutor belt...nobody around, a lot of nothing to see,.. I found only one pub, but it was trying to be a Pizza restaurant...everyone seemed to be Swedish."