Trip to Sweden & Norway

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
greenhorn

Trip to Sweden & Norway

Post by greenhorn » Mon Oct 25, 2004 6:01 pm

Hi All,
I have just moved to Finland about a month back and i have a residence permit here.I wanted to go on a trip to Sweden and Norway for something like 3 or 4 days.What is the best way to plan it..should i go to some agents will they be able to work out the best deal (as in airfares) for me .I plan to go there with my friend.If anyone has gone for a similar trip pls let me know ?
Thanks in advance

Trip to Sweden & Norway

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Dan

Post by Dan » Mon Oct 25, 2004 6:36 pm

No planning needed. The most fun way is to take a boat to Stockholm and then the train to Oslo. It adds a little more travelling time but it's worth it. If your friend is the same sex as you then the cheapest way to travel is to just book two one way tickets to Stockholm in a male/female cabin unless there's any great deals on a cabin for the both of you. It's the same on the way back. Train tickets you can purchase at the railway station in Stockholm. I think the journey from Stockholm to Oslo is 6 hours.
[img:1n9ojkdk]images/pics/flags/au.gif[/img:1n9ojkdk]

mookoo

Post by mookoo » Tue Oct 26, 2004 12:38 am

Dans pretty much right. You don't really need to make any plans (as far as hotels or anything). Especially if you are going right now, its not exactly the busy tourist season. The boat to Stockholm is really fun. My boyfriend and I did that some years ago. I recomend Silja line over Viking. We also did a road trip up to the very northern part of Norway to Tromso (the "o" on the end is supposed to have a line through it, but I don't have that character on my keyboard). However, I went there in the summer and it is probably quite chilly up there right now. :P But really, there are so many nice places, I think wherever you go you will have fun. 8)

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Tue Oct 26, 2004 1:35 am

One "stupid question" but are you from a country whose passport holders need a visa to Sweden or Norway? Then you better check, as there might be some restrictions.

Otherwise for airfares Blue1 & SAS (same *, different package) has the most decent rates. I'd maybe suggest flying to someplace & then working your way down with train/bus & not forgetting the ferry trip - that is a must.

After Oslo you won't make claims "Finland is Expensive" - better keep an eye on expenses...
Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.

superiorinferior

Post by superiorinferior » Tue Oct 26, 2004 2:04 am

Hank W. wrote:One "stupid question" but are you from a country whose passport holders need a visa to Sweden or Norway? Then you better check, as there might be some restrictions.
Rarely, if ever, have I entered Sweden by ship from Finland and needed a passport at all.

My last trip there was a few years ago, has this changed?

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Tue Oct 26, 2004 11:05 am

Yup, its Schengen area (Norway as well -forgot about that) yes, there are no border checks though there may be arbitrary checks.

Foreign nationals who have a residence permit in Finland can move freely within the territory of the Schengen countries, however, no more than 90 days within six months at a time.
Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.

alloydog

Post by alloydog » Tue Oct 26, 2004 11:26 am

Dan

Post by Dan » Tue Oct 26, 2004 11:32 am

The only identity check that might be needed is by the carrier to verify the passenger. Other than that it's smooth sailing (or flying).
[img:1n9ojkdk]images/pics/flags/au.gif[/img:1n9ojkdk]

greenhorn

Post by greenhorn » Tue Oct 26, 2004 1:11 pm

thanks for all the suggestions.This forum is helping me in a great way to make my life easier in Finland.I am from India and have a work permit here and now i have got the social security number also. My frnd is also an indian but she has Schengen visa.Would this be sufficient or do i need to get some kind of permission to enter sweden and norway.And someone told me that the cruises are full of ppl who are drunk so that might spoil the fun.
as always waiting for suggestions..

mookoo

Post by mookoo » Wed Oct 27, 2004 3:22 am

greenhorn wrote:And someone told me that the cruises are full of ppl who are drunk so that might spoil the fun.
Haha, yes you will see some there. But the drunk people are everywhere in Finland. I at least have never seen a drunk Finn expell the contents of his/her stomach yet. Even on a boat they can hold it in quite well. Its really amazing when you think about it. In America I have seen waaaaaaaaay too much projectile vomiting! :x But when I was on Silja line, the worst of it was just an exceptionally loud Finn telling a story at a table close to ours (he had obviously had a bit too much fun at the tax free sin shop).