Going to Helsinki

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
pikku.kissa

Going to Helsinki

Post by pikku.kissa » Tue Oct 26, 2004 5:04 am

Hi everyone!

I'm flying to Helsinki next Friday as a visitor for 3 months. I've been with my Finnish boyfriend for the 3rd year now, but we only got to see each other during my summer and winter breaks. I have just graduated from university with Bachelor of Science in Information Technology.

I'd love to move to Finland and get a job there. But I don't know what to do??? How should I go and apply for a job and resident permit?

Going to Helsinki

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

pierrot

Post by pierrot » Tue Oct 26, 2004 10:14 am

Did you look in the "Jobs & Studying"-Forum?
There are threads called "How to get a job in Finland" and "Finding a Job in Finland - v0.1" which might help you.
I would recommend to also ask your BF as he might have a better overview about jobopportunities in his neighbourhood or city than a bunch of strangers on the internet. :)
Here in Finland, I have done everything I can to blend-in with the Finns, I've changed my hair color, wore differnet clothes, got different

neil

Post by neil » Tue Oct 26, 2004 12:22 pm

Is your BF in a position whereby he could financially support you if you were to move here? It can take a few months before you find your feet, and more importantly, a job and during such times help from your partner can play a key role in helping you to be able to remain here during this period.
Neil

Please add a link to https://www.finlandforum.org

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Tue Oct 26, 2004 3:59 pm

Well, as the crystal ball says "sunshine state" ain't in the EU, you'd need to get a job first & then apply for a work permit. Things being as they are its not exactly easy. Other way then again to secure a residence permit is to get married and then its only the "finding a job" part.

IT jobs are around: http://www.jobline.fi http://www.rekry.com http://www.mol.fi
Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.

pikku.kissa

Post by pikku.kissa » Wed Oct 27, 2004 9:45 am

thanks for the replies, guys :) my boyfriend's able and willing to support me financially while i'm hunting for a job. of course i'll bring some money with me from here... after reading thro' this forum, it's not easy to get a decent job anywhere as a fresh graduate! :cry:
Hank W. wrote:Well, as the crystal ball says "sunshine state" ain't in the EU, you'd need to get a job first & then apply for a work permit.
yeah, sunshine state isn't in the EU. it's in beautiful australia! :D

bretti_kivi

Post by bretti_kivi » Wed Oct 27, 2004 11:08 am

pretty much finding a job outside of helsinki without fluent (and i mean really fluent) finnish is damn near impossible. so, go check out the above sites, but learn some important finnish first otherwise you'll be harrassing bf to translate everything...

Bret
"I have no further comments at this time"

teme

Post by teme » Wed Oct 27, 2004 12:11 pm

Living outside Helsinki is damn near horrible anyway (*duck*)

One other option is taking a part time job, or even no job at all, and doing master in Helsinki U. CS department is fine IMO, and if you are planning to stay for long haul, the contacts you make during yoyr studies will be useful.

pikku.kissa

Post by pikku.kissa » Wed Oct 27, 2004 2:33 pm

I was thinking about doing master in Helsinki. Is it possible to apply for university while I'm there? I'm not sure how the system works there.

I'll definitely learn Finnish during my stay there. I only know the very basic ones.

alloydog

Post by alloydog » Wed Oct 27, 2004 2:37 pm

"my boyfriend's able and willing to support me financially"
& He's Finnish !!! Bl00dy hell !! Read some othe rposts, & the girls are lucky to get even a beer out of their BFs !!

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Wed Oct 27, 2004 2:39 pm

pikku.kissa wrote: yeah, sunshine state isn't in the EU. it's in beautiful australia!
OK, then you might be able to exploit the "working holiday" agreement.
Cheers, Hank W.

bretti_kivi

Post by bretti_kivi » Wed Oct 27, 2004 3:23 pm

learn finnish ... three months
uh huh....

i think you'll get the basics and that's about it unless you're massively gifted. finnish is not easy.

Bret
"I have no further comments at this time"

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Wed Oct 27, 2004 3:36 pm

pikku.kissa wrote:I was thinking about doing master in Helsinki. Is it possible to apply for university while I'm there?
Yeah, sure, depending if you are here during when the applications are accepted. :wink:

Computer Science?
http://www.helsinki.fi/admissions/science.htm
http://www.helsinki.fi/admissions/admis ... ements.htm

Hmmm... Mathematics, physical sciences, chemistry and computer science 16 taken... playing lottery is more fun. :wink:
Cheers, Hank W.

pikku.kissa

Post by pikku.kissa » Thu Oct 28, 2004 4:54 am

Thank you for all the useful information :D

I'm really nervous about how things are gonna be when I'm there. Only 8 days to go..