Shipping Stuff Home

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
Malla

Shipping Stuff Home

Post by Malla » Tue Oct 26, 2004 12:50 pm

Hi,

If I want to ship a box of mainly clothes and junk home. It is cheaper to go through an international household mover or is normal post office okay?

Malla

Shipping Stuff Home

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Frypan

Post by Frypan » Tue Oct 26, 2004 1:58 pm

I shipped two huge suitcases home last time I left, using a Finnish freight forwarding company. It was an absolute disaster, took forever, cost a fortune, broken promises, not door to door as quoted, customs clearance was a big hassle, not notified of goods arrival and had to pay weeks of storage fees etc, Australian agent blamed Finnish and so on and so forth :( etc etc. I can't remember the company name, so send me a PM if you settle on one, and it might ring a bell. Get everything in writing, if anything is on fax paper, photocopy it before it fades away while you wait for your gear.

Most removal places will have a minumum size/weight/value which is over 1200€. Meaning it's cheaper to just fly back and get the extra luggage yourself. Excess luggage may be cheaper. I would have done that but I wasn't going where my luggage was.

I had success with http://www.sevenseasworldwide.com/au/ sending stuff from Melbourne, Australia to friends in London (and then flew to London to pick it up). I think they do direct to Finland too, but a lot more expensively. It was door to door in that direction.

In other news, I just got an A4 sized package sent from a friend by Royal Mail from London, which arrived torn opened, missing a DVD and a postcard. Don't know what I can do about that. I'm having a bad week. :(

--fry
Image Miksi leivänpaahtimissa on asetus, jolla leivän saa palaneeksi korpuksi, ettei sitä kukaan syö?

superiorinferior

Post by superiorinferior » Tue Oct 26, 2004 2:54 pm

Frypan wrote:In other news, I just got an A4 sized package sent from a friend by Royal Mail from London, which arrived torn opened, missing a DVD and a postcard. Don't know what I can do about that. I'm having a bad week. :(
I would complain like hell to Posti. Or did it come thru Tulli?

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Tue Oct 26, 2004 3:46 pm

The Posti will compensate something like 20cents per kilo...
Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.

superiorinferior

Post by superiorinferior » Tue Oct 26, 2004 11:40 pm

Hank W. wrote:The Posti will compensate something like 20cents per kilo...
Just tell them it was a very heavy DVD. ;-)

Malla

Post by Malla » Wed Oct 27, 2004 12:19 am

Cool thanks. I am presently sorting through. What can I carry and what can't I carry. I will ditch some stuff. But flying through London and have to go from one airport to the other. I don't want to carry heaps of junk.

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Wed Oct 27, 2004 12:23 am

Airport Travel Cargo?

http://www.travelcargo.fi/
Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.

Frypan

Post by Frypan » Wed Oct 27, 2004 8:59 am

From the Airport Travel Cargo web site:
Airport Travel Cargo offers passengers carrying heavy luggage an alternative to overweight fees at a profitable price.
Probably true, but I don't think that's what they want to say...

--fry
Image Miksi leivänpaahtimissa on asetus, jolla leivän saa palaneeksi korpuksi, ettei sitä kukaan syö?