Throw away everything you know and have heard

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
Jentle

Post by Jentle » Sun Oct 31, 2004 7:32 pm

I moved to Finland for 6 months...january to june. Helsinki to be exact, and i have to say that was the most incredible experience of my life. The country is beautiful and the people were awesome. maybe its because i'm a canadian and we tend to act the same as the finns. so for anyone thats going...its not as cold as you think, and have a great time. i did.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Wonderlandless

Post by Wonderlandless » Mon Nov 01, 2004 7:15 am

Ooo, that makes me feel very positive. I've been feeling very nervous about my move to Finland in two years, but hearing about successful moves is always a boost of confidence I need.

Helsinki is exactly where I want to live too. There is an area that I want to live in but I have no idea how much the apartments are. It is 'Siltamäen Ostosk', atleast that's what the sign on the bus stop said that I took everyday to Downtown Helsinki, 70. Do you know where it is? I mean, I do because I stayed there in one of the apartments for a week, but I was wondering if anyone knew how much they ran? They're really cozy.
. . The more you change the less you feel . .

heidieh

Post by heidieh » Mon Nov 01, 2004 9:57 am

The part of city is called SILTAMÄKI, in northern Helsinki. Siltamäen ostoskeskus would translate Siltamäki's shopping center but the sign you saw must've missed a couple of letters. :) I don't think it would be an expensive area to live in, as the northern parts of the city are not as expensive as, for example, the southern/western parts.

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Mon Nov 01, 2004 1:22 pm

Hakuehtosi:

Alue: Siltamäki

Kiertotähdentie 2, Helsinki (Siltamäki) KT 2h 63,5 m² 120.000 € 1974

Jousimiehentie 4, Helsinki (Siltamäki) KT 5h 115,0 m² 185.000 € 1968
Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.

arty fact

Post by arty fact » Tue Nov 16, 2004 3:05 pm

It's true: sometimes books are too artificial about what you can expect by moving in Finland. One thing is the image Finns like to project and other is reality...sometimes that's for the best. By the way, what happened to Roman Schatz's culture shock articles from "6 degrees"? He's gone, just like the "eduskunta" section you had on this forum. Why so?

ilikepeanutbutter

Post by ilikepeanutbutter » Tue Nov 16, 2004 11:04 pm

arty fact wrote:It's true: sometimes books are too artificial about what you can expect by moving in Finland. One thing is the image Finns like to project and other is reality...sometimes that's for the best. By the way, what happened to Roman Schatz's culture shock articles from "6 degrees"? He's gone, just like the "eduskunta" section you had on this forum. Why so?
You're right! I read the culture shock! Finland book. It was good on some points but it failed to talk about customs of Christmas, it was mostly about saunas:)lol I'm still at a loss for understanding alot of customs here:)lol

Katrina

~anna.

Post by ~anna. » Wed Dec 29, 2004 7:13 pm

i really hope that finns are cool and stuff because i'm moving to finland in august to stay a year. i really like cultures that are totally different from mine, so i hope i'll be a great experience.
. Image . Image . Image .