So Many Questions I know not were to start

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
Davebub

Im a silly guy

Post by Davebub » Mon Nov 08, 2004 7:49 pm

I was kidding about the earlier post. My humor can be very misleading.

I am not able to visit before I move for a few reasons. When I first met my Nina we were playing in a internet video game. When we agreed to meet for the first time she came here. She instantly loved New York shopping. (Big suprise eh?) So we originally planned for her to move here. I work with a non profit organization and I cant take much time off. Also being non profit I cant afford to go to Finland.

I am doing a bit of "Poking around" and learning all I can. I am addicted to learning new things anyway ~shrugs~ Most of it useless but I like it anyway.

About winter. I love snow and hate all places that dont have it. Hawaii... Part of California... Bla bla bla... I am a cold weather person and hate to feel all sticky and sweaty. I can put more cloths on but most places I cant take it all of.... :shock:

If a dog loses its mind does it have to sniff its own end to find out who it is? I always wanted to know about that... never knew why exaclty...

Im a silly guy

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

mrjimsfc

Post by mrjimsfc » Mon Nov 08, 2004 8:22 pm

If you would get a degree in special education to go with your experience with special needs people, you could probably earn a pretty fair living in Finland. With the special needs people, you shouldn't need the vocabulary that you would otherwise need for teaching in Finland.

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Mon Nov 08, 2004 8:56 pm

They have "retraining" courses for various medical people as there is a constant (and growing) demand for nurses etc. so that'd take care of both the work & learning Finnish aspects. As education is "free" it wouldn't cost that much, but living expenses are somewhat high.
Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.

Caroline

Re: So Many Questions I know not were to start

Post by Caroline » Mon Nov 08, 2004 9:10 pm

Davebub wrote:I am going to move to Finland to get maried to my fiance. I dont know anything about the country yet at all. I have no idea at all what I am getting into yet... aside from many hours of paperwork, a bit of insanity, and a few million headaches. We were going to use the Maraige Visa to bring her here to New York but I have no Family and she has a whole life that she would leave behind. I finally convinced her that she shouldn't have to do that and that I will go to her. I want to know anything no matter how insignificant.

I know that I will have severe culture shock. I realise that I may seam insain for being willing to leave the US to move to Finland but think of it this way .... I wont have to worry about George W. Bush...lol :shock:

So if anyone can give me a good place to start... Please do.

Welcome to Finland Forum.

I nearly wet myself laughing at Hank's reply :wink:

Seriously though- act in haste, repent in leisure. Finland is a difficult place to live in as a foreigner- I'm from the U.S. too, been here for a total of 4 years with my Finnish husband, speak excellent Finnish, thought I'd had it made, but alas, I changed my mind and look forward to moving back to the U.S. next year. If you do not speak Finnish and are not in IT or somehow connected with a university (job offer or degree studies), the chances of finding work here are drastically decreased unless you either get very lucky or network with the right people, which isn't easy either. Apart from that you must love outdoor sports and living very frugally; otherwise the sense of contentment won't last.

On the other hand, if you are going to get married, it's probably inevitable that you will live in her country sooner or later anyway. Plus if you're hungry for adventure then it would be reasonable to live here for a while and then move back to NYC where there will be more opportunities for both of you.

Don't come here just to escape from Dubya. His face is plastered on every TV channel here anyway and nearly every news bit mentions him "yhdysvaltain presidentti Dzordz Booshin mukaan....." And if you move here, by the time you get your permanent residency permit it'll be the end of his term in office anyway.

You ask about the economy: you will hear different truths depending on whom you talk to, but many agree that the economy is in a sort of perpetual recession. However if you come here to study at the university or polytechnic, that could be a sensible option.

Anyway, good luck!
Former expat in Finland, now living in New Hampshire USA.

acwan

Re: Im a silly guy

Post by acwan » Mon Nov 08, 2004 9:24 pm

Davebub wrote:I was kidding about the earlier post. My humor can be very misleading.
ha... hilarious... :roll:
About winter. I love snow and hate all places that dont have it. Hawaii... Part of California... Bla bla bla... I am a cold weather person and hate to feel all sticky and sweaty. I can put more cloths on but most places I cant take it all of.... :shock:
The snow and cold here should be the least of your worries...Besides, Finns like to keep the heat on so much that you'll be sweating like a pig when you're indoors most of the time anyways. And then you'll just love sitting in the sauna(!) That's one place where you can for sure take everything off!

Good thing you like to learn new things because you have a lot to learn...
Last edited by acwan on Mon Nov 08, 2004 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lawrence Perry

Post by Lawrence Perry » Mon Nov 08, 2004 11:43 pm

Yes,...a lot to learn...

Remember, education is valued in Finland and formal education is required for most jobs. Think Masters level or greater. Just experience does not count for much. Also, You will need to become proficient in Finnish to be considered for most jobs. Think, that you may need to live off your gf for a time.

Finland is a beautiful country but culture shock it will be. Great people and customs and worth the work. Learn all you can before you come. Good Luck!
LP

Davebub

Thankies and more thankies

Post by Davebub » Tue Nov 09, 2004 6:45 am

I have been considering nursing for Autistic people in the Finnish lands. I know already how valueable a Masters or higher can be in Fanland already from my Lady there. She has been telling me of such things. She and I are extremely frugal by nature so that wont be a problem. I can make a 3 course meal from about 3 bucks and a twinkie ^>^. Im not an adventurer that much anymore. 3 years as an american soldier. I have traveled alot in the US. I cant wait to see Europe! But as far as going nuts and partyin. Im done with that. I just want a Masters in Psyc or something that can help me do what I love to do better. Being a tree huggin hippy type... its just the natural way to go.. Thanks for the Tip!

I speak English and a bunch of spanish. I know that the dialect of the Fin language is very diferent and I have been doing a little study but I need more help on that. I tried those listen and follow CD's but... well I kinda "Pooped out" still have then but I cant talk for hours on phone with Lady since all she has is a cell so... I have to find an alternative way.. Maybe there is classes her on Long Island but I havnt found them yet...

If a dog loses its mind does it have to sniff its own end to find out who it is? I always wanted to know about that... never knew why exaclty...

bohica

Post by bohica » Tue Nov 09, 2004 7:22 am

It sounds like your mind is already made up. In that case, go ahead and move to Finland, but bear in mind that the people here aren't just messing with you. But who knows, you might really like it.

As for GWB, it's worse being in Finland than the US right now. Sometimes it seemed like I couldn't go to a bar without some drunken British or Finnish pompous twat wanting to give me a hops-laden lecture on how screwed up my country is. (Sorry to all the Britons and Finns on this board but it's true.) I loathe Bush, but the anti-Americanism that's fashionable these days starts to wear on you after a few years.

Moved back to the US 6 months ago after 6 years in Finland. Now we have the same standard of living except we live with one person working instead of two.

However I will add the caveat that everyone's experiences with and reasons for moving to Finland are different.
Bisad bilash mahadoni?

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Tue Nov 09, 2004 8:35 am

Degree Programme in Human Ageing and Elderly Service
http://www.arcada.fi
Title and extent of studies:
Geronom (YH), equivalent to Bachelor of Social Services, 140 cu, 210 ECTS, 3½ years
http://www.arcada.fi/web/up/up_pres_eng ... _nr=504000

Stadia Polytechnic
http://www.stadia.fi/english/faculties/health.asp

Degree programme in English
DEGREE PROGRAMME IN SOCIAL WELFARE/SOCIAL PEDAGOGY

Bachelor of Social Services

The programme trains students for social pedagogic work in English. The programme includes both theoretical and practical studies and provides the necessary skills and competence to work in managerial positions. During the programme it is possible to earn a British Higher National Diploma in Caring Services.

Prerequisites: Matriculation exam or secondary level Social and Health Professions degree
Duration of studies: 3.5 years
Fees: Students are responsible for the study material themselves.
Credits: 210 ECTS-credits.

Or in Oulu
http://www.oamk.fi/english/ects/2004-20 ... age=Social
Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.