Everything has changed so much in this forum...

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
danita

Post by danita » Wed Nov 10, 2004 4:02 pm

I entered the forum about one year ago, and as I was planning to move to finland, I registered myself looking for encouragement, support, and of course information. All the people that replied to my msg were friendly, and willing to help me as much as they could. But nowadays, eventhough I don´t agree with some msg, or the people composing them, everytime you make fun of them, I feel touched. I feel you are making fun of the people that are about to emigrate to your country....is that so? Or did I misunderstood your msg? You just emphasize on spelling mistakes... Does that really matter? I don´t know why all this forum thing took this direction. I hope it turns back into the usefull site I once met. And above all, moving to another country is not an easy thing. People like me are leaving everything to move , and our heads are about to collapse. I know it is not your problem, but It would be nice then to find a hand and not a barrier, and if you don´t like what we say, then just don´t reply. If we are here is because we look for your help, please don´t make fun of us. And apart from that, why are you here?
We know it will be hard, and a culture shock, but still, we are brave enough to try. Don´t let us down. Imagine what would you do in our situation...would you like to be trated like that?

And once again, sorry about the spelling mistakes, It is not my mother tong, and so I try my best to my myself clear.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Dan

Post by Dan » Wed Nov 10, 2004 4:29 pm

I think there is some cultural humour that's been misunderstood. A lot of the users of this board have contact with each other outside of this site and a few users don't realize that. If you have a problem with a particular user then I suggest that you either PM the user directly or send a PM to the Support alias. I saw a comment the other day that I thought might offend so I sent a PM to the user who posted it. It turns out the user was sitting almost next to the other user they replied to so they were only joking with their comments. I think the comment regarding your spelling was taken the wrong way. I believe the user's intention was to encourage you with your English. I hope you can stick around and get to know a few of the users a little better. Start a few fun threads or send them a PM. Most users are happy to receive them. Good luck finding the information you're looking for too!
[img:1n9ojkdk]images/pics/flags/au.gif[/img:1n9ojkdk]

alloydog

Post by alloydog » Wed Nov 10, 2004 6:50 pm

Also, during the summer there was a bit of a silly season. There were several posts where, I guess, some of the regulars expected the poster to know better. I.e.: "Help, please find me a job", when the poster had already asked for & been given quite a lot of useful advice in a couple of previous posts. Even though the resulting posts were to some degree, understandable they were not excusable, as some of them were downright cruel.

The issue of picking on peoples spelling was dealt with on another board (Finland Forum) where is was openly pointed out that those who have nothing better to do than pick out spelling mistakes, were a bit analy retentive. Suprisingly no one seems to comment on spelling any more ! :wink:

As Dan pointed out, there are a few who have a certain style, and be misinterpreted as being cynical or critical. However, there are one or two who still seem to get their kicks in making provocative posts, critising/taking the piss out of others. But just like a school playground (where they belong), it's best just to ignore them & don't tkae it personally. If they persist, then it becomes obvious & the Forum mods will give the appropriate warnings, which if unheeded, should have the offender barred. (The offender will probably reregister under a different name and whine on about 'censorship', but then that's the sort of ärse'ole they are...)

So stick around & enjoy :D

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Wed Nov 10, 2004 9:45 pm

alloydog wrote:that those who have nothing better to do than pick out spelling mistakes, were a bit analy retentive.
There are quite a few on this board like me who have English as a 2nd or 3rd language, so spleddning misteyks or bad grammer should be understood. Well, in a case the person is being obviously making himself look silly it is nice to give a cue. Only objection I have is to l33tsp33k and u R 2 lazy 2 write -styles.

PS. It is anally retentive. :twisted:
Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.

alloydog

Post by alloydog » Thu Nov 11, 2004 5:51 am

i also wrote "don't tkae it personally"

nnnnnnnnn nnnnnnnnnn nnnnnnnnn !!!! :roll:

PeterF

Post by PeterF » Thu Nov 11, 2004 9:15 am

When I saw this thread I thought it was refering to the nice new Maple Leaf Banner...very pleasing , but I thought Dan was an Ausie not a Canadian :wink:

Anyway....I often wonder why BB dont have spell check....If somoone ask me to spell a word...I usualy get it almost right ..but when I try to type it... :oops: fingers press wrong keys or in the wrong order.
THere was a thread once which tried to prove that providing one got the first two and last two letters right, that the bits in the middle did not mater :wink:

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Thu Nov 11, 2004 10:49 am

I like the new top banner :wink:
Cheers, Hank W.

tjawatts

Post by tjawatts » Thu Nov 11, 2004 11:31 am

Yep a little less "True Finns" looking than the last one ;-)

BTW, you could have a seasonal banner. This one is nice autumn, although we are passed that and it should show a pitch black muddy mess :) Then you could have a snowy one in winter, spring summer.

T

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Thu Nov 11, 2004 11:56 am

Or
:lol:
Cheers, Hank W.

Lau

Re: Everything has changed so much in this forum...

Post by Lau » Thu Nov 11, 2004 1:00 pm

danita wrote:We know it will be hard, and a culture shock, but still, we are brave enough to try. Don´t let us down. Imagine what would you do in our situation...would you like to be trated like that?

And once again, sorry about the spelling mistakes, It is not my mother tong, and so I try my best to my myself clear.
Danita,
this is a forum for foreigners living in Finland but also "true Finns" I think are welcome to join, if they want to support us :D
I myself try to give good piece of advice when somebody back in their own country write something like that "I have been to Finland for a holiday, I'm ready to move to that amazing place! Any advice?" Well, I'm honest and say that here not everything is PINK and NICE as when you are on holiday...
If I were in your shoes, I'd take any good advice as welcome hoping that it does not put me down too much, and yes, I would apreciate it as well. :wink:

Those who criticise our spelling and mistakes (Italian here) maybe think, they don't speak our native language and they master only English?! :evil:

Dan

Post by Dan » Thu Nov 11, 2004 2:47 pm

tjawatts wrote:BTW, you could have a seasonal banner. This one is nice autumn, although we are passed that and it should show a pitch black muddy mess. Then you could have a snowy one in winter, spring summer.
That was the plan hence the name autumn.jpg on the image. Yes autumn is almost over but it doesn't feel like winter in Helsinki yet so I haven't replaced it. FMI have written a guide about the seasons in Finland by the way. It might be useful for those wanting to move to Finland. I know winter doesn't last for 100 - 200 days in Australia.
Winter usually begins in mid-October in Lapland and during November in the rest of Finland, though not until December in the southwestern archipelago.
[img:1n9ojkdk]images/pics/flags/au.gif[/img:1n9ojkdk]

danita

none

Post by danita » Thu Nov 11, 2004 2:55 pm

I am glad, the msg was understood. I apreciate your concern and all the help you can provide to people like me. As I wrote, when I first entered this site, I felt comfortable and supported, but nowadays the air seems to be changing its direction, if you know what I mean by that. But after posting this msg, and reading some of the replies that refer to this matter, I got the feeling that the people who had "lost the direction" understood what I was talking about. And, that there are many others who keep on showing the "spirit " I once met. Thanks to all!!!!!! :lol:

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Re: Everything has changed so much in this forum...

Post by Hank W. » Thu Nov 11, 2004 4:30 pm

Lau wrote: I myself try to give good piece of advice when somebody back in their own country write something like that "I have been to Finland for a holiday, I'm ready to move to that amazing place! Any advice?"
I think, at the end of the day, if the person feels dumb and insulted and doesn't appreciate everyone telling them they're being silly - its still far more better being feeling dumb and silly cozy at home (with a job) dreaming of blondes, than coming here with the pink glasses and after several months in Finland finally realizing they've been dumb and silly - in the cold (with no job), having lost all their money - and the only blonde is a snowman in the yard...

People with realistic determination will survive here - the only problem is to define *what is the reality*... 8)
Cheers, Hank W.