Travelling to Finland by Bus (Eurolines, etc.)

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
Papu

Post by Papu » Fri Nov 19, 2004 11:06 am

Hi,

I´m moving to helsinki and I would prefer moving up there by Bus (with Eurolines or another buscompany) rather than by plane.

1.) It´s way cheaper
2.) you can take 4 times the baggage (htis is a big plus!)

... everywhere else in Europe this is a great way to move... all the foreign workers travel that way - from Bulgaria to Portugal.

I just couldn´t find a bus company that goes to Helsinki!

Does any one know about Bus companies who carry all the cheap labor to Helsinki (from Turkey, Eastern Europe or wherever)

Thanks,
Paul

Jabbadabbadooo

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

PeterF

Post by PeterF » Fri Nov 19, 2004 11:16 am

Check out this link..
I notice that there are "international buses" from Helsinki to Sweden..
And that there appears to be "International buses" from Sweden to where ever..but I suspect you will neeed to change bus and possibly bus company, and that will make ticketing complicated...and could involve some time problems...waiting for the next bus etc..
http://www.bugeurope.com/transport/busfi.html

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Fri Nov 19, 2004 11:18 am

Öööö.... who comes to here?

For cheap-cheap anything to Varsaw or Riga or Vilnus or to Tallinn. (You can get cheap bus to Tallinn from any of these) Then from Tallinn you can get a cheap ferry (And you won't have to worry about the baggage as it will be relieved on the way...)
Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.

PeterF

Post by PeterF » Fri Nov 19, 2004 11:19 am

Hank W. wrote: (And you won't have to worry about the baggage as it will be relieved on the way...)
i.e Stolen.... :roll:

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Fri Nov 19, 2004 11:29 am

Don't be so crass... it must be a CIA plot if your baggage disappears!

(Well, there is this American dude that has a lot of grief towards Holland:

"It started at Centraal Station on my arrival from the airport. My baggage consisted of four or five pieces -- too much for me to carry all at once. Leaving some of it on the terminal floor, I advanced to the lockers with my carry-on bag and one other piece. In the locker area, I encountered a Middle-Eastern man who claimed to be "waiting for an Englishman." He agreed to watch my carry-on bag and the other piece until I returned with the rest of my luggage. When I came back about five minutes later, he was gone and my pocket stereo had disappeared from my carry-on bag.he next day, October 20, I stopped for a snack at Febo's on Damrak. After ordering a milkshake at the counter, I turned and walked over to the automat windows to select a sandwich. By the time I returned to the counter, my milkshake was gone (the proprietor was kind enough to replace it free of charge). That day or the next, in a similar incident, someone stole a pair of gloves. Back at the Hotel Nicholaas Witsen, someone entered and searched my room, stealing a slip of paper containing the phone number of somebody I had met during the flight. During my first three days in Amsterdam, another pair of gloves disappeared from a suitcase in my hotel room. One day, as I walked from the hotel to the tram stop, a woman walking past me asked "Are you hung?" (a sexual reference). I said nothing.

The most portentous incident occurred on October 22. Seeking help from non-governmental organizations, I carried a briefcase that contained, among other documents, a few papers intended for submission to the Dutch Ministry of Justice in support of my asylum request. Just outside Centraal Station, on the way to the tram platform, I met, and briefly chatted with, a tall thin Englishman wearing a stovepipe hat. At the platform, I set my briefcase down on the bench and stood next to it. A Middle-Eastern man approached me from the opposite side and called attention to the back of my coat. Someone had spat on me! I started to take off the coat in order to clean it. By the time I turned around again, my briefcase was gone. Waiting at the Amsterdam Police Headquarters to report the crime (14), I heard Dutch police officers laughing about the CIA.")

http://www.angelfire.com/nj/jhgraf/hardrealall.html
So disappearing baggage is a CIA plot !!!!!
:shock:
Cheers, Hank W.

Papu

Thought so....

Post by Papu » Sun Nov 21, 2004 2:47 pm

Thanks for the replies,

I guess it makes sense that no bus goes to Helsinki - being that there is no road connection to Finnland and all that...

I guess I´ll just thumb my way up then.

Kiitos!
Jabbadabbadooo

Richard

Re: Thought so....

Post by Richard » Sun Nov 21, 2004 3:21 pm

Papu wrote:I guess I´ll just thumb my way up then.
Don't think you'll manage 4 times the baggage that way :shock:

strawberry

Post by strawberry » Wed Nov 24, 2004 7:05 pm

Ummm, maybe the connection(s) doesn't exist anymore (???) but that's exactly how and why (baggage) I did it in reverse in 1992 = took the coach from Helsinki Linja-autoasema and ended up in London a couple of days later... Oh, those were the days... I feel as if it was a hundred years ago! :lol: Yup, there were a couple of ferry crossings for obvious reasons: Turku - Stockhol and Oostende (I think it was) to Dover where we were subjected to the interrogation procedures as per usual in them days (pre-EU). Is it really true that "Eurolines" don't do it anymore?? I guess flights are too cheap?

Anyways, I've been told certain flight cargo arrangements are surprisingly affordable (British Airways I think it was) - check'em out! You could try and get a return ticket during a campaign of sorts and then only use it one way. I have a feeling the coach is not as affordable in comparison as it used to be...
"Sitaatti on älyn säihkyvä korvike" (Jukka Virtanen)

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Thu Nov 25, 2004 11:00 am

I took the train to London via a few places in 1991 after my military service - POMERANIA to Sweden (the cheapest ferry ever on deck seats - sulky Poles and a really surprised Swedish passoprt officer of my "hejsan, je ska ha e' tåg i stund, kan ja få gå nu")
Cheers, Hank W.

gon2o

Re: Travelling to Finland by Bus (Eurolines, etc.)

Post by gon2o » Thu Nov 25, 2004 3:28 pm

Papu wrote: I´m moving to helsinki and I would prefer moving up there by Bus (with Eurolines or another buscompany) rather than by plane.

1.) It´s way cheaper
2.) you can take 4 times the baggage (htis is a big plus!)
l

How about taking the Train?

don't know woh much it would cost all together, but there are some realy good offers.
The ÖBB eg. has some offers like 29 € to Hamburg. (Liegewagen from 49, Schlafwagen form 59 €)
I'm sure it's possible to find some connection where you doesn't have to change trains to often.

PeterF

Re: Travelling to Finland by Bus (Eurolines, etc.)

Post by PeterF » Thu Nov 25, 2004 3:49 pm

gon2o wrote:[How about taking the Train?

I'm sure it's possible to find some connection where you doesn't have to change trains to often.
UK to somewhere in France change to Train that goes to Holland probably via Brussels...Train from Holland to some-where in Germany...find train that gets into Denmark..head for Copenhagen...daah .. how to get across to Sweden....ferry..the bridge dont have railway...
Get to Stockholm..another ferry...

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Fri Nov 26, 2004 11:10 am

The Hamburg-Stockholm night train goes on the ferry.
Cheers, Hank W.