Letter to the editor at the Helsingin Sanomat

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
khu

Post by khu » Tue Nov 23, 2004 11:30 am

I read that someone write in to HS complaining about UVI, and bemoaning their 5 month wait for a permit for a married spouse, and that UVI responded. Anyone read this article, and if so, willing to provide a translation or comments?

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Tue Nov 23, 2004 12:21 pm

Well, I read it with half an eyelid open. It was all in rouge band bureaucratese.

Cliff notes if I recall correct the facts were something

it was submitted xx, delivered yy before the date of xyz when the move was planned, and the average time is xyz+n so it was shorter than average process time, there were no extra expeditionary pleas submitted, besides which its a residence permit you applied for, not a visa

Summarized = get your facts straight and stop complaining you silly person. :lol:
Last edited by Hank W. on Tue Nov 23, 2004 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.

Dan

Post by Dan » Tue Nov 23, 2004 12:25 pm

Now, now Hank. I'm guessing khu that yours still hasn't arrived? I noticed your thread hasn't been updated in a while.
[img:1n9ojkdk]images/pics/flags/au.gif[/img:1n9ojkdk]

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Tue Nov 23, 2004 12:33 pm

I saw the original letter to the editor and it was almost a generic complaint you get here too. I was actually surprised that UVI commented at all. They must have hired a PR person.

(but not hired more staff to go through the applications)
Cheers, Hank W.

khu

Post by khu » Tue Nov 23, 2004 12:38 pm

Thanks. That's generally what I heard thirdhand. I wonder if I also wrote in and talked about the lying bureaucrats (several times saying things like 'oh, it'll be ready in a week' or 'i'll do it today' then literally getting no movement on it for another two weeks) and the general rude attitude what they would say. (My girlfriend is the one who told me about one guy's condescention and smugness, it's not just me).

But the idea that it COULD take 5 months to process something for a married spouse is kind of weird. I doubt Finland has the rates of immigration that the US, for example, has, while I'm sure INS is terrible.

Dan: Just got some confirmation from my girlfriend today: they approved it, mailed a copy to her and faxed it to the LA consulate...on the 17th. Why the consulate hasn't yet contacted me is a great big mystery to me. I'm sure it takes 2 weeks to stamp my passport and mail it back to me. The mail-donkey route from Los Angeles to Seattle is treacherous :roll:

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Tue Nov 23, 2004 12:45 pm

See now the rates of immigration have gone up, but they still have the bureaucracy from 1970. At that time there was very little immigration so the person to handle the final say was the director themself...
Cheers, Hank W.

khu

Post by khu » Tue Nov 23, 2004 12:52 pm

Yeah, I guess so. Like I said, I've heard bad things about INS too, and generally the US has stricter laws, but I'd attribute that to the amount of people who want to immigrate here. Don't think Finland (nice as it is) gets nearly those rates per capita, but I could be wrong.

Well, so I'm approved to stay for 6 months...from Nov 5th (2.5 weeks ago, and if my girlfriend hadn't been monitoring UVI I wouldnt have ANY idea, as the consulate hasn't contacted me) to May 5th 2005. By the time I actually get to buy a ticket and get to Finland, a month will have passed since that Nov. 5th date. Incredible.

PeterF

Post by PeterF » Tue Nov 23, 2004 1:02 pm

Good job WLM is away..or he would be here telling us about 25 years ago when all applicants were subjected to a personal inteview from a woman who was Joe Stalin's half sister :shock: and anyone with a hint of a liberal democratic thought was immediatley sent on a special course in politics etc etc :roll: and that was for Brits escaping from Mrs Thatcher...Where there any American immigrants that sneaked into Finland in those days??

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Tue Nov 23, 2004 1:13 pm

Eugene Holman I think :lol: (He's the linguist professor in HU and AFAIK landed here in the 1970's)
Cheers, Hank W.

Richard

Post by Richard » Tue Nov 23, 2004 1:20 pm

Hank W. wrote:Eugene Holman I think :lol: (He's the linguist professor in HU and AFAIK landed here in the 1970's)
That name sounds familiar he's active in one of the baltic newsgroups always arguing with some guy called henry *looks at Hank enquiringly*

PeterF

Post by PeterF » Tue Nov 23, 2004 1:23 pm

Richard wrote:
Hank W. wrote:Eugene Holman I think :lol: (He's the linguist professor in HU and AFAIK landed here in the 1970's)
That name sounds familiar he's active in one of the baltic newsgroups always arguing with some guy called henry *looks at Hank enquiringly*
http://www.eng.helsinki.fi/main/staff/holman_e.shtml

Languages
Finnish, English, German, Japanese, Estonian, Vepsian, Russian, Latin, Swedish, Gothic

neil

Post by neil » Tue Nov 23, 2004 1:52 pm

Khu,

Here is an interesting story from an Egyptian fellow who had rough treatment from embassy staff (he is married to a Finn):

bb/viewtopic.php?t=6677
Neil

Please add a link to https://www.finlandforum.org

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Tue Nov 23, 2004 2:20 pm

Richard wrote:That name sounds familiar he's active in one of the baltic newsgroups always arguing with some guy called henry *looks at Hank enquiringly*
That kook is Henry A if I get the henry's right :lol: Eugene posted occasionally to the s.c.n. and is really versed in Finnish Language. If one wants an explanation on some linguistic thing Google his posts. Worth the read.
Last edited by Hank W. on Tue Nov 23, 2004 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers, Hank W.

PeterF

Post by PeterF » Tue Nov 23, 2004 3:19 pm

Hank W. wrote:: Eugene .. is really versed in Finnish Language. If one wants an explanation on some linguistic thing Google his posts. Worth the read.
An under-statement..a sample....
http://www.lysator.liu.se/nordic/scn/finlang.html
He states that the key to cracking Finnish is to first crack the ""consonant gradation""...then it all falls into place...(after a few years practice and some hard work.)

Caroline

Post by Caroline » Tue Nov 23, 2004 9:23 pm

PeterF wrote:Where there any American immigrants that sneaked into Finland in those days??

Actually yes. My father's cousin, who is almost 60, has been living near Turku for about 30 years. His wife is Finnish and they produced 3 little blonde dutiful social democrats :wink: (ok, one of their sons has dark hair but who's counting).
Former expat in Finland, now living in New Hampshire USA.