Mechanical Engineering Jobs in Finland?

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
shah269

Post by shah269 » Wed Nov 24, 2004 10:57 pm

dumb question,
say there was this guy!
he had a bs in mechanical engineering
he had oh say 3+ years of experience
and he even worked in finland for about oh say 4 months an in intern for a pulp and paper company that was called Ahlstrom.
how impossible would it be for him to find a job in Finland?
oh by the way he is using the internet to find a job because he is still at his current job in the states?

also how much do mechanical engineers get paid?
thanks alot guys!
Shah

holy cow they pay me to do what now!

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

sayx

Post by sayx » Thu Nov 25, 2004 7:02 am

What CAD softwares do you no? and check your PM
Image Serving my 9th year of a life sentence with no chance of early parole

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Thu Nov 25, 2004 11:09 am

I'd say the employability is on a better stance than with most. (and help, I need not ask you if you understand the "realities" like what is salary).

The http://www.mol.fi website of course - you know the jargon?; but I really would expect that you need to come here for a stint and do the interview round in person. If its a "hot blonde syndrome" (yes yes yes we know all about it) you can search about the "what to do" and "what not to do" (like idiotically apply a work permit without a job offer).

anyhoo - good luck.
Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.

shah269

Post by shah269 » Sat Nov 27, 2004 4:39 pm

well i work for a verry verry big engineering company,
i can't say who because its sensative, but i'm sure you can figure it out.
well any way i have worked for them for about three years now.
i enjoy my work and i love the people i work with but my wife is a Finn and every now and then we get into this funk, ie man this country has gone to the red necks!. and we start thinking of maybe moving to finland.

As i have stated before i actually interned in Finland for 6 months working for the Ahlstrom (now Andritz) company. I really enjoyed the industry i was working in and the people at the company were amazing! I don't care who says what about you Finns but you are some of the nicest people i have ever met. ok a little shy but other than that you guys are great people. well any way long story short, the company (Andritz) suffered some major losses and things hit the fan. so i never got the permanent job. so i returned back to the states were i received my BS in mechanical negineering.
and then quickly found a job with my current employer.

I have gone out of my way to be a highly trained individual,
i'm famillar with Ansys, Pro E and i'm Six Sigma green belt certified.
and i have a ton of experience dealing with large production machinery.
only catch? the only words i know of in Finnish are those that you can't say when meeting the parents :lol:

so what do you guys think? do i have a chance in hell even thogh i'm currently not in Finland?
thanks!

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Sun Nov 28, 2004 9:09 pm

You realize your employment would be in Finland... err... "with the rednecks" ;) ... with a bit of Twin Peaks thrown in.

The only thing is look for the salary and then look again and then do it on paper and pencil and no, they're not kidding.
Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.

shah269

Post by shah269 » Tue Dec 14, 2004 11:42 pm

You realize your employment would be in Finland... err... "with the rednecks" ... with a bit of Twin Peaks thrown in.

The only thing is look for the salary and then look again and then do it on paper and pencil and no, they're not kidding.

laughed my butt of just now! my boss probably thinks that i'm nuts! thanks! aaah that was great!

Cory,
yah i guess the IM think is down, but i did receive your email, and replied.
i aslo shot your husband a quick little note stating that you had noted my post on this web page and that you had said it was ok for me to send him my resume.
...................................................................................................
yah i know that in finland engineers are treated like dirt, nah well its worse we engineers in finland are treated a little lower than dirt.
i know this because i use to work for the Andritz company in Kotka.
it was lots of fun but.....how did Rodny put it, "no respect no respect at all!"
can some one explain this for me?

as for the pay?
lets see i get a plutry 55k a year here as an engineer.
my rent is around 1k
and thanks to the new administration i pay 35% taxes!
wooh hoo!
so if any thing i'm looking to either make a little more or make the same so that i can maintian the same "quality of life"

but any way, like i said i love my job, its different.
i work with some really great people
but
A) the pay stinks
B) wouldn't mind living in or near Helsinki. great city
C) i really think that this country is going down hill fast!

well lets see where it goes, i'm not desprate yet.
just crossing my figers and hoping for the best i guess.
thanks every one!

DAL

Post by DAL » Wed Dec 15, 2004 12:09 am

This link is from Statistics Finland kinda like the Bureau of Labor and Statistics in the US.

http://www.stat.fi/tup/suoluk/taskue_palkat.html

Good Luck
Dustin

I have nothing witty to say

shah269

Post by shah269 » Wed Dec 15, 2004 10:46 pm

Cory wrote:
shah269 wrote:Cory,
yah i guess the IM think is down, but i did receive your email, and replied.
i aslo shot your husband a quick little note stating that you had noted my post on this web page and that you had said it was ok for me to send him my resume.
He's fully aware of the possibility! I would never have made such a suggestion without having first passed it by him. :) Hope something comes of it!

Cory
hay Cory,
yah i have been up to my eyes in work here, trying to catch up on all my missed work and getting ready for my next buisness trip. but yah your husband sent me a little note. pleas tell him that i really appreciate it.
I wrote him some thing back quickly but pleas tell him that when i have the chance that i'll write some thing a little more substantial.
But thanks i really appreciate the help!
Shah