Moving to Finland from Ireland soon and need HELP!!!!!!

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
Deman

Post by Deman » Wed Dec 22, 2004 8:23 pm

Hank W. wrote:Ok, here we go:

http://www.welfare.ie/foi/ub_unempben.html#part9

(c) Transfer of Benefit - Article 69

Under this Article a person who has been in receipt of UB in one of the European countries for at least 4 weeks, may transfer this benefit to one of the other European countries for a maximum of 13 weeks (78 days), provided the person is seeking employment in that country. The person registers as unemployed in the country to which s/he travels, and the local social services office pays the benefit, subsequently recouping it from the home country.
(d) Outgoing cases from Ireland

A person in receipt of Irish UB may transfer the UB claim to one of the European countries for up to 13 weeks (78 days). If s/he has claimed less than 4 weeks UB before the date of their departure, s/he may still be permitted to transfer on production of a letter from FÁS confirming that s/he is unlikely to secure full-time employment in this country in the foreseeable future. The form E303 must be completed by the local office with details of rates of payment etc. The claimant takes this form to the social services office of the country to which they are travelling.

EU Records section should be contacted for further details of the procedures to be followed in such cases.

So you better start sweettalking someone at FAS, as:

(b) Voluntarily left employment

A person may be disqualified for receiving UB for up to 9 weeks from date of leaving employment if s/he has left the employment voluntarily and without just cause.

Just like in Finland.

This is true. Before I left Ireland in 1998, FAS told me I had to quit my job and be unemployed for 4 weeks if I wanted to get unemployment money from KELA immediately (Actually it's via KELA). During those 4 weeks unemployed in Ireland (my wife and daughter were here in Finland all that time) FAS sent me invitations to job interviews, which of course I had to turn down, which didn't please FAS very much. The left hand didn't know what the right hand was doing. In the meantime, a H**** K****** (from Teleste) phoned me from Finland and wanted to interview me face-to-face in his office in Turku. I phoned FAS and told them about this interview and they said "you have to stay in Ireland for another 10 days if you want unemployment money!" By the time I got to Finland Teleste had found another employee, C**** L********, from Galway, and he's still there. I was unemployed for the first 5-6 months I was here - but KELA paid me.
Bureaucratic Bulls***!!!!!!
http://www.fallofnations.com/play.asp?uid=14510
Last edited by Deman on Thu Dec 23, 2004 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Richard

Post by Richard » Wed Dec 22, 2004 8:27 pm

Deman wrote:C**** L********, from Galway
I'd edit his name out

craiced

Post by craiced » Thu Dec 23, 2004 11:15 am

Thanks, I appreciate the advice for all of you. I will be in Finland in a couple of weeks but by the sound of things I would have more chance of survival walking naked across the arctic. Should i cancel my ticket and sit back in my nice easy, secure well paid job that bores me to tears or take a chance? hmmmmm. Chance.

Lilianne

Post by Lilianne » Thu Dec 23, 2004 12:15 pm

Just wanted to say: Welcome!

However hard it might get, don't get it wrong. They've done it and know what they're talking about if anyone. Just remember someone's welcomed you to the hard and cold country of the North.

-Lilianne

Deman

Post by Deman » Thu Dec 23, 2004 3:19 pm

Lilianne wrote:Just wanted to say: Welcome!

However hard it might get, don't get it wrong. They've done it and know what they're talking about if anyone. Just remember someone's welcomed you to the hard and cold country of the North.

-Lilianne
Take a chance! But make sure everything is sorted out first. Don't rush things. Go to your local FAS office after Christmas and they'll give you advice (if it's possible to find a competent person there!!)
BTW, where in Ireland are you?

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Thu Dec 23, 2004 7:16 pm

Yeah, not like we're trying to be negative here, rather acting as the devils advocates in questioning the miracle.

Midnight mass at henry's or maria's ? :wink:
Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.

scoobymcdoo

Post by scoobymcdoo » Thu Dec 23, 2004 8:26 pm

I have just arrived here (2 weeks ago). It was much easier for us to come here as John (other half) was working for a Finnish company (NOT Nokia) already in the Uk, so for him it was basically an office move. I am currently unemployable (pregnant). The first thing we did was go to the Aliens police station and register as a resident, we then went to the maastratti (pregnant brain spelling) and got our ID number. We then went to KELA. We managed this (and the tax office) in one day in Espoo. This ID number is the most important thing you should get as it enables you to open a bank account, get a mobile, bus pass, doctor etc.

My next thing is to enrol on a Finnish for Foreigners course (when espoo.fi update their webpage)! I started learning some Finnish in the UK through tapes, CD-Roms and books...dont be misled by people saying that everyone speaks English...yes they may all speak good English but you try going to the supermarket and looking at the food etc! My limited knowledge of the language has been very valuable and I'm looking forward to improving on it.
Good luck,
Hannah