Applying for Permnant Residence?

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
ilikepeanutbutter

Post by ilikepeanutbutter » Tue Dec 28, 2004 1:10 am

I know you go to the local immigration station (which needs more chairs in Vantaa for cryin out loud.) and all, but there is anything else? I'm going in May (I'm an early worrier :D ) and I was wondering how it goes. Do you have to go in for an interview in Helsinki? Can I travel back home while it's being processed?

Any info would be appreciated:) Thanks!
Kat

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

ilikepeanutbutter

Post by ilikepeanutbutter » Wed Dec 29, 2004 5:13 pm

Hank, where are you ? :D

Kat

masao

Re: Applying for Permnant Residence?

Post by masao » Wed Dec 29, 2004 10:59 pm

ilikepeanutbutter wrote:I know you go to the local immigration station (which needs more chairs in Vantaa for cryin out loud.) and all, but there is anything else? I'm going in May (I'm an early worrier :D ) and I was wondering how it goes. Do you have to go in for an interview in Helsinki? Can I travel back home while it's being processed?

Kat

It's only a paper work. You need two photos and have to fill the form. It took them a bit more than two months last year to change my two-year permit to permanent one. I simply left my passport to Vantaa Police and picked it up later. Since passports are our possessions, I believe that they let you have it when you need it even during the change process.
Anyway I would like to suggest you to start the procedure a few months before the current permit expires.

br, masao

ilikepeanutbutter

Re: Applying for Permnant Residence?

Post by ilikepeanutbutter » Thu Dec 30, 2004 11:12 pm

masao wrote:
ilikepeanutbutter wrote:I know you go to the local immigration station (which needs more chairs in Vantaa for cryin out loud.) and all, but there is anything else? I'm going in May (I'm an early worrier :D ) and I was wondering how it goes. Do you have to go in for an interview in Helsinki? Can I travel back home while it's being processed?

Kat

It's only a paper work. You need two photos and have to fill the form. It took them a bit more than two months last year to change my two-year permit to permanent one. I simply left my passport to Vantaa Police and picked it up later. Since passports are our possessions, I believe that they let you have it when you need it even during the change process.
Anyway I would like to suggest you to start the procedure a few months before the current permit expires.

br, masao
Thanks for replying! :) I'm glad to know it's nothing more than paperwork.

Have a happy New Year!:)

Kat

AO

Post by AO » Tue Jan 04, 2005 11:52 am

I just got my permanent. The one year expired Nov 29. We went I think late Oct. She told me that since it was for the permanent, they could not process it until Nov 29th. But what she did is kept our passports, had all the paperwork ready. we paid the fee, and on the 29th they put the stamp in our passports. Then she mailed them certified mail and they arrived at the post office on the 30th for us to pick up. WE had the option of picking up our passports, but the police station is so out of the way it was easier just to get them mailed and pick them up from the post office.

Oh and she gave us a notice to give to Kela stating we were eligible for a permanent visa, so that we could use the benefits still until we got our passports back. But I had to ask for that, it's not something they normally tell you.
~Amber~

ilikepeanutbutter

Post by ilikepeanutbutter » Thu Jan 06, 2005 1:53 am

AO wrote:I just got my permanent. The one year expired Nov 29. We went I think late Oct. She told me that since it was for the permanent, they could not process it until Nov 29th. But what she did is kept our passports, had all the paperwork ready. we paid the fee, and on the 29th they put the stamp in our passports. Then she mailed them certified mail and they arrived at the post office on the 30th for us to pick up. WE had the option of picking up our passports, but the police station is so out of the way it was easier just to get them mailed and pick them up from the post office.

Oh and she gave us a notice to give to Kela stating we were eligible for a permanent visa, so that we could use the benefits still until we got our passports back. But I had to ask for that, it's not something they normally tell you.
Thanks again for the info!:)

Kat

Malfiorre

Post by Malfiorre » Wed Feb 09, 2005 4:48 pm

I had a very hard time trying to obtain a residence permit from the United States Finnish Consulate. They wanted me to show all kinds of documentation for outrageous things. For instance proof of where I was staying and what size apartment it was. Also, a letter from my bank telling them I had at least the cash equivalent of 40 euros a day for my entire stay. I just gave up and changed my return date on my ticket to return before the 90 days is up in case I can't come up with a solution. I will look for more answers when I arrive. They also wanted to charge me 236 dollars for the privilege. I called a visa and passport company here and they told me that in regard to Finland all I had to do is apply for a residency permit as soon as I arrived. That it was all I needed to do. I suppose I will see when I get there.

sayx

Post by sayx » Thu Feb 10, 2005 12:00 pm

ilikepeanutbutter dont you live in the middle of nothing? I did my perm. a few months ago in Nurmijärvi and they said come back in four days. you have to love the sticks.
Image Serving my 9th year of a life sentence with no chance of early parole

mookoo

Post by mookoo » Mon Feb 14, 2005 9:15 am

Malfiorre wrote:I had a very hard time trying to obtain a residence permit from the United States Finnish Consulate. They wanted me to show all kinds of documentation for outrageous things. For instance proof of where I was staying and what size apartment it was. Also, a letter from my bank telling them I had at least the cash equivalent of 40 euros a day for my entire stay. I just gave up and changed my return date on my ticket to return before the 90 days is up in case I can't come up with a solution. I will look for more answers when I arrive. They also wanted to charge me 236 dollars for the privilege. I called a visa and passport company here and they told me that in regard to Finland all I had to do is apply for a residency permit as soon as I arrived. That it was all I needed to do. I suppose I will see when I get there.
If you are talking about the residence permit application from the UVI, the basic application is pretty easy. You don't have all that stuff about living space and income on there. But you might have to fill out an appendix to the application based on which reason you are applying (family ties, school, work, etc.) So, I don't want to worry you, but you are not out of the woods yet. You might have to provide that information once you get to Finland as well ... meaning describing where you live and what your income is. But again, that depends on your reason for applying as noted on the basic application. I will be applying under basis of family ties after I am married, and we have to file an appendix that requires information about our home and our combined income :x

But I remember going through the same trouble trying to apply while still in the states. When asking for help from the Finnish consulate, UVI, and KELA, they made it seem like I was asking them to donate a kidney or something. :roll: