UmmmI Think i want to move to finland....

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
Jussi

Post by Jussi » Fri Jan 07, 2005 11:33 pm

:? Umm...This is my first post on this forum. I am an australian and i am Married to a Finn. We have been living together for about 1 year. We currently live in Ireland and we are thinking of moving to finland. The reason for this is i would like to do a degree at a finnish polytechnic and my wife would like to study at Uni. Now, For my questions; Does My residence permit in Ireland help me get a residence permit in Finland?? And am I entitled to Kela money while I study?? I have been working in ireland for around 6 months...Does this help with getting my social insurance? and Finally how long will it take to get a residence permit. I have been amazed at reading things like 3 months, in ireland i walked into the police immigration office and i had my residence permit within a few hours... i had hoped that this would be the same all over europe. anyway if anyone could help me out that would be great.

Cheers

Jussi

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Sat Jan 08, 2005 4:27 pm

Your permit in Ireland doesn't help you at all, but being married to a Finn is the key here. Better walk in the embassy, fill in the paperwork and wait for the four months they twiddle their thumbs. Then you need not worry about study permits and whatnots. Though you need to face you're most likely being financially on your own. Kela money can be applied for after you've lived in Finland working for two years, they drop you off the social security quite fast these days even if you are a Finn and move abroad. And compared to walking into places and getting a job is a thing that happens in Ireland and Finnish fairytales.
Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.

Jussi

Post by Jussi » Sat Jan 08, 2005 8:25 pm

thanks Hank, Still cant believe it takes that long. what about integration aid? if i do a finnish course will i get that? and if i do get it how much do they pay??

Cheers Josh

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Sat Jan 08, 2005 11:07 pm

Integration aid is a different thing. It is in concert with the employment people. The key then is once you enroll to a paolytechnic you're not entitled to integration because you are a student... The http://www.kela.fi and http://www.mol.fi websites has the information, albeit well hidden.
Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.

ilikepeanutbutter

Post by ilikepeanutbutter » Sat Jan 08, 2005 11:08 pm

Jussi wrote:thanks Hank, Still cant believe it takes that long. what about integration aid? if i do a finnish course will i get that? and if i do get it how much do they pay??

Cheers Josh
4 months is if you're lucky. Both of my visas took 6 months. They probably blew the dust off and granted them in 2 days :D lol I hope it's quicker for you though!

I don't know about KELA, you can go to their offices and talk to them. I think KELA pays for your beginning Finnish courses, they have a program where they try to introduce foreigner's into Finnish society.

Hope this sorta helped!
Kat