telling Finland how you will support yourself...help

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
tampereblue

Post by tampereblue » Tue Jan 11, 2005 1:50 pm

Am applying for my SS number at the moment, am married to a Finn and have all the papers, in order to register to get a SS number the police want to know how I will support myself after the 3 month period.

What do i tell them? What do they consider to be 'enough to support myself?' I am setting up business here so could I give them a letter from the company in the UK I am freelancing for, saying how much and when I will be paid, as well as bank statements from the UK?

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

PeterF

Post by PeterF » Tue Jan 11, 2005 2:05 pm

Are you an EU citizen?
You are coming here for what reason?

The social security (Kela) number is of little interest or relevence to the police..they are concerned about your residential status qualification.
What is it?
Married to a Finn and a EU citizen should be adequate.
Last edited by PeterF on Tue Jan 11, 2005 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rosamunda

Post by Rosamunda » Tue Jan 11, 2005 2:37 pm

:?

Utterly wierd.... nobody ever asked me (also married to a Finn) how I was going to support myself.

dusty_bin

Post by dusty_bin » Tue Jan 11, 2005 3:38 pm

If you are from the EU there is no strict requirement in terms of cash in the bank, as there is for non EU folks
However, the police can ask for evidence that you can support yourself.

I do not know, but it would seem sensible to offer the information that you have said you have. They will only be concerned that you are not going to become a burden upon the state.

If they do not like what you offer they will ask for clarification, I am sure.

tampereblue

Thanks guys

Post by tampereblue » Wed Jan 12, 2005 11:13 am

Thanks for the pointers. I guess I will take what I have along and see what they say.

ilikepeanutbutter

Post by ilikepeanutbutter » Wed Jan 12, 2005 4:54 pm

Not to be a day late and a dollar short.

You could always say your spouse is supporting you. I did that when they asked about me being able to support myself. It went over fine.

Kat

tampereblue

My wife the student...!

Post by tampereblue » Thu Jan 13, 2005 10:39 am

Hmm, not sure they will buy that if she is a student. I think I should be ok with the marriage certificate and a letter from the company in the Uk that is contracting me, I have asked them [and they are going to] provide a letter sayin they will be paying me xxxx amount for at least the next 6 months.

I am having to be careful about what I say I am earning because it affects my wife's student grant.

Fin-noy

Re: telling Finland how you will support yourself...help

Post by Fin-noy » Sun Jan 16, 2005 2:10 am

I applied for my SSN last Jan. 5, just showed my permit, after a week the SSN confirmation arrived. I applied for it (SSN) at the Maistraatit (Local register offices), they just ask for my permit and marriage certificate. hmmmm i am surprise that u applied it at the police.

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Sun Jan 16, 2005 1:13 pm

Light your wicks.

The (misnamed)social-security/(officially)personal identity number/ (in reality)the number everyone asks is given to a person by the Population Registry Centre - their "service window" is the Maistraatti. The Maistraatti gives you a number if you have a "good reason" i.e. work and or residency. They will however not rggister you as a permanent resident necessarily before after the police gives you a residence permit.

The police then again does in the case of EU citizens the "registering of an EU national" also understood as the "applying for a residence permit". They have nothing to do with the issuing of the PIN number, other than that in some cases you need to have a residence permit before you are given a PIN, but thats then again depending on the catch-22 you are in.

People say trying to get a bus pass might have to go back&forth 3 separate times as the flow of information is one-way and the Maistraatti doesn't see if the police have given someone a residence permit or not.

KELA then again requires you to show up in the PRC as a permanent resident when they make their query.
Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.

tjawatts

Post by tjawatts » Sun Jan 16, 2005 3:53 pm

Surely registering at the maistraatti should be sufficient to register the right to live in Finland of an EU citizen, it seems the police have put processing the EU apps on the back burner seeing as they probably dont get to reject many any more :)

T