Extending residence permit in Malmi Police Station?

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
tsuishant

Post by tsuishant » Wed Jan 12, 2005 9:04 pm

Hi!

Anyone knows the openning hours in Malmi police station for extending residence permit? How long one should expect to wait there? (in the police station and for the permit), what should I bring with me except for my passport?

My husband is Finn and I am not an EU citizen. My current A5 is due in the end of March, then I should be able to change my permit to the permanent one. When I lived in another city, the police only accepted the application one month before it is due. However now I need to show the HOAS by 21.1 some kind of police paper to prove that I can continue my residence permit in order to extend my renting contract. Can I hand in the application now to the police station? What a tight timing!

I heard that it always takes long time in Helsinki to wait in the police station, and I really can't go there many times because I have work during the day too. Please give me some advice so I could bring everything ready with me and make it done at one time!

Thanks a lot!!!

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

boO_fi

Post by boO_fi » Wed Jan 12, 2005 11:05 pm

Hello

I went to the Malmi police station last week at 7:45 AM and there was already a queue with 7 people. I don't know if it's like that everyday, but i suspect that it is since the time I got out of my meeting with the immigration handler (or whatever their title is) the whole place was filled up with people and it looked like they were in for a 3 hour wait.

The opening times are located on the police website, but if i'm correct, they open at 8 AM and close at either 5 or 4.

GO THERE EARLY. You won't regret it.

My residency permit expires in April and I did all my paperwork 3 months ahead of time. The waiting period for an extention/renewal i'm told is 6 months. I think they would accept your application (give uvi a call, they have their lines open for immigration questions from 10-11 AM on tuesdays and thursdays).

As for what to bring with you...I don't know...possibly bring a copy of your wedding certificate, tax forms that you have/bank statements (as proof for means of support), your passport, 1 passport sized photo, the talonkirja (to show that you two live with each other) and proof of your studies (since you mentioned HOAS i assume you're studying as well?).

I would think that the forms that you need are the same as the ones that I filled out...if so then you can download them from the uvi website. UVI 101 application for residency permit http://www.uvi.fi/download.asp?id=Uvi+1 ... 8D04F285F9}
and UVI 102 http://www.uvi.fi/download.asp?id=UVI10 ... DB32187EB5}

note that for uvi 102 you have to have your husband sign it as well.

oh yeah and bring 100 euros for processing fees

hope this helps.
b0 selecta!

royal

Post by royal » Thu Jan 13, 2005 2:21 am

Hi,

I don't know about Malmi P.S. but currently in Espoo if u r clean(I mean no crime committed by u) then they extend/renew ur permit instantly/same day when u submit...For renewal of A.5 or P.R.P. u don't need any other docs except that UVI 101 form...102 form isn't necessary since u've already did that when applying for a A.5...

dusty_bin

Post by dusty_bin » Thu Jan 13, 2005 4:12 am

There are some things more important tham showing up for work.
Take time off, take the time, get it sorted properlyu, after all, if you do not then not only do you lose a job, but your employer has to replace you. A few hours off to stand in a queue is time well spent, I think.

tsuishant

Thanks!

Post by tsuishant » Thu Jan 13, 2005 8:44 pm

Thanks for all your advices!!

I will go there tomorrow early, hopefully it can be done smoothly!