Last Minute Jitters

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
superiorinferior

Post by superiorinferior » Tue Jan 18, 2005 10:53 am

mookoo wrote: Thanks mom. I have visited Finland in the winter before. 8) It got down to about -30 and we stood outside to watch fireworks on newyears. So I am prepared. But actually the low in northern US was down to -55 degrees last night. Thank goodness I live farther south than that.
-55 degrees Celsius would be -67 degrees Fahrenheit....
:shock:

i think you mean it was -55 degrees F which is -48 C, which is pretty friggin cold...

and a google found the statistic! "it was -54(F) at Embarrass, Minn. on Jan 17 :!:
The lowest temperature ever recorded in the (48 contiguous) United States for the month of January occurred on January 20, 1954, in Rogers Pass, Mont. (elevation 5,470 ft), where the temperature fell to –70°F.
That's the weather... back to you Jack, in the nice warm studio....

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Tue Jan 18, 2005 12:40 pm

Interestingly F and C meet up briefly at -40 degrees, I think the consensus of "too **** cold" is achieved at that point.
Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.

PeterF

Post by PeterF » Tue Jan 18, 2005 12:59 pm

Hank W. wrote:Interestingly F and C meet up briefly at -40 degrees, I think the consensus of "too **** cold" is achieved at that point.
Hank will no doubt remember Feb 1995...Helsinki on a Saturday...mid day it was minus 40C..the passengers lit fires in the rubbish bins at bus stops in order for those waiting for a bus to survive.

For those not knowing...stupidly thinking winter is nearly over.. :roll: ..Next month is by tradition/statics the coldest month in Finland.

ilikepeanutbutter

Post by ilikepeanutbutter » Tue Jan 18, 2005 2:01 pm

PeterF wrote:
Hank W. wrote:Interestingly F and C meet up briefly at -40 degrees, I think the consensus of "too **** cold" is achieved at that point.
Hank will no doubt remember Feb 1995...Helsinki on a Saturday...mid day it was minus 40C..the passengers lit fires in the rubbish bins at bus stops in order for those waiting for a bus to survive.

For those not knowing...stupidly thinking winter is nearly over.. :roll: ..Next month is by tradition/statics the coldest month in Finland.
! :D lol I wish I would of lit some tires waiting for the stupid bus from Tiqquirla. Dang thing is slower than sin :) lol

Down in Southern USA it's cold as heck during February. You always have idiots who were sandals thinking it'll be warm :D Good luck there! :D I always keep my longjohns and massive coats laying around Finland until June ;) Old habits die hard :D

Kat

squeak

Post by squeak » Tue Jan 18, 2005 5:33 pm

I was in Helsinki then. Don't remember that. :(

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Wed Jan 19, 2005 12:00 pm

I think it was 1988 or something. I was in high school and it was -35 outside, -20 between the window and blinds and +10-ish in the classrooms. we huddled in the corridors by the radiators to keep warm.
Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.

mookoo

Post by mookoo » Wed Jan 19, 2005 4:59 pm

superiorinferior wrote:I think you mean it was -55 degrees F which is -48 C, which is pretty friggin cold...

and a google found the statistic! "it was -54(F) at Embarrass, Minn. on Jan 17 :!:
The lowest temperature ever recorded in the (48 contiguous) United States for the month of January occurred on January 20, 1954, in Rogers Pass, Mont. (elevation 5,470 ft), where the temperature fell to –70°F.
That's the weather... back to you Jack, in the nice warm studio....
Haha! Did you think I made that up or something? And of course it was in F scale. Us Americans are too stubborn (and perhaps a bit too dumb) to use metric.

I actually did know about that -40 F = -40 C. 8) And I also agree with you. Once you get below a certain temperature (about -30 C for me) it doesn't really matter what the exact temperature is outside. It all gets lumped under the term "butt-f***in COLDER than a witch's tit in a steel bra" in my world.
Caroline wrote:Yep, that's the one. It's a great resource. At some point in the future when the time comes to start complaining about your hubbie, feel free to contact me, as I think that people who are in the same intercultural relationships have a lot in common. We celebrate our 4th anniversary in less than a month and I'm ready to trade him in for a golden retriever, and we haven't even had any children yet :twisted: :lol:
No doubt we will be in lovey-dovey "whatever you want" mode for a while. But after that wears off, I might be calling ya :wink:

khu

Post by khu » Thu Jan 20, 2005 12:58 am

Hope you're doing ok there, mookoo. Last time I was here I got kind of depressed, but recently we have met up with some folks from the university, exchange students, so that keeps things interesting. Maybe if you get bored you can look for the nearest University and make some friends!

scoobymcdoo

Post by scoobymcdoo » Thu Jan 20, 2005 12:22 pm

Hi Mookoo

I'm not sure where you are moving to, but if it is to the Espoo/Helsinki area drop me an e-mail.
I#ve been here 6 and a half weeks now and life is good, I was very scared about moving but excited at the same time (!). I cried most nights for 3 months before we moved, but now we are here it's much better than I thought it would be.

Hannah

PeterF

Post by PeterF » Thu Jan 20, 2005 12:55 pm

Hank W. wrote:I think it was 1988 or something. I was in high school and it was -35 outside, -20 between the window and blinds and +10-ish in the classrooms. we huddled in the corridors by the radiators to keep warm.
Was it as long ago as that. :oops: ..I did guess wrong...I thought it was about 10 years ago..time flies..

But... I just found out that the lowest ever temp in the world was measured in Helsinki...or to be precise..at HUT Espoo

0.000 000 000 1 degrees above the absolute zero.
The absolute zero is the limit of all temperatures, —273.15... C,... Coolish.. :wink: Brass Monkies hold on tight :roll:

BUT.....
Dont panic Hank....It was in 1993....

All is now OK...
Also it was in a lab experiment and it needed 9 years of preperation by some clever Finnish physics guys...hope they closed the door to keep in in their lab.
http://boojum.hut.fi/Low-Temp-Record.html

mookoo

Post by mookoo » Tue Jan 25, 2005 10:47 am

Well, I have arrived in one piece and so has my dog Reeses. I had a little paperwork mishap trying to get the dog into Finland but luckily the border veterinarian in Copehagen was very kind and for a "small" fee she got my paperwork fixed 30 minutes before my plane left.

And to all in Helsinki/Vantaa, thanks for leaving me so much snow/slush to wade through in my running shoes! :evil: My feet were popsickles after walking through the parking lot at the airport! But its all good because I got me some fancy-schmancy snow boots yesterday (made in Finland!)

ilikepeanutbutter

Post by ilikepeanutbutter » Tue Jan 25, 2005 9:39 pm

mookoo wrote:Well, I have arrived in one piece and so has my dog Reeses. I had a little paperwork mishap trying to get the dog into Finland but luckily the border veterinarian in Copehagen was very kind and for a "small" fee she got my paperwork fixed 30 minutes before my plane left.

And to all in Helsinki/Vantaa, thanks for leaving me so much snow/slush to wade through in my running shoes! :evil: My feet were popsickles after walking through the parking lot at the airport! But its all good because I got me some fancy-schmancy snow boots yesterday (made in Finland!)
Welcome! I'm glad you made it here alright ! :)

Muhahahhhhaa :twisted: The wonderous Vantaa sludge. Everywhere and anywhere and gets all over. I wore my tennis shoes and almost kept slipping a couple of days ago. I wore hiking boots and still managed to fall pretty elegantly at the mall 8) lol whoo! My sister sent me wellies and those things have been a lifesaver this past week:)

Glad you're here! :)

Kat