Moving pets from the EU to Finland

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
Laurade

Post by Laurade » Tue Feb 08, 2005 8:09 pm

I'm sorry if this is a repeat! There are just so many posts here :O)
Has anyone here moved from another EU country to Finland with a pet? I've been checking it out on line, and have yet to find a good translation (German or English) that I can understand. Any help with the steps I'll need to take, or any other useful information would be most appreciated! Thank you

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

tjawatts

Post by tjawatts » Tue Feb 08, 2005 8:48 pm

Depends where you are coming from but a few basics.

Have your pet uptodate on it vaccines
Might need blood test several months before
Get a pet passport, I think that is a EU standard.

T

Rosamunda

Post by Rosamunda » Tue Feb 08, 2005 9:16 pm

We brought two guinea-pigs from Hungary in our car. Actually Hungary was not in the EU at the time. We did a vet visit 2 days before we left and he gave us an official looking piece of paper. But we drove straight through customs (I think we had Swiss plates on the car at the timeand it was mid-August) and nobody asked us if we had any animals to declare. Then about 2 years later they were eaten by a fox. :cry:

mookoo

Post by mookoo » Wed Feb 09, 2005 9:29 am

What kind of animal are your bringing and how big is it? Also, which country are you coming from? If I know that, I can give you more information. But in the meantime, here is a website outlining what you need in general to import pets into Finland:

http://www.mmm.fi/el/raj/tuo_elaimet_en.html

Titta

Post by Titta » Fri Feb 18, 2005 8:54 pm

Hello, I don't know if this is any help but I brought my dog over in October 04. I had been given different advice from different vets, custom, the dept which deals with this info, advice of the huge cost, time etc. But in the end I paid next to nothing, went to my vet in London who gave my rotti the jabs (rabis, booster and microchip). The fact that I wasn't bringing her back there was no need for the blood tests which would have taken longer about a month. She was given her passport and here she is.
Titta