Moving to finland , studying & goverment help.

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
vampe

Post by vampe » Wed Feb 09, 2005 12:31 am

I'm looking to move into Helsinki & to study finnish basically until I've learnt enough to be able to find a job.
I'm really lost as to where Im going to need to start , If I'll be eligle for government assistance / rent assistance.
I have someone I can live with & we're going to look for an apartment but I'm not sure as to where to start.
I've been through some of the moving to finland guides & information on the police websites , but I'm still pretty lost.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

mookoo

Post by mookoo » Wed Feb 09, 2005 9:45 am

Well, I guess a good start would be to ask if you have money saved up now that you will use to live in Finland. In most instances you are required to have a guaranteed means of support unless you are a refugee (meaning you have to prove you have enough money to support yourself before they will let you move here). Also, what you need to do depends on where you are from. I see you are living in the UK, if you are a citizen there you will have an easier time than someone from a non-EU country. Also, if you are planning on studying you might contact the university you are wishing to attend and ask them some questions about admission requirements and student aid. The rules are pretty complex, so the more information you give us, the better we will be able to help you.

PeterF

Post by PeterF » Wed Feb 09, 2005 10:01 am

I see from two very old posts...last year that you are might be an Australian...i.e Not an EU resident....
bb/search.php?search_author=vampe
So lets list the questions.
1: Are you and EU resident or are you marreid to one?
2: What are your reason for coming to Finland and for how long do you intend to stay here?
3: What are your qualifications and what work do you think you can do?
4: Do you have plenty of money?

vampe

Post by vampe » Wed Feb 09, 2005 12:34 pm

mookoo wrote:Well, I guess a good start would be to ask if you have money saved up now that you will use to live in Finland. In most instances you are required to have a guaranteed means of support unless you are a refugee (meaning you have to prove you have enough money to support yourself before they will let you move here). Also, what you need to do depends on where you are from. I see you are living in the UK, if you are a citizen there you will have an easier time than someone from a non-EU country. Also, if you are planning on studying you might contact the university you are wishing to attend and ask them some questions about admission requirements and student aid. The rules are pretty complex, so the more information you give us, the better we will be able to help you.
I'm australian , but I'm living in the UK right now. I have a few thousand pounds saved up , but I wouldn't be moving until may , so it'd be more by then/

vampe

Post by vampe » Wed Feb 09, 2005 12:37 pm

PeterF wrote:I see from two very old posts...last year that you are might be an Australian...i.e Not an EU resident....
bb/search.php?search_author=vampe
So lets list the questions.
1: Are you and EU resident or are you marreid to one?
2: What are your reason for coming to Finland and for how long do you intend to stay here?
3: What are your qualifications and what work do you think you can do?
4: Do you have plenty of money?
Thats right , I'm australian.
I want to study , to at least learn the language and then be able to work there.
I dont have a university degree , but I've got plenty of experience.
and money wise I'll be fine.

PeterF

Post by PeterF » Wed Feb 09, 2005 12:54 pm

To come here as a non EU citizen you need a visa.
The basic tourist visa is valid for only 3 months.
If you come here on a student's visa to study you need to be accepted first on a recognised course of study.
To come here to work you need a work permit that will require that you have a job offer here.
If you do a search for these items there are several threads dealing with the subject by experts on the subjects ..which I am not.