How can I get my wife faster to FINLAND on Dependent Visa

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
ravikatha

Post by ravikatha » Mon Feb 28, 2005 2:11 pm

Hi,

I am an Indian and came to FINLAND on a 1 yr Work permit, which is valid till Jan 2006. My Work Permit is likely to be extended till end of 2006. I stay in Espoo.
I am getting married in June 2005 in INDIA (I am visiting INDIA in June on vacation) and want to get my wife here to FINLAND on Dependent Visa as soon as possible after marriage.

The procedure I know, she needs to apply for the Visa in FINNISH embassy along with marriage registration proof. The application is forwarded to FINLAND Police/immigration. The immigration then sends their opinion after veryfying my details here. Visa is then granted to her. Heard from colleagues, that the process may take around 2 months or even more than that.

1. Is there a way to speed up the process?

2. Can I myself initiate the police verification some time in May and get some certificates from the FINLAND immigration (certifying that I am staying in Espoo, I am working and can provide necessary support for a dependent wife etc.,)? (So that, After getting married in June, I would take my spouse to FINNISH embassy in INDIA, submit the Visa application and the documents I took from FINLAND immigration so that the Visa may be granted in few days)

3. I would also like to know whether she needs to apply for a residence permit along with the dependet visa.

I donot mind spending some money if required.

Thanks
- Ravi

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Mon Feb 28, 2005 2:22 pm

Yeah, you can speed up the process with having the approriate paperwork ready, but the "visa granted in few days" is I am afraid "total utopia". Even 2 months is a F1 racing speed.

If you go to http://www.uvi.fi website you see the form 102, you can also trek to the police station to have the paperwork and forms ready. You will notice you need a thorough explanation of your wages, your job (a letter from the company stating you are employed 'for the duration' and 'employment continues' ) , your tax sheets etc. Then they are interested in your ability to support your partner. These papers also have a certain time limit as to how recent they must be to accompany the application.

If you read on page:
http://www.uvi.fi/netcomm/content.asp?p ... ,2491,2496

It says the sponsor (you) can also submit the application to the police in Finland.
Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.

PeterF

Post by PeterF » Mon Feb 28, 2005 2:45 pm

The only positive note that I can add to the info given by Hank is that noticing that you live in Espoo and not Helsinki.

The Espoo (Kilo) police immigration department have on the few occasions that I had to visit them..(sorting Visa's for NON EU customers who had to extend their stay) were always quick/helpfull friendly.

I can also say that the same department at Vantaa/Tikkurila were equally good.

IF YOU HAD THE RIGHT PAPER WORK FILLED IN.

I have heard ..but have no first hand experience..that the same does not apply to Helsinki/Malmi and that queues are long and tempers short.

So a pre marriage visit to Kilo to double check what can be done before could help.

ravikatha

Post by ravikatha » Mon Feb 28, 2005 5:27 pm

Thanks for the information. I will definitely visit the Police and post my comments here.

Thanks
Ravi

ravikatha

Post by ravikatha » Mon Feb 28, 2005 6:19 pm

One more query - If I get my wife on tourist Visa, can it be converted to Dependent Visa while she is in FINLAND?

The form UV102 (Family tie) declaration requires the marriage certificate and I cannot get it any time before June.

Thanks
Ravi

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Mon Feb 28, 2005 6:32 pm

If you read the small print on the UVI page it says that for her to be able to come and stay in Finland, you two should have had to been married for 2 years. Do check at the police station the latest procedure.

And yes - report back, theres always people asking, and it is good to know (even the horror stories) how long the procedure takes.
Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.

ryanad2

Post by ryanad2 » Tue Mar 01, 2005 12:06 pm

My wife applied last year in October for residence permit, while she was in Finland. She enterend in Finland as turist, with the right to stay here at most 90 days. We married in August last year.

She got the residence permit here, after 6 weeks. The initial estimate from the Espoo police was 4 months, but we requested the expedition of procedure based on pregnancy. Fortunately UVI people were kind enough to consider this reason as urgency so they granted the permit before delivery. I don't know what is Dependend Visa, my wife got residence permit of type A, and that include automatically the right to work without restrictions.

UVI requested also proof (passport copies) that I was visiting home country, i.e. I was living with my wife before she came in Finland. The new aliens act didn't specify how long you had to live with your wife abroad before she can apply for permit in Finland. I could prove only a few times of traveling abroad, but that was ok. Seems that now UVI specify clearly that 2 years are needed. For proving that, it should be enough if you could bring some paper from India showing that both of you lived on the same address during the last 2 years (maybe not difficult to get even if that's not the case:))

net_bh

Post by net_bh » Tue Mar 01, 2005 4:10 pm

I was married in 2nd week of January, applied for the visa in New Delhi on 25th Jan, visa was approved by 9th Feb, passport was returned around 20th Feb and my wife should now be arriving in the 2nd week of March.

The key is taking all the right documents!
Image Image
There is no patch for stupidity.