Shipping experiences...

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
holly

Shipping experiences...

Post by holly » Tue Mar 08, 2005 7:05 am

...ok, so this isn't a new topic, but reading through all the other posts hasn't really given me a warm glowy feeling about shipping all my stuff to Vaasa!! Actually, it is a relatively small amount, but I would really appreciate hearing other peoples experiences/methods. Furniture wise, I will have one large chest of drawers and an antique chest from granny, then maybe 10 or so packing boxes.....
Thanks in advance
Holly
PS looking forward to meeting y'all in April!

Shipping experiences...

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Iain

Post by Iain » Tue Mar 08, 2005 8:20 am

Hi,
If you can be flexible with the moving date contact the big Finnish Removal companies. We got one with a truck coming back empty from London. Get ready to haggle
Good luck

holly

Post by holly » Tue Mar 08, 2005 2:08 pm

Iain - great tip - thanks! Which company did you use? And perhaps more importantly, how much did they charge??? Just got some outrageous quotes from UK companies...!
Cheers
Holly

PeterF

Post by PeterF » Tue Mar 08, 2005 2:43 pm

One of the biggest Finnish companies doing the UK run is.

http://www.beweship.com/

Another is.
http://www.kiitolinja.fi/

The are probably others.

Edit..I just checked Kiitolinja UK agent is:

Schenker Limited.,
St Andrews House,
St Andrews Road,
Avonmouth,
Bristol,
Avon.
BS11 9DQ
United Kingdom.

Branch Manager : Paul Holmes. Phone: +44 (0) 1179382966

Iain

Post by Iain » Tue Mar 08, 2005 2:54 pm

Do a Google on Finnish removal companies and get quotes from them all. Its down to luck. who's screwed up their logistics. I was originally getting quotes about the same as in the UK (5 grand Edinburgh-Oulu)

PeterF

Post by PeterF » Tue Mar 08, 2005 3:29 pm

Holly's main problem could be the "Plymouth" location...
That is why that Schenker Bristol address might be useful..
2.5 hours from Plymouth for a truck.
It would not surprise me either if they had Ship/Sea half empty containers going from Avonmouth to somewhere in this direction.
Boat Avonmouth-Gothenburg, overland to Stockholm, then Viking line here, is a not un-common route...Also there is a ferry Link from Sweden to Vaasa.

holly

Post by holly » Tue Mar 08, 2005 4:31 pm

Peter, you are absolutely right! Plymouth is a pain in the a*se! HOWEVER, I have just had another idea from Peter's prompt - I work in the maritime industry, and I know there are several vessels sailing out of Plymouth to Oulu for the china clay/paper run, so perhaps I could contact the owners direct...hmmm - interesting idea.
Peter, Iain, you have been little stars - thank you! Anyone else with ideas/experiences they would be willing to share?...
Just as an afterthought, I know I do not post much here, but I read often, and have picked up some really useful hints and tips - everyone on this BB seems to be genuinely friendly/helpful - with the exception of the odd tosser who wants song lyrics translated!!!!!!!!!

neil

Post by neil » Tue Mar 08, 2005 9:05 pm

Hi Holly,

It is on the wrong side of the country, but there is another place that will do you a whole container for about a grand. Let me see if I can find the post....

here you are:

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2003 2:30 pm Post subject:
I got a 40ft container at 1250GBP door to door - London to Kalajoki. Had to pack and load myself but that was no problem when I compared the quote to others that I received.

This was thru Glover of Shoreham, contact Jim Glover tel:01903 774888.

He's a one man freight agent working with a steel company in Raahe. Couldn't fault the service at all...
http://finlandforum.org/bb/viewtopic.php?t=67&start=0

I once used Omega Securicor to ship stuff here but it looks like they've been bought by DHL. The story goes: I called their nationwide no. and they said they would not deal with private individuals so I called the local depot and explained my story and they said they'd do it. They shipped 120kg of stufff and charged me a pound a kilo.

Hope this helps
Neil

Please add a link to https://www.finlandforum.org

holly

Post by holly » Wed Mar 09, 2005 2:45 am

Thanks Neil - that's great! Now I have several leads to chase, and with any luck, not an empty bank account at the end of it! Just found out that several vessels do relatively regular runs from here in Plymouth to Oulu and Rauma, so I might try to pull in a few favours from my shipping agent buddies! Actually, I am soooo ready to come over, that I really wouldn't care if I couldn't bring any of my stuff (apart from the pooch!). Sadly I still have to work out my notice with a sulking boss - nice! :lol:
Cheers
Holly

tampereblue

Puljula

Post by tampereblue » Thu Mar 24, 2005 11:14 pm

We used Puljula to ship from Brighton to Tampere and they were absolutely fantastic. We shipped 7.5 cubic metres of stuff for about £800, door to door and it only took them 5 days to get it here.

Nothing broken or even scratched and they do all the heavy work too!

matte9d

Post by matte9d » Thu Mar 31, 2005 11:17 am

It takes Puljula ages to respond to e.mails...

I used Travel Cargo (http://www.travelcargo.fi) to send stuff to UK. About same prices as the ones you mentioned for puljula...

tampereblue

shipping

Post by tampereblue » Thu Mar 31, 2005 11:49 am

We just called them, whether they responded to my emails was way less of a concern than whether my stuff got there safe and for a reasonable price.

They definitely respond better to phone calls, though I have to say we got an email quote back from them within 3 days of asking for it. :D