End date on a 'right to reside' paper

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
tampereblue

Post by tampereblue » Thu Mar 24, 2005 11:11 pm

I got my paper through from the police station last month, I though 'no problem, great, now I have the papers I need'...but when I went to Kela the lady I spoke to about registering with them said she had never seen an EU citizen (married to a Finn) who had an end date on their 'right to reside'.

Will they kick me out in 2010, which is the date on my paper? I hope not..

Anyone else seen the same thing?

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

mookoo

Post by mookoo » Fri Mar 25, 2005 10:29 am

So you are saying you got your Finnish citizenship? But they put an end date on it? That sounds odd for sure. My first residence permit is still processing, so I have no experience with that yet ... but I hope they don't kick you out! :ohno: And I hope they don't kick me out either!

Richard

Post by Richard » Fri Mar 25, 2005 11:09 am

I'm an EU Citizen (UK) and married to a Finn, I applied 3 years ago and got a 5 year residency permit in the form of a card. This is usual as far as I know, that first You get a fixed Term permit, then after 2 years, you can apply for permanent residency if you desire.

Niraniel

Post by Niraniel » Tue Mar 29, 2005 9:15 pm

I don't know the practice, but I studied last year some EU law at the University and, more or less, is this way:

You apply for the residence permit (you need your ID or passport and need to proove you have a work or are going to search one or that you have enough money to mantain yourself) which has a validity for 5 years, and, as a general rule, it's going to be renewed automatically for the same period, so nobody is going to be kick out.

What's more, even if you stop working, the authorities cannot remove the residence permit from you, but maybe it's a problem if you have been unemployed for 12 months or more the moment you have to renewed your first residence permit. In that case, the new one maybe it's only valid for one year. But, even in this case, you are not going to be kick out.

Only in the case you don't have a job once the new one-year-residence permit expires, could the country force you to leave if you don't have the money to mantain yourself (in other words: without being a burden to the country).

In conclusion:

-It's normal to have an end date for your residence permit.
-Nobody is going to be kick out, at least, it's very difficult, so don't worry.

Hope it's been of help to someone. :wink:
Image Image

PeterF

Post by PeterF » Wed Mar 30, 2005 9:02 am

This is quite normal..
Even as an EU citizen..you will initialy be given a residents permit that is valid for 5 years.

This is does not make you a Finnish Citizen.
It is just a permit to reside here.

After two years you may apply to make it permanent..no end date..
But in any way you should do so before it expires in 2010.
They issued me with a plastic ID card instead of a resident permit..which in those days was a scruffy bit of paper.
The word "pysyväasukas" appeared on my ID card..they also put a huge stamp filling a complete page iin my passport..which said something like..
"The holder of this passport is a permanent resident of Finland"

You then have to return to Kela so that they amend the entry in their computor system..
I forgot that bit and Kela got a bit shirty with me...but I think it just meant she had to punch in two lines of data instead of just one..much muttering and frowing, but no big deal.

Becoming unemployed while resident in Finland, if you are an EU citizen, and registered at Kela.
Entitles one to exactly the same benefits as if you are a Finnish citizen.
There is no "burdon on the state" available option for Finland, to kick anyone out.
The only reason I can think that Finland would kick out an EU citizen would be possibly repeated criminal activity.

There is no good reason that I can think of why an EU citizen should want to change their natioanality to Finnish...Unless you want be called up to do military service and run around in the forest for 11 months. :roll:

Rosamunda

Post by Rosamunda » Wed Mar 30, 2005 10:48 am

PeterF wrote:There is no good reason that I can think of why an EU citizen should want to change their natioanality to Finnish...Unless you want be called up to do military service and run around in the forest for 11 months. :roll:
vote....

apply for a civil service job...

ChimpGod

Question...

Post by ChimpGod » Thu Mar 31, 2005 1:15 am

So that applies to an EU citizen.. Is it the same with Americans? I remember hearing about the part where you have to prove that you can sustain yourself for a period of time (something like $6000). Can you get a residence permit just by proving that you have enough to sustain yourself? Or do you also have to have a job lined up? Or prove that you are going to look for a job? Or be accepted to a school? It seems a lot harder for an American to be able to live in Finland.. correct me if I'm wrong! I'm still learning.

mookoo

Post by mookoo » Thu Mar 31, 2005 8:15 am

It is harder for non-EU citizens to get to Finland. You can apply for residence based on
1. Family ties (Finnish husband/wife/children/relatives etc.)
2. Employment (usually a job already lined up)
3. Studies (this would probably require proof of acceptance to University AND proof of being able to support yourself)
4. Self employment (prove you won't be sucking the government t!t)
5. Finnish origin
and then there is a space for "Other". But they can be very picky and stubborn if you apply under the "other" category. Your chances will always be increased by a working knowledge of Finnish and/or a fat pocketbook.

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Re: Question...

Post by Hank W. » Thu Mar 31, 2005 9:50 am

ChimpGod wrote: I remember hearing about the part where you have to prove that you can sustain yourself for a period of time (something like $6000).
is this part
mookoo wrote: 3. Studies (this would probably require proof of acceptance to University AND proof of being able to support yourself)
Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.

bretti_kivi

Post by bretti_kivi » Thu Mar 31, 2005 11:06 am

so how come i have no permit, no paperwork, nothing, just a KELA card?

Bret
"I have no further comments at this time"

PeterF

Post by PeterF » Thu Mar 31, 2005 11:23 am

bretti_kivi wrote:so how come i have no permit, no paperwork, nothing, just a KELA card?

Bret
Are you an Illegal Imigrant? :wink:
Did you come in on Bus with load of women from Georgia? :wink:

Kela card is not an accepted ID.
What do you use?
Have you ever been and registered your existance at the Police Immigration Department?
I am not sure if it is essential nowdays.. :? :? ..but when I came both a "residents permit" was needed to get a "Kela Card" even for EU citizens, both were essential.