Expat support groups in Helsinki?

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
kristeng

Post by kristeng » Sat Mar 26, 2005 6:27 am

Hello -

Despite some very negative predictions I received on this forum about a year and a half ago (there seem to be some very unhappy people here!), I recently received word that I will be moving to Finland in a few months, and will finishing my law degree at the University of Helsinki. Please reserve your negative comments about Finland - I am fully aware of all the negatives, as well as all the positives. I know what I am getting into.

There I one thing I am curious about, however. Are there any expat groups (especially for those who speak English) that meet in Helsinki? I know an expat life can be hard, and I'm trying to make the transition as easy as possible.

I have a large network of Finnish people I can turn to for support when it comes to language and culture issues. But there are times when I just need to get away from the "Finnishness" of everything and want non-Finnish contact. I have found a group for international lawyers, and another for American women. The legal group looks good. The American women's group comes across as one for rich women who don't have much to do, and doesn't really interest me. Are there any other expat groups in Helsinki that anyone is aware of or a member of? I know I will meet people at the University, but I would like to make contacts that will last beyond graduation and while I am working.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

karen

Re: Expat support groups in Helsinki?

Post by karen » Sat Mar 26, 2005 6:57 am

kristeng wrote: The American women's group comes across as one for rich women who don't have much to do, and doesn't really interest me.
I wish I was rich and didn't have anything to do.

Good luck in Finland. Be careful who you offend, you might need them some day.

Karen

kristeng

Post by kristeng » Sat Mar 26, 2005 7:16 am

Oddly cryptic response... Perhaps I offended you? Well, I apologize, though for what, I have no idea. Perhaps my Finnish man has done too good a job of training me to deal with Finnish bluntness and I forgot my "American manners."

But society groups are not for me - I am not a society girl, as I don't come from money and have put myself into serious debt getting through 9 years of higher education. I wouldn't fit in with a group of rich women that serve teas to raise money for poor children in Africa. A good cause, for sure, but with my ratty clothes, I'd be laughed out of the room! I guess the info for the group I was looking at (don't even remember now what they called themselves but it was clear that membership was very exclusive) was designed to keep people like me away from them in the first place. Metal bars are more my style anyway.

Mook

Post by Mook » Sat Mar 26, 2005 7:49 am

Ah, it seems that USA-ians have class after all. And that not all American Womens club members are rich society girls (Maybe there's some need for a
Geography Event..)

The AWC does appear to have many rules, but that's the US thang for ya.

I'm aware of a few social groups, but these are not exclusively expat so wouldn't be much use in helping "people like you" get a break from the Finns.
---
Image http://blog.enogastronomist.com | http://blog.enogastronomisti.com

kristeng

Post by kristeng » Sat Mar 26, 2005 8:08 am

Mook wrote: (Maybe there's some need for a
Geography Event..)
What is this "map" thing you show me? You can't mean there are countries besides the USA?! That's just not possible! :roll:

I like going out to the bars, and I don't mind the Finnish - it's good to hear it all the time because it helps me learn. But JUST ONCE I would like to go to a bar and NOT have to spend an hour discussing George Bush in broken/drunken Finnish and English. I hate the man - he's half the reason I decided to leave the US - and talking about him ruins a good night of boozing. I pity the rest of the world, as we have forced ourselves upon everyone.

karen

Post by karen » Sat Mar 26, 2005 8:47 am

The AWC is not a group of rich women who sit around and serve tea and raise money for charity. We have a general meeting once a month and numerous interest groups that meet at other times. Our interest groups include:
- book club
- brainstorming
- couple's bridge
- duplicate bridge
- french conversation
- garden group
- golf
- gourmet group
- icon painting
- mother's network
- movie night
- remembering together
- tennis
- yoga

And next year we will have a new interest group which is devoted to scrapbooking. There is even an interest group devoted to helping new arrivals in Finland.

As for the exclusiveness of the club:
As an American, you can automatically be accepted for full membership.
If you are the daughter of an American or are married to an American you will also be considered immediately for full membership.
Now that you know a little more, it could be that this group still doesn't appeal to you. That's fine. But we aren't all rich women who have nothing else to do.

Karen

kristeng

Post by kristeng » Sat Mar 26, 2005 9:03 am

Thank you for that information. I honestly don't remember what the name of the group I was looking at was called, but it wasn't your group, and it really did seem to be a group for women with nothing to do and plenty of money to support pet causes. They also had a very hefty membership fee. Your group sounds more interesting. I have a passion for scrapbooking (I will be sad to resign my position as a Creative Memories consultant when I move) but I also admit that I have no idea what bridge is.

So I am sorry that I upset you, but I was not referring to the group you are referencing. I have enough going on in my life that I would get no pleasure out of joining an online forum just to insult people!

Mook

Post by Mook » Sat Mar 26, 2005 9:13 am

kristeng wrote:
Mook wrote: (Maybe there's some need for a
Geography Event..)
What is this "map" thing you show me? You can't mean there are countries besides the USA?! That's just not possible! :roll:

I like going out to the bars, and I don't mind the Finnish - it's good to hear it all the time because it helps me learn. But JUST ONCE I would like to go to a bar and NOT have to spend an hour discussing George Bush in broken/drunken Finnish and English. I hate the man - he's half the reason I decided to leave the US - and talking about him ruins a good night of boozing. I pity the rest of the world, as we have forced ourselves upon everyone.
OK, there's:

Not-so serious Volleyball Every Thursday night in Pasila. In Summertime we play on the beach.

This lot try and have a beer on Wednesday nights, maybe once a month.

The .are having a party next Saturday

If you're interested in Running/Walking and a having a few beers (at the same time)
---
Image http://blog.enogastronomist.com | http://blog.enogastronomisti.com

karen

Post by karen » Sat Mar 26, 2005 9:33 am

It's a good club and I've made some good friends there. This scrapbooking group could probably use your help. It's really new in Finland and I'm sure they are looking for ideas.

I love paper crafts and will probably join that group. Supplies can be really expensive here, so you should stock up before you come.

And something that won't be an established interest group, but rather a group of interested people, is quilting. One of the moms in the MN has volunteered to teach hand quilting. It won't be a large group and it won't be a typical mother's network event because it's not a playgroup. I'm really looking forward to this one.

Also, speaking any language other than English is "forbidden" at the AWC meetings. That could be a break from Finnishness :)

I've spent too much time here this morning. Our MN Easter party is this morning and I have a lot to do to get ready. I spent too much time cutting out bunnies for the craft project. I can really get into those things.

Karen

P.S. I've found that if you concentrate on helping others, you don't have time to think about what you miss from home or don't like about Finland. I've devoted a lot of my 8 years in Finland to helping other foreigners settle in.

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Sat Mar 26, 2005 11:33 am

There is, if you've ever been slightly interested in drama, the Finn-Brit Players http://www.finnbritplayers.com -and they are a nice bunch, you don't have to be anything to join up.

. has a hefty membership fee for a tenner, but it ain't geared to make a profit and anyone is allowed to join :wink:
Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.

jenlynnf

Post by jenlynnf » Thu Apr 28, 2005 5:00 am

Karen, I am moving to Finland in June to be with my Finnish fiance and we will be living in Espoo. I was curious as to when your group meets. You had mentioned that you have spent much time helping foreigners get accustomed to Finland and I am looking for all the help I can get.

Jennifer

acwan

Re: Expat support groups in Helsinki?

Post by acwan » Thu Apr 28, 2005 9:32 am

kristeng wrote:Are there any other expat groups in Helsinki that anyone is aware of or a member of?
Beyond what you have seen of this website, and the groups that were mentioned, no, not really. The foreign community is pretty small here. Maybe you can form your own group when you get here. Then if things don't go according to plan and you need a place to vent, there is always finlandforum.org. Good luck.

PeterF

Post by PeterF » Thu Apr 28, 2005 10:10 am

Been sitting on the sidelines...but now throw in my 10 cents worth..
Jennifer....do you intend to make Finland your permanent home?
Will USA just be a place where you used to live and will visit for holidays?
If the answer is probably or yes..
Read on..

IF you are not sure or the answer is No way..Ignore this post.

Reading on?
Then EX Pat groups are not where you should be spending most of your time. You should be mixing with your husband to be's family and friends becoming part of Finnish life.
If and when you have kids..they are going to be Finns, and they will probably call you Äiti not mummy.

That does not mean you should ignore/not meet ExPats...their parties/events can be great fun and of course they/we will help you over the first few months of..
Where is ..How do I...What is that? Many Questions/Answers.

This bb and also http://www...com will be frequent ports of call where you will be welcome.
Ask and ask..we will try to help make your life in Finland wonderfull.
I have lived here 10+ years but I still often need to check this reference library.
http://www...com/sauna/viewforum.php?f=20

karen

Post by karen » Thu Apr 28, 2005 11:41 am

PeterF wrote: If and when you have kids..they are going to be Finns, and they will probably call you Äiti not mummy.
I have to disagree on this one. Maybe because I'm the mom and my native language is English making that his "mother tongue," but my son calls me "mommy." I'm not trying to raise him as an American living in Finland. I do spend as much time with my in-laws as a I can, but they live 6 hours away. I don't try to stifle his Finnishness at all, but I want him to enjoy some of my heritage as well. I'm just being who I am and if it rubs off on him, so be it.

All of the kids in his daycare also call me mommy. If anyone refers to me as äiti, he doesn't know who they are talking about. I'm Mommy.

PeterF

Post by PeterF » Thu Apr 28, 2005 11:57 am

Tadpole'sMommy wrote:
PeterF wrote: If and when you have kids..they are going to be Finns, and they will probably call you Äiti not mummy.
I have to disagree on this one. . If anyone refers to me as äiti, he doesn't know who they are talking about. I'm Mommy.
How can you disagree about what someone else's child will call them?
You are you and what your child calls you is your/their decision.

I can introduce you to other foreign mothers in Finland who's children call them..
1: Äiti.
2. Mutsi
3. Mum.
etc..etc..Depends on the individual family and how "Finnish" they are or how foreign they want to remain.
Also I did not say "will call you äiti..I said Probably.

Tadmole's mum..you sound like a loving mummy/wife....but read this thread.
bb/viewtopic.php?p=89553#89553