About Music cds copies

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
Niraniel

About Music cds copies

Post by Niraniel » Tue Mar 29, 2005 12:47 pm

I'm moving from Spain to Helsinki this september for a year and I would like to bring my music cds with me. The problem is that I share my cds with my sister, and obviously, she don't want me to remove all my cds from our house for one whole year, so I have been thinking on copying them and bring the copies with me, so she remains with the originals and if, by the way, my luggage is lost I don't loose my originals cds.

My question is if for that, am I going to have problems with the customs or authorities in Finland. :roll:

Here in Spain, i believe, exists the right to make your own copies of your original cds. By the way, I'm not talking of one or two cds, but more or less 30 or 40.

Thanks for the help.

Image Image

About Music cds copies

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

mookoo

Post by mookoo » Tue Mar 29, 2005 1:38 pm

I don't think they will care. Since you are moving, your personal belongings can be moved into Finland duty-free. So, just walk through the "Nothing to Declare" customs line, and no one will even look at you twice. I moved here with a bunch of CDs in my checked-baggage and nothing bad happened.

Niraniel

Post by Niraniel » Tue Mar 29, 2005 8:27 pm

Thanks for the help Mookoo. I supposed it was more or less that way, and that I won't have any problems, but better ask first, because I don't want to be detained or something.

I'm goin to start copying my CDs rigth now!!

:D
Image Image

Penny

Post by Penny » Wed Mar 30, 2005 10:03 am

We zipped all of ours and burnt them onto just a few dvd's, and posted them just in case. :D

PeterF

Post by PeterF » Wed Mar 30, 2005 11:19 am

The law is as stated here..
http://www.helsinginsanomat.fi/english/ ... 1978960379
It is long article so I copy the relevant part.

According to Finnish law it is not illegal to copy films, music, or computer software for one's own use

So if you come here with a few cdroms...they will probalby be judged as being for you own use...But if you come here with several hundred and many are duplicated/triplicated etc. then the customs official might well assume that you are going to sell some.

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Wed Mar 30, 2005 11:56 am

But importing and exporting them cross borders is a different thing. The Estonian Customs got pissy a few years back and confiscated a number of "car cd's" from people.
Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.

PeterF

Post by PeterF » Wed Mar 30, 2005 12:23 pm

Hank W. wrote:Customs got pissy a few years back and confiscated a number of "car cd's" from people.
If a Customs officer gets "pissy"...they can and will always find a way to "confiscate" what-ever..but ...traveling from a EU country to another EU country...nowdays...Customs guys "usually" are busy looking for the like of Phil with a few kilos of white powder and cant be bothered with a few pirated CDs...unless they are bored and happen to stop you for a random check.... :roll: then it is just Bad Luck..and bye bye CDroms and whatever.. :roll:

Phil

Post by Phil » Wed Mar 30, 2005 2:06 pm

PeterF wrote:Customs guys "usually" are busy looking for the like of Phil with a few kilos of white powder and cant be bothered with a few pirated CDs..
I was baking for my mama!! I swear!! :)

alloydog

Post by alloydog » Wed Mar 30, 2005 5:29 pm

Hank W. wrote:<snip>The Estonian Customs got pissy a few years back and confiscated a number of "car cd's" from people.
Pete's quote was a bit short...
Estonia has (is?) a major source, or at least route for pirated material. If the Estonian Customs are making an effort to crack down then so be it. If you have copies of commercial CDs in your car, and cannot prove you own a legitimate copy of the original work, then how are they to know otherwise? Not every nation has an "innocent until proven guilty" policy.

mookoo

Post by mookoo » Thu Mar 31, 2005 8:33 am

Penny wrote:We zipped all of ours and burnt them onto just a few dvd's, and posted them just in case. :D
Thats a good idea. I suppose if you don't want to be caught with a bunch of CD's (or you just don't want to carry so many) you could condense them onto just a few DVD disks as files and then burn them to individual audio CDs when you arrive. And if you are still paranoid that they will be taken ... label them "family vacation 2001", "trip to Greenland 2003". :D

Niraniel

Post by Niraniel » Thu Mar 31, 2005 12:42 pm

Penny wrote:We zipped all of ours and burnt them onto just a few dvd's
Mookoo wrote:if you are still paranoid that they will be taken ... label them "family vacation 2001", "trip to Greenland 2003".
That's a great idea I didn't think of!!! Thank you all for the ideas. I will burn them on a few dvd's and label them something more spanish, like: "trip to Tenerife 2004" or "camping in Noja" :lol:
And, by the way, I'm not paranoid (well, at least not very much :wink: ) but had some bad experiences in other trips around Europe.
Hank W. wrote:But importing and exporting them cross borders is a different thing. The Estonian Customs got pissy a few years back and confiscated a number of "car cd's" from people.
alloydog wrote:Estonia has (is?) a major source, or at least route for pirated material. If the Estonian Customs are making an effort to crack down then so be it. If you have copies of commercial CDs in your car, and cannot prove you own a legitimate copy of the original work, then how are they to know otherwise? Not every nation has an "innocent until proven guilty" policy.
Don't worry, I don't plan to cross borders with my cd's, and definetely, not to Estonia. :roll: (tell me how am i going to proove I have the original cd if it is in my home in Spain).
Image Image