Is fluency in Finnish enough to get an RP?

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
star3098

Post by star3098 » Sun Jan 11, 2015 5:58 am

Hi there guys, I currently reside in Russia, however I am getting more and more frustrated and disillusioned with it day by day. I have unfinished tertiary education in my stock and by profession I'm what you might call a "freelancer". I don't know if it is important or not, but I am a Ukrainian national and I am not very happy about current Russian Government's brinkmanship type politics, but by the same token neither am I happy about the politics of some Western countries. I am also fluent, competent, proficient, literate and grammatical in Estonian, howbeit seeing how Finnish and Estonian are closely related with each other, what with both of them hailing from the same Finnic language family, I don't reckon it to be a "stretch" for me to become all of the above in Finnish in a rather short period of time.

And then again I don't know whether it matters or not, but I am fluent in a number of Slavic languages (Ukrainian, Belorussian, Bulgarian, Serbian to list a few) and I can also get by in almost all of the Germanic languages (except Icelandic), and I have a fleeting familiarity with some of the Romance languages.

I plan to move to Finland to finish the work of my life in the field of economics and philosophy.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Beep_Boop

Re: Is fluency in Finnish enough to get an RP?

Post by Beep_Boop » Sun Jan 11, 2015 9:27 am

No,
However, looking at the number of languages you know, I would say that it might be possible for you to get some sort of teaching position in some institutes that offer language courses if you acquire some good qualifications.
Your other option is to apply for a study program in which you're interested.
Every case is unique. You can't measure the result of your application based on arbitrary anecdotes online.

rinso

Post by rinso » Sun Jan 11, 2015 10:08 am

To answer your main question; no, fluency does not give you a RP.
You need a job, a spouse or a study place before you can apply for a residence permit.
But if you're fluent in Estonian, you can try that country first. With your language set you have a better chance for a job there.

star3098

Post by star3098 » Sun Jan 11, 2015 2:39 pm

rinso wrote:To answer your main question; no, fluency does not give you a RP.
You need a job, a spouse or a study place before you can apply for a residence permit.
But if you're fluent in Estonian, you can try that country first. With your language set you have a better chance for a job there.
I don't need a job for I am making enough money as a freelancer (mostly translation services) or entrepreneur of sorts to support myself and then even some more to save. But, like I said in the previous sentence I am not looking for a job what I am looking for is security, or in other words, a quite and stable place to "do my thing" in and I happen to find Finland to be such a place after a long fact-finding effort I have undertaken on my part.

I don't know whether it matters or not, but I have visited Finland many times over the past 18 years.

caster

Post by caster » Sun Jan 11, 2015 4:23 pm

You will save a lot in booze cruise if you already in Estonia ;)
I'm gonna make him an offer he can't refuse. I'm gonna grant him all my old underwears that fit his head helping his nose stays in place

burak25

Post by burak25 » Fri Jan 16, 2015 1:50 pm

With those language skills you can find a job in a very short time. (Even if it's just for RP job, you can work minimum required amount till you sort your own business legally in Finland) After getting your job officially recognized in Finland, meaning you can show the police that you are supporting yourself, I think you will be clear.