Starting to make moves

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
sbarnden

Starting to make moves

Post by sbarnden » Wed Jan 21, 2015 5:02 pm

Hi,

I'm just started to look into making a move to Finland from Australia. I was there not long ago on a contract for about 18 months in total, the consulting firm I work for had a project assisting Stockmann with implementing a new retail IT system, and loved the placed and am now looking at moving permanently.

Having already been there I've got a residence permit as I'm a dual British/Australian citizen as well as a tax card and bank account so there should be no real hurdles to moving, other than actually getting there, having a place to stay and income to support myself and my family.

The firm I'm with at the moment doesn't have any further work in Finland now that project wrapped up successfully and won't employ me from there so I'm either going to have to find a job in Finland or go contractor and work as a independent IT consultant basing myself from there. I think I would prefer to work for a Finnish company if I can find one that would hire me and help me make the transition.

Is there any advice on how people started learning Finnish before moving and applying for jobs from outside the country? I've got a couple of books and have been using Memrise on my mobile. According to that my vocabulary is about 2,000 words so far but I'm having trouble turning that into sentences and conversation with the grammar. Ideally it would be nice to find a online language buddy to exchange Finnish/English with but its hard to fit much in around my busy work/family schedule, anyone know where is a good place to look for one?

Starting to make moves

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

caster

Re: Starting to make moves

Post by caster » Thu Jan 22, 2015 1:02 am

Depending you wish to move first or acquire some language skills first. Certainly there is a big market for IT professionals - since you already been with a local employer I don't think it would be a problem for you.

You can always browse through various employers around or just through www.mol.fi There is link on the vacancy page - where you can find English advertisements only. As far as language is concerned you can find couple of useful links through:

http://www.oph.fi/english/services/yki/ ... r_the_test
and
https://www.jyu.fi/hum/laitokset/kielet ... ubprojects

There are many exercises available that may help.
I'm gonna make him an offer he can't refuse. I'm gonna grant him all my old underwears that fit his head helping his nose stays in place