Resident Permit Application Question

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
Devin

Post by Devin » Wed Mar 18, 2015 6:37 am

I recently accepted a job offer in Vantaa and have been taking the plunge into filling out all the required documents for my resident permit.
I have a appointment with the consulate in NYC soon and want to iron this out before I fully commit to flying there.
This probably has been asked several times, however, I cannot seem to find a clear enough answer.

When the documents have to be the originals for the personal appearance, do they have to be the ones physically signed by the company and mailed
to me or can they be signed, scanned, and emailed to me? Work contract / TEM_054

I just want to clarify this since this is my first time applying and being able to use the emailed ones would be so much easier and faster.
Thanks in advance for helping out.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

betelgeuse

Re: Resident Permit Application Question

Post by betelgeuse » Wed Mar 18, 2015 10:02 am

Devin wrote: When the documents have to be the originals for the personal appearance, do they have to be the ones physically signed by the company and mailed
to me or can they be signed, scanned, and emailed to me? Work contract / TEM_054
Scans in an email are not what Finns would consider originals. If you want to be 100% sure you can show up with the copies, then you should consult both the consulate and Migri. There's a way to sign pdfs electronically. This can be done with a service like:

https://www.onnistuu.fi

They probably haven't seen such documents so it might come with its own difficulties.

Elephant

Post by Elephant » Wed Mar 18, 2015 12:12 pm

Why don't you call the NYC consulate and ask them since they're the ones who'll either accept or reject the documents you present? I don't see how opinions from people with different nationalities, whose cases don't match yours and who probably dealt with different consulates can be of any help to you. I have always found the staff at the consulate and embassy to be very helpful and honest.

Rip

Post by Rip » Wed Mar 18, 2015 12:25 pm

You can of course always try to ask the consulate directly, but "original" means "not a copy". i f they don't accept a photocopy made with a copying machine why would they accept a scan made with the same machine and printed out a bit later?

Beep_Boop

Post by Beep_Boop » Wed Mar 18, 2015 1:59 pm

Personal experience: In my first RP application a while ago, they accepted a scan-print version of the acceptance letter from the school after I gave a lengthy explanation why it wasn't possible to get the original.
Every case is unique. You can't measure the result of your application based on arbitrary anecdotes online.

Devin

Post by Devin » Wed Mar 18, 2015 6:08 pm

Thanks guys and gals for the replies. I did originally call the consulate in NYC and emailed them before posting my question, however, they wouldn't give me a direct answer over the phone and then I was told to email them, which didn't go so well either. I called them again today and they finally connected me to someone who deals with the applications which told me they had to be the originals mailed from Finland. The employees at the consulate in NYC are super nice and very helpful, I guess I wasn't clear in explaining my question to them originally so I was at fault for the miscommunication.