Moving to Ekenäs

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
awesometare

Moving to Ekenäs

Post by awesometare » Tue Apr 14, 2015 1:39 am

Hi guys,
I'm just about to move to Ekanäs as I'm pro football player and got an opportunity to go there.I just wanted to know how's life overthere, is it expensive like in other major cities(Helsinki, Turku etc.) or it's a bit cheaper for a living since it's smaller town?
If you have any other suggestions im happy to listen.

Cheers

Moving to Ekenäs

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

FinnGuyHelsinki

Re: Moving to Ekenäs

Post by FinnGuyHelsinki » Tue Apr 14, 2015 8:24 am

Tammisaari (Ekenäs) is now a part of the city of Raasepori. If you have to be there several times a week, at least I wouldn't want to be driving the ~100km back and forth from Helsinki or Turku on a regular basis. Housing prices you can check easily from. e.g. Etuovi or Oikotie, and yes, they're cheaper than in Helsinki or Turku. There are other bigger (yet still small) towns/cities closer to Raasepori, e.g. Lohja and Kirkkonummi, which you might to check out as well.

There's nothing in any of those places that would generally make them a bad choice, it really is a matter of one's needs and preferences.

Rosamunda

Post by Rosamunda » Tue Apr 14, 2015 10:14 am

Ekenas is a Swedish speaking community pretty much through and through, in case that is important to you. You can easily get by in Ekenas with no Finnish. The town is livelier in summer than in winter but, generally speaking, quiet. I would guess that the average age of the local inhabitants is way above your own. There is not much to do there unless you have a boat, like fishing etc. There are a few bars and a few restaurants and a decent market (good for fish). It is not far from Fiskars (which has a few events through the year) and Karis (which is bigger). The drive from Helsinki is not difficult (I drive route 51 every week) but riddled with speed traps.

Flossy1978

Post by Flossy1978 » Tue Apr 14, 2015 1:33 pm

I think he wasn't asking about travelling between the places, but the cost of living there compared to bigger places.

Maybe renting could be a little cheaper. But I found food and other stuff not really any cheaper anywhere in Finland. Like if you go up to the skiing resort places, the stores cost even more than Helsinki, but that's to be expected.

Good luck with your football :)

FinnGuyHelsinki

Post by FinnGuyHelsinki » Tue Apr 14, 2015 3:09 pm

Flossy1978 wrote:I think he wasn't asking about travelling between the places, but the cost of living there compared to bigger places.
Traveling is one aspect of cost of living, both in money and time. Where the balance is met obviously depends on the person. I agree that locally the housing cost is pretty much the only variable in Finland that makes any practical difference, everything else being pretty much the same all over.