Registration of a right of residence

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
beherenow

Post by beherenow » Fri Apr 17, 2015 9:03 pm

Hi all :-), I came to Finland last Wednesday to join my boyfriend who's working here and I managed to secure job (part time software dev) in Helsinki already from my home country (EU). I started working this Monday and two days later I went to Police to fill the registration based on job contract. I read a lot about this procedure and also heard a lot from my friends, who said that the whole process is just a formality and that everybody got registered right on spot without any waiting, so I made sure that I have everything prepared.

However, as you may already suspect, that's not my case :-D. I filled everything, handed my contract and so on but the lady officer told me they'd need to see my first pay slip before they can register me. I'll get one next Thursday already but as it's part time job and for the period of only 2 weeks, taxed by 60% (because I can't get tax card now naturally without registration), the resulting amount will be laughable and I'm afraid that based on this they'll reject my application because of lack of sufficient income :-/.

Just fyi, without that 60% tax my income would be very good, in net exceeding the amount of 1000EUR (which I found on migri site as minimal so I use this as reference point). Today I also brought to Police statement from my home country bank about (substantial) savings on my account, just in case.

Do you please have an idea if this is a standard procedure or should I be really nervous (I already am)? Based on others' experiences about smooth and quick procedure, this caught me off guards... I guess I just need either consolation that this is normal :D or cold hard truth so I can prepare myself for the worst :-). For any answer, thank you a lot :-).
Have a nice Friday! :beer_yum:

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

rinso

Re: Registration of a right of residence

Post by rinso » Sat Apr 18, 2015 7:45 am

beherenow wrote:Hi all :-), I came to Finland last Wednesday to join my boyfriend who's working here and I managed to secure job (part time software dev) in Helsinki already from my home country (EU). I started working this Monday and two days later I went to Police to fill the registration based on job contract. I read a lot about this procedure and also heard a lot from my friends, who said that the whole process is just a formality and that everybody got registered right on spot without any waiting, so I made sure that I have everything prepared.

However, as you may already suspect, that's not my case :-D. I filled everything, handed my contract and so on but the lady officer told me they'd need to see my first pay slip before they can register me. I'll get one next Thursday already but as it's part time job and for the period of only 2 weeks, taxed by 60% (because I can't get tax card now naturally without registration), the resulting amount will be laughable and I'm afraid that based on this they'll reject my application because of lack of sufficient income :-/.

Just fyi, without that 60% tax my income would be very good, in net exceeding the amount of 1000EUR (which I found on migri site as minimal so I use this as reference point). Today I also brought to Police statement from my home country bank about (substantial) savings on my account, just in case.

Do you please have an idea if this is a standard procedure or should I be really nervous (I already am)? Based on others' experiences about smooth and quick procedure, this caught me off guards... I guess I just need either consolation that this is normal :D or cold hard truth so I can prepare myself for the worst :-). For any answer, thank you a lot :-).
Have a nice Friday! :beer_yum:
Yes you should be nervous. The police has some wriggle room when deciding these things.
You seemed to be near the minimum income level and eager to get into the system (and get social security and medical benefits).
This might act as a red flag.

beherenow

Post by beherenow » Sat Apr 18, 2015 11:11 am

Thank you for your answers! However, I need to mention that the contract is permanent, not temporary, two weeks is just a period I'm currently working there, as I've just started. And to answer the question what I will eat in May I added bank statement showing savings around 20k on my home country account - those are the money I'm currently living on. Still not enough? :-/ And also one question... How long this decision for EUs usually takes? I didn't find it anywhere.

Pursuivant

Post by Pursuivant » Sat Apr 18, 2015 3:22 pm

You are being silly.

You go to the magistrate with your work contract, get an ID number, then to the tax office, and get a tax card, then worry about the police in 3 months, then with the police paper back to the magistrate to get the box ticked domiciled resident then KELA card etc. And join the http://www.ytk.fi so you get butter on the näkkileipä when the yt comes.
"By the pricking of my thumbs,
Something wicked this way comes."

beherenow

Post by beherenow » Sat Apr 18, 2015 5:08 pm

Pursuivant wrote:You are being silly.

You go to the magistrate with your work contract, get an ID number, then to the tax office, and get a tax card, then worry about the police in 3 months, then with the police paper back to the magistrate to get the box ticked domiciled resident then KELA card etc. And join the http://www.ytk.fi so you get butter on the näkkileipä when the yt comes.
Oh hell no :-/ everyone urged me to go to Police first, but ok my bad, I understand :-/ I filled there a request for ID number, this is some new practice it seems, but now I'm screwed, I'll get one only when the residence with be registered successfully :-D. Oook... So basically I can't do anyhing else just wait. One question though - if this will be rejected, can I apply once again based on the same grounds but going to maistraati first? It might look pretty weird to Police, I can imagine :-/. I just want to be sure about my options - I purposely wanted only part time job as bf (not finn by the way and I don't want to marry because of Police :-P) earns enough and together with my salary (1800e brutto for part time) it's pretty solid, I wanted to study the language in the remaining time, but I guess it's not going to happen... Oh well! :roll:

Rip

Post by Rip » Sun Apr 19, 2015 3:01 am

It would make no sense for the tax rate be problem with the police. After all, either it is lot less than 60%, or then your earning a LOT more than required for registration.

beherenow

Post by beherenow » Sun Apr 19, 2015 11:27 am

Thank you guys for all your replies, you're such a great help!
So I guess my option now is just to explain while handing over the pay slip (though they'd probably figure out the situation by themselves anyway but just to be sure), as it doesn't make sense to visit Maistraati for ID (and therefore subsequently for tax card) now because unfortunately I've already asked for ID WITH police residence application :-/
Or did I overlook anything else what I can do now? Sorry for so many questions but I've screwed up already so now I'd rather double check :-) . Thanks once again!

Beep_Boop

Post by Beep_Boop » Sun Apr 19, 2015 12:00 pm

I'll reiterate since you're not getting it:

1- Take your contract and go to Maistraatti to get your personal number (henkilötunnus).
2- Go to Vero and get your tax card.
3- Take your tax card and give it to your employer.

Now you're done with your "getting in the system" registration.

4- Take your personal number and go to the police so they can update your application. If they ask for payslips, say you'll bring them later in a month or so. No need to worry here.
5- Once you have your payslip/payslips, take them (or email them) to the police. Now you're registered at the police. Yay!
6- Take the paper from the police and go to Maistraatti so they can update your entry.

Done.
Every case is unique. You can't measure the result of your application based on arbitrary anecdotes online.

beherenow

Post by beherenow » Sun Apr 19, 2015 12:07 pm

adnan wrote:I'll reiterate since you're not getting it:

1- Take your contract and go to Maistraatti to get your personal number (henkilötunnus).
Thank you, adnan! I understand these steps but I'm worried about one thing - since December 2014 it is possible to fill the application for 'henkilötunnus' on Police and that's unfortunately what I did, officer just handed me the paper and I 'obeyed' :-) :-/. I have no problem going to Maistraati tomorrow but wouldn't it create 'chaos' if I fill ANOTHER application for the same thing I've already filled? You know two different applications for one henkilötunnus on two different places? I don't know... :ohno:

rinso

Post by rinso » Sun Apr 19, 2015 12:59 pm

You know two different applications for one henkilötunnus on two different places? I don't know.
Unlikely, but in this scenario you might end up with two numbers.
I guess that would make your life really complicated. :twisted:

Beep_Boop

Post by Beep_Boop » Sun Apr 19, 2015 1:47 pm

You're not gonna end up with two numbers. When you're ID'ed either at Maistraatti or poliisi, your national ID or passport are checked. They have numbers. There won't be duplicates.
Get your number from Maistraatti in the morning and go with it to poliisi so they update your file. If they make a fuss, say you wanted to be a good resident and register for taxes.
Every case is unique. You can't measure the result of your application based on arbitrary anecdotes online.

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Sun Apr 19, 2015 6:07 pm

beherenow wrote: However, as you may already suspect, that's not my case :-D. I filled everything, handed my contract and so on but the lady officer told me they'd need to see my first pay slip before they can register me. I'll get one next Thursday already but as it's part time job and for the period of only 2 weeks, taxed by 60% (because I can't get tax card now naturally without registration), the resulting amount will be laughable and I'm afraid that based on this they'll reject my application because of lack of sufficient income :-/.
You were not taxed 60%. You were withheld 60% because of the lack of tax card. When you get a new tax card it takes into account that 60% was withheld. Regardless of what the tax card says in the end the taxation will be done on the basis of the total yearly income (which results in either returns or extra payments if it differs from the amount withheld during the year). Hopefully the handler at the police is knowledgeable enough to understand this and be able to take it into consideration.
beherenow wrote:
adnan wrote:I'll reiterate since you're not getting it:

Thank you, adnan! I understand these steps but I'm worried about one thing - since December 2014 it is possible to fill the application for 'henkilötunnus' on Police and that's unfortunately what I did, officer just handed me the paper and I 'obeyed' :-) :-/. I have no problem going to Maistraati tomorrow but wouldn't it create 'chaos' if I fill ANOTHER application for the same thing I've already filled? You know two different applications for one henkilötunnus on two different places? I don't know... :ohno:
I wouldn't start parallel processes to avoid creating a confusion. The process is already ongoing as from what I see you haven't received a written decision yet. You will need to eventually get a positive registration from the police and visiting the magistrate has no effect on that. If the decision is negative, you would most likely appeal. Since that process can take a while, only at that point would I consider getting the id number for practical purposes. I would rather do it at the tax authority while getting a tax card.

Pursuivant

Post by Pursuivant » Mon Apr 20, 2015 2:05 am

I think they changed the system... few years back, so you can initiate the process at any of the three (poliisi, maistraatti,vero) but the way as to which way the stuff flows, the "registrar of lives" at the maistraatti is the authority issuing the ID, so then that flows donwards to the others. Least hassle from what I have understood is going to the Vero office, but also it takes a week or so. The police want "proof" and they arent interested of anyone before 3 months as their paper gives domicile and the keys of Kela...

Pursuivant

Post by Pursuivant » Mon Apr 20, 2015 2:09 am

Oh and if at any point they have some question of 2 years or anything, you are not intending to move anywhere or go anywhere and your boyfriend you love and will marry and except be a little mustard-machine popping resident for all eternity. Yes. You are in Finland to stay. Period. Do not elaborate. Any excuse to say "no" is there when you start intentioning...

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Mon Apr 20, 2015 2:29 am

Pursuivant wrote:I think they changed the system... few years back, so you can initiate the process at any of the three (poliisi, maistraatti,vero) but the way as to which way the stuff flows, the "registrar of lives" at the maistraatti is the authority issuing the ID, so then that flows donwards to the others. Least hassle from what I have understood is going to the Vero office, but also it takes a week or so.
I have been to the tax office with a foreigner and they give the ID number on the spot.