Minors, Guardians, Open University and Resident Permits

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
Bradley Whipp

Post by Bradley Whipp » Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:37 am

Hello

I am a white 16 year old male, born in South Africa and have been raised and am currently living in Zambia. I applied to and went and wrote, my entrance exams at the University of Metropolia, this April. I loved Finland and am certainly going to be going back. However due to the fact that I am under 18 and hence a "child", what will be the restrictions and limitations to my activities in Finland, that I can do without a Guardian. In my past trip to the Land of Finns, I found out that I am able to travel from Africa to Finland unaccompanied, provided I have a certificate of birth and a letter of permission from both my parent's. Also I asked an official at Metropolia and they stated that one can stay at the University provided student accommodation, even though I am under 18, I am referring to the HOAS accommodation, though it is not recommended. But the location to the University, coupled with aspect of interaction's with other students is very appealing. Though is it possible, if HOAS accommodation is unavailable, for myself without a Guardian, to access the private market for accommodation, live their on my own, pay the rent every month on my own ( if need be) etc...? Also the transport system within Greater Helsinki at seemed very well done and managed, and it was requested by a lady at the R-Kioski, that if I come to Finland for studies that we get a monthly Helsinki card, as it'll be cheaper than paying in Euros every time the card becomes empty. She did say that as a student one would get a discount, she never stated how much that discount would be, nor did she specify, if myself being a minor would be able to access that. Also, if in the unlikely event that I would have to renew my resident permit in Finland, be it at the Embassy, Immigration services, or police station, could I do it on my own, or would I require one or both of my parents or a guardian.

My brother is also very interested in Finland and shall, most likely be accompanying me. My brother's application for his university (HAMK), was sadly not successful, and this raises the question of him being able to go to Finland. As it is his intention to access his university none the less, using Open University or the Path Way system ( which was recommended by the student administration at HAMK, as there was nothing they could do for him, during this session of applications for the University). I found on the Finnish Immigration website that there are "exceptional situation's" were by a applicant may be granted a residency permit. Does an acceptance to the University through Open University or the Path way system fall into the category of "Exceptional Situations"? Or, if my brother was to get a job offer, by a Finnish Company ( as he has a number of Professional Auto CAD qualifications), would that fall into the category of "Exceptional Situations" ? Or, if I did require a Guardian, which is a position my brother could for fill as he is 19 years old, and he got into the University, using the Path Way system or Open University and I also got my Letter of Acceptance, would that be in the Category of "Exceptional Situations"?

A common statement used by the Finnish Immigration service was that the Applicant, must be able to sustain themselves while they Live in Finland. This shall we hope, not be an obstacle for us and we have already set aside the 8000 euros required, to be kept in the bank account of the applicant, so that aspect of it need not be considered, it is satisfied.

THANK YOU, to whoever took the time to read through my essay of a dilemma, and any and ALL assistance shall be most welcome and most grateful for.

Bradley Whipp

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

betelgeuse

Re: Minors, Guardians, Open University and Resident Permits

Post by betelgeuse » Tue Apr 21, 2015 11:57 am

Bradley Whipp wrote:However due to the fact that I am under 18 and hence a "child", what will be the restrictions and limitations to my activities in Finland, that I can do without a Guardian.
You will not be able to sign many contracts on your own. This includes leases.
Bradley Whipp wrote: She did say that as a student one would get a discount, she never stated how much that discount would be, nor did she specify, if myself being a minor would be able to access that.
The student discount is 50%.
Bradley Whipp wrote: Also, if in the unlikely event that I would have to renew my resident permit in Finland, be it at the Embassy, Immigration services, or police station, could I do it on my own, or would I require one or both of my parents or a guardian.
The student permits are for one year at a time. Since you would be doing a multi year degree, you will have to renew it. This happens at the police station. If you are under 18 at the time of renewal, it should require the permission of all of your legal guardians.

Pursuivant

Post by Pursuivant » Tue Apr 21, 2015 1:07 pm

Yes, agree on the points, you should maybe postpone for a year or 2 and when you are 18 reapply with all the "ducks in a row"... And no, your brother isn't "special" - that paragraph should have someone with two heads as an illustration, its very rarely its being used, basically it gives the officials a bit of leeway so they don't need to be myopic with their decisions, but your brothers way in is "wishful thinking"... whatever the Uni says regarding admission, is admission to the Uni only. Admission to the country is a different thing and they want to see the egg hatch before they believe its a duck...

What you are trying to achieve isn't impossible, you just need to be able to tick all the boxes.
"By the pricking of my thumbs,
Something wicked this way comes."

Rosamunda

Post by Rosamunda » Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:07 pm

I agree with all the above, but I think I do remember some threads on here (not recent though) where a sibling was the legal guardian of a minor. So maybe you might be able to find something using the search engine. Presumably there are refugees that arrive in that situation (I know that is not your case).

Being 18 will make life much easier. I am quite surprised that a Uni is willing to offer you a place if you are only 16. Reading between the lines, I gather you have not actually been offered a place yet.

Bradley Whipp

Post by Bradley Whipp » Wed Apr 22, 2015 9:51 pm

Hello all,

Thanks a lot for the feed back, no problem whatsoever if it is negative tummansininen, better know now So you can make a plan.

Ok so the conclusion I've made from what you guys/gals have stated is that my brother and I in essence are independent from one another when it comes to a residency permit, as opposed to what I originally thought about it being intertwined.

For myself I shall be phoning and emailing the Finish Immigration or Migri, for answers directly about minors. Though there was a proposal that was made by my mother, IF, I did need a guardian, this being that she comes with me initially and sets it all up etc, then goes back to Zambia, cause she can't stay in Finland for months on end. Then if there are any requirements for a Guardian, that I can't dodge, she flies and helps out, what's your views on that plan ?

For my brother we have come up with a solution as well, we know you said forget what the Universities told us, but the Offical at HAMK stated she would write a letter, to be given to Immigration, if my brother got in, stating he'll be doing full time studies like every other student. Which is of great importance cause that's all the letter of acceptance from an Entrance Exam provides too. As you take your letter of acceptance to Immigration to present proof of your intentions in Finland, being to study full time, studies. But that letter from HAMK will only come by the end of July, and that's a bit late taking into account the fact that the term requires you be there on the 15th of August, but Immigration will take longer than 15 days to process your residency permit (or so I've been told). Therefore we came up with a solution to that too, ( which I'd also like clarification on), this being that he applies for a tourist visa which last 3 months, and he uses that to go to Finland start the term etc... while they process his residency permit. Or even to speed it up he goes to the Finland Immigration service, or the police and initiates the process in Finland. Could that work or is there any way too speed up the processing procedure? Or is it even possible for them to process your application while you are in the country?

In relation to the work idea, for residency permit I discovered today that it would be impossible, cause I was reading the YLE news and the last poll conducted by YLE stated that 75% of candidates don't want work based immigration, and I completely understand why. It's also why I have no problem with Finland's strict immigration laws, cause it stops the unsustainable rates of immigration into some southern European Mediterranean countries.

But to assist ourselves further we have purchased teach yourself Finnish tapes and book's and have begun that journey.

Once again any feed back positive/negitve is most welcome.

Pursuivant

Post by Pursuivant » Thu Apr 23, 2015 11:39 pm

Using a tourust visa is also a no-no, you need to apply from abroad these types of permits on the initial run.
"By the pricking of my thumbs,
Something wicked this way comes."

AldenG

Post by AldenG » Fri Apr 24, 2015 1:42 am

tummansininen wrote:Don't despair - there is one particular large western country where we continually get people telling us they have enough money so they intend to move to Finland :lol: and it never occurs to them that they can't. The good news is that you at least have the talent to get placement on merit, so you will be able to come, and if not this year then eventually. :)
Australia? I seem to remember a couple of those. :D

No, wait -- you mean England, of course. That's fresh in mind.

Unless you're thinking of the Netherlands, but that's not particularly large.
As he persisted, I was obliged to tootle him gently at first and then, seeing no improvement, to trumpet him vigorously with my horn.

Flossy1978

Post by Flossy1978 » Fri Apr 24, 2015 2:52 am

I think she means America :D

AldenG

Post by AldenG » Fri Apr 24, 2015 3:58 am

Flossy1978 wrote:I think she means America :D
She must mean Texas.

But as we've read here before, they're not from America, they're from Texas.
As he persisted, I was obliged to tootle him gently at first and then, seeing no improvement, to trumpet him vigorously with my horn.