Residence Permit Help

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
RadioBoy

Residence Permit Help

Post by RadioBoy » Tue Apr 19, 2005 9:29 pm

I'm a UK passport holder. I moved here in 1999 and got a 1 year residence permit. I recently realised that I never renewed my permit, just carried on working and living here, paying my taxes for a further 5 years. I just finished my job and now in the process of starting my own business in Finland but what to do about the permit? I want to put things in order if necessary but where to start and what to do? Anyone got any experience of this. Should I be worried?

Residence Permit Help

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

alloydog

Post by alloydog » Wed Apr 20, 2005 6:36 am

Nope, no experience at all, with expired permits...
Buts, but I would hazard a guess that since no one came looking for you to sling you over the border, then you shouldn't have much of a worry - For an EU citizen, the residents permit is more of a formality that anything else.

Just go to your local police station and explain what happened. I would also reckon that because you have been here over five years you will get your permanent permit straight away.

Only be worried if you are visited by a couple of guys in green jumpsuits - the border gaurds... ;)

Len Matthews

Post by Len Matthews » Wed Apr 20, 2005 8:32 am

I had a similar problem in that I didn't renew for 2 years. When I eventually did get round to it I just had to write a short paragraph to explain why I hadn't and that was it, I got a new one straight away.
I have a stepladder. It's a very nice stepladder, but it's sad that I never knew my real ladder.

neil

Post by neil » Wed Apr 20, 2005 4:20 pm

This is not an answer to your question but is related:

Someone please correct me if I am wrong, but didn't the law just change for EU migrants so that after your 5 year permit expires you automatically get permanent residency without filling in any more forms or applying for new ID cards?

For the 1-2 year (or shorter) permits I know they are able to fine you something like 20EUR a day if you are late in re-applying. Good old Finland! ;)
Neil

Please add a link to https://www.finlandforum.org

andycrofts

Expired residence permit, too

Post by andycrofts » Wed Aug 03, 2005 11:52 pm

Someone please correct me if I am wrong, but didn't the law just change for EU migrants so that after your 5 year permit expires you automatically get permanent residency without filling in any more forms or applying for new ID cards?
Yikes! I hope it's true, 'coos I'm in the same boat
Any update on this???

watsonwatson

Post by watsonwatson » Thu Aug 04, 2005 8:26 am

Don't worry! As an EU citizen the Finnish government has no legal right to ask you to fill in residency permit forms. A British friend of mine pointed this out to a police officer, when offered only a 6 month permit. The result was an embarassing climbdown for the Finnish police officer, who was forced to admit that the whole permit thing is a formality for an EU citizen

My advice is to ignore the whole issue. If someone does bother you for a permit mention the Single European Act of 1992 and then watch their face drop

watsonwatson

Post by watsonwatson » Thu Aug 04, 2005 8:29 am

Sorry, I forgot one other important piece of info, do fill in the forms if you intend to apply for Finnish citizenship

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Thu Aug 04, 2005 11:45 am

watsonwatson wrote:Don't worry! As an EU citizen the Finnish government has no legal right to ask you to fill in residency permit forms.
And without a residence permit, the Magistrate has no legal obligation to file you as a permanent resident in Finland nor give you an ID number. Thus as you aren't a resident you don't get a KELA card, no city residents' benefits etc.
Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.

luoto

Post by luoto » Thu Aug 04, 2005 6:03 pm

But even with a residence card KELA might not give you a card if you don't work for a Finnish company or if they want to be awkward claiming you can still be covered by your home (EU) country's social security net...

dusty_bin

Post by dusty_bin » Thu Aug 04, 2005 6:12 pm

The point is though, that seemingly, the OP need not worry. Why not just apply from the beginning. Do not say anything unless asked, in which case be honest.

I know at least one person living in Finland for over five years who never registered, who enjoyed free health care and education...

This is probably a non-issue for an EU citizen, but worth getting right for the longer term benefits.

perhonen

Post by perhonen » Wed Aug 24, 2005 1:52 pm

Hi,

has ayone come across any problems after the last post?
My 5 year residence permit runs out this months as well, but I do have a permanent kela card and should be registered permanently.

I am a bit unsure if I should go to the police and register with them again, on the other hand I guess Finland should have all the information on me right now...

I checked the police web site and there was no update on the new EU laws, but on the misitry of foreign affairs was an update.

Just wanted to share my thoughts. Enjoy your day!