Splitting Life Between Finland and UK

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
Sugarloaf

Post by Sugarloaf » Sun Apr 26, 2015 3:39 pm

My husband and I are looking into splitting the year between Finland (probably Tampere) and London. My job in consultancy may allow this but his work is strictly London based, so in reality it would be me living in Finland more. I would still be employed in the UK and work remotely from Finland, and I would obviously need to spend more than six months in London to avoid any issues with taxation etc.

If my work allows me to go ahead (I've already been told it could be possible subject to various conditions), I'm thinking a year ahead, and would start preparations for next April to coincide with the UK tax year. I am a Finn, but I have lived in the UK for twenty years, and all my work life and higher education is from here. My husband is Irish, and we have no children. The reasons for doing this are my sudden longing for Finland (first time in the twenty years spent away) and my aging parents who haven't been very well recently.

Are there any others who split their lives between two countries? How has it worked in practice? Which months would be best to spend in Finland? What would we do with our apartment in Finland when not there? Would it be smarter to live in a flatshare or rent a flat, and then sublet it when not there..? Anything I should consider specifically and/or be aware of? All advice would be much appreciated!

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

caster

Re: Splitting Life Between Finland and UK

Post by caster » Sun Apr 26, 2015 10:57 pm

Times have changed and times are strange - Here I come, but I ain't the same - Mama, I'm coming home Mamma I'm coming home :lol:

Nothing can be said to change you and your point of view for splitting lives, however, its your choice and you must be aware of the consequences of being apart as you are not doing this for sake of work or better life and, indeed, you are living it already.

The only thing I see is emotional strain you will go through by times while apart unless you are well prepared to handle, other than that I can't see anything that would be difficult since you are longing for home sweet home :thumbsup:

Obviously keeping London for winters would be wise and six months rental strategy would works fine even a small yksio rather a shared mess :thumbsup:
I'm gonna make him an offer he can't refuse. I'm gonna grant him all my old underwears that fit his head helping his nose stays in place

Sugarloaf

Re: Splitting Life Between Finland and UK

Post by Sugarloaf » Mon Apr 27, 2015 7:42 am

Thanks caster, and yes, a rather fitting Ozzy quote there..! :lol: I was not expecting to get so homesick all of a sudden, and for it to stick around as well. Perhaps my plan of spending more time in Finland will cure me of it sooner than expected too, who knows.

Yes, the emotional strain may become an issue, and if so, then obviously the dude is more important and I'll move back. I don't think he would survive Finland long term. ;) Love of Finland just isn't enough...

I wondered about the winter/summer split. I would rather do 1 month Finland and 1.5-2 months in London, but then what to do with the flat in Finland while away. We'll be paying rent in Finland and mortgage in the UK, so the rent will have to be mega-cheap. But you're right about shared flats. It might be messy all right! Also as I'd be working from home I'm likely to need some peace and quiet... which rules out working at the summer cottage. It will not be cheap I guess whatever I do!

It would be great to hear from others who split their lives between two countries! Are there any such people here..?!