How much Tax will I pay?

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
betelgeuse

Re: How much Tax will I pay?

Post by betelgeuse » Sun May 17, 2015 3:20 pm

adnan wrote:
betelgeuse wrote:I don't underestimate since I don't want to submit false information. It just has happened that due to varying circumstances the tax cards sent by Vero have had lower limits.
*sigh* Did you really have to phrase it like that, just for ahole points? Well, congrats.. you gained some points.

Let me play your game a bit: So you basically intentionally withhold the correct information by intentionally not submitting corrections to Vero's low numbers? There's no ambiguity here about your intentions. You said you that you "use the opposite strategy of minimizing withholding ".
I have not came across any requirement to update the tax card sent by Vero if the numbers are too low. Yes there's no ambiguity about the desired end result. I just only accept some methods to achieve it.
adnan wrote: So, it's clear here. You're intentionally letting Vero have incorrect numbers for the sole purpose having the equivalent of an interest-free loan. Of course, this equates to more effort and work put by the tax administration to work on collecting the extra unpaid taxes from you (sending the letter, making sure you paid, and all the human effort associated with that).

This boils down to you wasting the public's money. Let's try a different game this time; the "let's be nice to people who are being nice to us" game.
Actually getting a new tax card would use more resources from Vero. I have a business id as a sole trader which at least the last time I dealt with updated tax cards meant that someone had to manually look at the application. Additionally I have capital income that does not get automatically reported to Vero and it can't be estimated accurately. This means I always have to correct the proposal they send me. The end result is that not applying for updated tax card should also be your preferred approach in my situation.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

zoeker

Post by zoeker » Sun May 17, 2015 5:34 pm

roger_roger wrote:
zoeker wrote:Hello roger_roger, thank you for the reply! Are you sure about this? If 25.5% is the percentage that I should be using and municipal tax, broadcasting tax, etc. are included that would mean a pure income tax of 25.5 - 18.5 - 0.68 - (...) = less than 7%. I don't think this can be true. 7% is way too low.
and what your point is? are you trying to calculate your own take home income after tax, or suggesting tax authority should charge more federal tax?
My point is that nowhere have I seen a federal tax of < 7% being mentioned. A logically sound calculation is expected to match all official information.
roger_roger wrote:
zoeker wrote:Do you mean my future payslip? The thing is I need this information before I agree to a certain salary and sign a contract.
BTW where are you coming from? don't you get tax explanation information from your tax authority about the deductions? its same here, the tax authority (Vero where you used that calculator) gives you explanation of your tax informations and possible deduction percentages.
Before coming to Finland I worked for several years in Germany. In this German tax calculator for example the sole thing one has to do is input the gross salary (be it monthly or yearly) and one gets the net salary at the bottom. I haven't been able to find such a calculator for Finland.

GermanInHelsinki

Post by GermanInHelsinki » Sun May 17, 2015 7:25 pm

After substracting the 6.35% the Vero calculator is of course such a calculator, so 68% (100% - 25.5% - 6.35%) of your gross income is what goes to your bank account.

One difference people complaining about high taxation in Finland of course don't mention is that this already contains all taxes and social security (including pension) and government TV.

Different from Germany you don't have to pay an additional 20% of the gross income for social security - in Finland you of course get more net income from the same gross income than in Germany (300 Euro more net per month in your case).

zoeker

Post by zoeker » Sun May 17, 2015 8:09 pm

GermanInHelsinki wrote:After substracting the 6.35% the Vero calculator is of course such a calculator, so 68% (100% - 25.5% - 6.35%) of your gross income is what goes to your bank account.

One difference people complaining about high taxation in Finland of course don't mention is that this already contains all taxes and social security (including pension) and government TV.

Different from Germany you don't have to pay an additional 20% of the gross income for social security - in Finland you of course get more net income from the same gross income than in Germany (300 Euro more net per month in your case).
Hi GermanInHelsinki. By no means do I complain about the taxation rate, especially now that I roughly know what it will be. I'm rather complaining about the lack of a proper calculator. On a sidenote, it is true that taxation is less in Finland. It is also true however that life here is more expensive than in Germany.

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Sun May 17, 2015 9:28 pm

zoeker wrote: I'm rather complaining about the lack of a proper calculator.
What would be needed to turn the Vero site to a "proper calculator"?

Beep_Boop

Post by Beep_Boop » Sun May 17, 2015 9:49 pm

zoeker wrote:I'm rather complaining about the lack of a proper calculator. On a sidenote, it is true that taxation is less in Finland. It is also true however that life here is more expensive than in Germany.
Could you please be more specific? I think the Vero calculator is pretty good.
And, yes indeed. Taxation is cheaper in Finland (at least from my experience in my salary range). General life expenses are also noticeably higher in Finland (especially foodstuff and alcohol).
Every case is unique. You can't measure the result of your application based on arbitrary anecdotes online.

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Sun May 17, 2015 10:28 pm

adnan wrote: And, yes indeed. Taxation is cheaper in Finland (at least from my experience in my salary range). General life expenses are also noticeably higher in Finland (especially foodstuff and alcohol).
I solve the problem with alcohol for domestic use by ordering in bulk from abroad.

Beep_Boop

Post by Beep_Boop » Sun May 17, 2015 11:01 pm

betelgeuse wrote:I solve the problem with alcohol for domestic use by ordering in bulk from abroad.
I used to do the same until this year. 9 out of the 11 main European suppliers (trustworthy, good reviews, etc.) with online outlets have dropped Finland since February 2015. The remaining two are quite expensive when it comes to shipping. (More info)
The best one, in my opinion, was Gourmondo. Too bad we lost them.

Do you have better sources?
Every case is unique. You can't measure the result of your application based on arbitrary anecdotes online.

zoeker

Post by zoeker » Mon May 18, 2015 8:08 am

betelgeuse wrote:
zoeker wrote: I'm rather complaining about the lack of a proper calculator.
What would be needed to turn the Vero site to a "proper calculator"?
adnan wrote:
zoeker wrote:I'm rather complaining about the lack of a proper calculator. [...]
Could you please be more specific? I think the Vero calculator is pretty good.[...]
Good morning! A proper calculator is one created while keeping usability in mind, that
  • is asking questions that a non-expert in taxation is able to answer and
  • is giving results that do not need any further processing when we're talking about a basic calculation such as in the gross/net case.

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Mon May 18, 2015 9:29 am

adnan wrote:
betelgeuse wrote:I solve the problem with alcohol for domestic use by ordering in bulk from abroad.
I used to do the same until this year. 9 out of the 11 main European suppliers (trustworthy, good reviews, etc.) with online outlets have dropped Finland since February 2015. The remaining two are quite expensive when it comes to shipping. (More info)
The best one, in my opinion, was Gourmondo. Too bad we lost them.

Do you have better sources?
I sent a private message since this is off topic.
zoeker wrote: Good morning! A proper calculator is one created while keeping usability in mind, that
  • is asking questions that a non-expert in taxation is able to answer and
  • is giving results that do not need any further processing when we're talking about a basic calculation such as in the gross/net case.
Ok so more accurately you want to improve the usability of the current calculator. I agree it could use some tweaking. However, it will not become trivial to use without the help of the parliament in changing laws to make taxation simpler.