Residence card for non-EU citizen marrying EU citizen?

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
Moving Again

Post by Moving Again » Thu May 21, 2015 8:37 am

So I've searched the forum (and the interweb), and I think that if I (a Brit living here for 5 years) marry my Russian girlfriend in Helsinki, she applies for a residence card, not permit? Can anyone confirm that? And is it any quicker than getting a residence permit, which I understand can take 4 months or so?

I also understand that she can just turn up at a police station, and wait (and wait and wait), without having an appointment. Is this correct?

One more question (and yes, I'm going to try phoning the police today, again) - her multi trip business visa runs out shortly after our planned wedding date, but can she renew her visa from here while waiting for the residence card?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Moving Again

Re: Residence card for non-EU citizen marrying EU citizen?

Post by Moving Again » Thu May 21, 2015 9:27 am

tummansininen wrote:She applies for a residence card as a family member of an EU citizen who has registered his right of residence here, yes, and you can turn up and wait and wait, or at least, you could when I did my childrens' applications in 2009, so take the passage of years vs being gospel accordingly! http://www.poliisi.fi/licences/licences ... foreigners

I believe she would not need to renew the visa in terms of staying here legally so long as she has submitted her application with the police. However I think I know what you're asking - she can't work while waiting for the decision so she would need a working visa as well. As to how that dances while someone has a residence application in progress, that's one to ask the police.
Thanks. I've just spoken to the police and they confirmed that she gets a card, not a permit, and that it will take 'a few weeks', and that we can turn up at Pasila in the afternoon.

And as you say, her current visa is ok, and we aren't worried about a her working, as she ain't gonna get a job with her level of Finnish, which is worse that mine (but I suspect that she will learn a great deal faster than I did :D ).

bm50
AKA cockney

Post by bm50 » Sat May 23, 2015 2:47 pm

Thanks. I've just spoken to the police and they confirmed that she gets a card, not a permit, and that it will take 'a few weeks', and that we can turn up at Pasila in the afternoon.

And as you say, her current visa is ok, and we aren't worried about a her working, as she ain't gonna get a job with her level of Finnish, which is worse that mine (but I suspect that she will learn a great deal faster than I did :D ).
Moving Again

Hi, Did I read right, a residence permit ( card ) in a few weeks? Not months?

bm50
AKA cockney

Post by bm50 » Sat May 23, 2015 4:34 pm

Hi, Yes also the Poliisi web page quotes 2500 applications for family member permits in Helsinki area stretching back to October 2014!

Moving Again

Post by Moving Again » Sun May 24, 2015 8:02 pm

tummansininen wrote:bm50 I had the same reaction as you. The Poliisi website just quotes the Act, which states six months, with a longer wait if the application is deficient or if exceptional difficulties arise. Having said that, the Police are known to change their minds in all directions with all things. Could be six weeks, could be twelve months. I had one friend who waited nine months for hers.

OP: expect the permit to take six months.
Hmm. Doesn't look so good. Thanks for the heads up; I should have spotted that.

Moving Again

Post by Moving Again » Mon Jul 06, 2015 12:14 am

It's almost D-day, and everything is planned (we're going to queue at Pasila police station the day after the wedding), but I've just checked the list of required documents on their website, and it includes 'an account of the applicant's family ties'*. Anyone know what this is? There is a form on the Migri website called 'Clarification of family ties', but nothing on the police website (and their 'forms' page is empty).

Any other information on required documents would also be appreciated - the policewoman I spoke to on the phone said they need the application form, marriage certificate, my police certificate, and my contract plus 3 months' payslips, but the Migri site has far stricter requirements (proof of this and last year's income, tax certificate etc). Am I right in thinking that's not relevant, due to my being EU?

Just out of interest, has anyone here done this online? It now appears to be possible, but you still have to go to a police station within one month with the original documents, so there doesn't seem to be any point in applying online.

* Also called 'clarification of family ties form' on the police online application page.
Last edited by Moving Again on Mon Jul 06, 2015 12:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Moving Again

Post by Moving Again » Mon Jul 06, 2015 12:19 am

tummansininen wrote:...Could be six weeks, could be twelve months. I had one friend who waited nine months for hers.

OP: expect the permit to take six months.
One more thing - they told me when I phoned a second time that it would be quite quick, and my wife wouldn't even need medical insurance while she's waiting (which she's obtained anyway). I got the impression that it's a fomality and isn't going to take months at all, perhaps not even weeks. No probs if it does, I can keep her in shoes and handbags for while yet, it just means no new bike for me this year. :(

Upphew

Post by Upphew » Tue Jul 07, 2015 12:22 pm

tummansininen wrote:And it may be a formality, but sadly that has no impact on the wait time, which is dependent on the load. And this seems to be the busiest time of year when half the staff are on summer holidays and all the EU students are trying to register.
RP renewals are also done by police and the students start to do their renewals about now too... dunno if there are different people handling the registrations and RPs though.
http://google.com http://translate.google.com http://urbandictionary.com
Visa is for visiting, Residence Permit for residing.

Moving Again

Post by Moving Again » Wed Jul 08, 2015 9:39 am

I've just called the police again, to check the required paperwork - wish I hadn't. The person I spoke to suggested there might be an issue as I haven't lived with my fiancee, and we are only getting married next week (and applying for the card after that). That's completely different to what I've been told before. And she asked if my fiancee has any savings or income. I thought they only needed proof that I can support her.

Can anyone confirm that a non-EU wife of an EU citizen with permanent residence can get a residence card, when they haven't lived together?

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Wed Jul 08, 2015 10:14 am

Moving Again wrote:I've just called the police again, to check the required paperwork - wish I hadn't. The person I spoke to suggested there might be an issue as I haven't lived with my fiancee, and we are only getting married next week (and applying for the card after that). That's completely different to what I've been told before. And she asked if my fiancee has any savings or income. I thought they only needed proof that I can support her.

Can anyone confirm that a non-EU wife of an EU citizen with permanent residence can get a residence card, when they haven't lived together?
Yes she can. However, depending on the nationality of the wife you might be investigated whether the marriage is just for the residence permit which might result in having to appeal and see how it goes. I would gather evidence of photos from tourist trips etc together.

Moving Again

Post by Moving Again » Wed Jul 08, 2015 3:08 pm

betelgeuse wrote:
Moving Again wrote:I've just called the police again, to check the required paperwork - wish I hadn't. The person I spoke to suggested there might be an issue as I haven't lived with my fiancee, and we are only getting married next week (and applying for the card after that). That's completely different to what I've been told before. And she asked if my fiancee has any savings or income. I thought they only needed proof that I can support her.

Yes she can. However, depending on the nationality of the wife you might be investigated whether the marriage is just for the residence permit which might result in having to appeal and see how it goes. I would gather evidence of photos from tourist trips etc together.
She's Russian. We have a few photos of us together, receipts for holidays (if I can find them) and my passport is almost full of visas from the times I've been to her place, although normally she comes here. Hope that's enough.

Moving Again

Post by Moving Again » Tue Jul 28, 2015 1:13 pm

A letter from the police arrive today - her card is ready to be collected. Twelve days!