From America to Finland

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
Richard

Re: US to Finland

Post by Richard » Tue Jun 07, 2005 11:02 am

Papu wrote:Finland is very similar to the US in many respects, certainly the most similar country to the us in Europe (I think even more so than Britain).
Wow, coming from the UK, I'd have put the UK closer to the US than Finland is. Granted I've only been to the US 3 times for a maximum of 2 weeks.

They do like Chevy Vans more here though :D

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Tue Jun 07, 2005 12:34 pm

Richard wrote: They do like Chevy Vans more here though

She don't like, she really don't like,
big Chevy Vans, she don't like bumping around!

It really makes her bloom

And it's nothin' but
Backseat of a Trans Am
Backseat of a Trans Am
Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.

acwan

Post by acwan » Tue Jun 07, 2005 12:47 pm

Richard wrote:Wow, coming from the UK, I'd have put the UK closer to the US than Finland is. Granted I've only been to the US 3 times for a maximum of 2 weeks.
Agree.

scoobymcdoo

Post by scoobymcdoo » Tue Jun 07, 2005 1:00 pm

I agree, I think the Uk is closer to the US than it is to Finland.
Having come from the UK, I have to admit I prefer Finland. During our last trip back to the UK we realised that we never want to move back there! We are far happier (and far better off financially) in Finland. If we could move friends and some select family out here life would be even better!

With regard to the winter, we moved here at the beginning of December and were surprised at how much more light there was in the day time than we had come to expect. John is from the very north of Scotland and has found the daylight hours very similar. I loved my first winter here, though from what I've heard it wasn't a particularly cold one.

The one thing I miss about the Uk is the darkness at night! One's body clock gets slightly screwed when you are woken to do a 5 am feed and there is bright sunlight pouring in! I love the long evenings thogh sitting (wrapped) up on the balcony.

Hannah

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Tue Jun 07, 2005 1:07 pm

Thick curtains, thick curtains...
Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.

scoobymcdoo

Post by scoobymcdoo » Tue Jun 07, 2005 2:02 pm

Yup...shame they are in storage still!

I feel a trip to IKEA coming on!

Hannah

Richard

Post by Richard » Tue Jun 07, 2005 2:04 pm

scoobymcdoo wrote:I agree, I think the Uk is closer to the US than it is to Finland.
I said "I'd have put the UK closer to the US than Finland is" which is slightly different.

dbarrios

Post by dbarrios » Fri Jun 24, 2005 4:21 pm

As an American who's spent time in the UK and now in Finland, I was MUCH more at home in the UK. But I was in London, so I'm not sure if it's very different outside the city.

Also, about 50% of the time when I think I've spotted fellow Americans (fashion and facial expression is enough to set them apart), they have turned out to be English or Scottish. And all the friends I've made here so far have happened to be Irish.

Criss

It was miserable for me!

Post by Criss » Tue Jun 28, 2005 3:02 am

I grew up in Alabama and moved to Helsinki in Oct. It was in the 80s when I left Birmingham and in the 40s when I arrived in Helsinki.
We married in Feb. Needless to say, it was a very cold wedding night.
I hated all of the snow and cold. I loved the public transportation system and the lack of crime in Finland.
We now live in Panama City Beach, FL (http://www.panamacitybeachonline.com)
but are thinking about moving back to Helsinki in about 4 or 5 years, when my wife will have enough time in to collect her social security when she reaches 63. We are thinking that we will come out better if she can go back to work in Finland and pay into the Finnish retirement system again.
I hate the American nursing homes. According to my wife, the Finnish government takes better care of their old folks than we do here in the USA.

Criss

It was miserable for me!

Post by Criss » Tue Jun 28, 2005 3:03 am

I grew up in Alabama and moved to Helsinki in Oct 99. It was in the 80s when I left Birmingham and in the 40s when I arrived in Helsinki.
We married in Feb. Needless to say, it was a very cold wedding night.
I hated all of the snow and cold. I loved the public transportation system and the lack of crime in Finland. We came back to the states in Apr 00.
We now live in Panama City Beach, FL (http://www.panamacitybeachonline.com)
but are thinking about moving back to Helsinki in about 4 or 5 years, when my wife will have enough time in to collect her social security when she reaches 63. We are thinking that we will come out better if she can go back to work in Finland and pay into the Finnish retirement system again.
I hate the American nursing homes. According to my wife, the Finnish government takes better care of their old folks than we do here in the USA.