Anyone coming from UK to Finland want to drive a car over?

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
njmac

Post by njmac » Sun Jun 07, 2015 4:09 pm

I have a beautiful old Audi in the UK that I need to bring over to Finland but I'm struggling for time right now. I have previously driven from Scotland to central Finland and really enjoyed it. This time I want to bring my older Audi coupe quattro (in very good condition) over. I'll go and get it during the summer but thought to ask if anyone is coming over and feels like a nice long drive with the sound of an Audi 5 cylinder engine to keep them company? (and a radio/CD player too if that's what you prefer) :D
cheers
nj

yes that's a right hand drive car. no I don't work for the Posti

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

aguinness

Re: Anyone coming from UK to Finland want to drive a car ove

Post by aguinness » Tue Jun 09, 2015 3:58 pm

Hi, Would you pm me some more information on what you are expecting from this, as in who pays for, insurance, breakdowns, tolls, fuel, and is the car road legal, where from and to? I have driven Ireland to Finland and back before and work a lot in the Uk at the moment so it could be a possibility, Also a little more detail on the car:)
Image Image

SecretCode

Post by SecretCode » Tue Jun 09, 2015 5:40 pm

I could be interested in this!

Same questions as aguinness - maybe you could post key details here - at least the origin and destination towns :)

njmac

Post by njmac » Wed Jun 10, 2015 1:05 pm

I'll send private messages to you both in a second. I have a couple of friends in the UK who are now thinking of driving it over as a bit of a holiday. Not sure if I have to pay for their return flights yet though :)

The car is a 1990 audi coupe quattro 2.3 20 valve. It's full road legal, it has been fully serviced and any minor issues are cosmetic (for me to tinker with at a later date).
It's sitting in Brecon in Wales, but I could probably get someone to take it to London or the south coast to make life easier. I'm in Kajaani but the car only has to reach Helsinki or Turku and I'd come down to get it. To be honest I will probably be a bit moody at having missed out on an epic drive in one of my favourite cars (I've had about 15 audi coupes, including a coupe of S2 coupes. My wife may call it a bit of an obsession) :D

I would want to discuss the route and costs with the potential driver before committing but essentially I would pay all costs if they are reasonable. I know for example that my insurance would be a hell of a lot lower than some other people's.
Last edited by njmac on Wed Jun 10, 2015 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

njmac

Post by njmac » Wed Jun 10, 2015 1:07 pm

roger_roger wrote:Driving a coupe for such a long distance is going to be really challenging and tiresome business. good luck :thumbsup:
depends on the car really. And seats. The Audi coupe is very comfortable for a late 80s/early 90s car and i've driven many of them over large distances without any issues. I would take a 1990 Audi coupe before a brand new Korean hatchback for example :)