Suggestion for Health Insurance

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
shekhar

Post by shekhar » Wed Jul 01, 2015 1:12 pm

Hi Everyone,

My wife and kid will be moving to Finland for 3 months and I need medical insurance for both.

My kid is just 4 months old and I prefer private medical insurance which covers hospitalisation, outpatient treatment and other expenses.

Can someone suggest me good companies links for this.

I contacted Nordea and their said they can give insurance only if my wife speaks finnish..wierd process..

Thanks in advance.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Rip

Re: Suggestion for Health Insurance

Post by Rip » Fri Jul 03, 2015 9:15 am

roger_roger wrote: Use Google Chrome with Translator and fill up the form in different insurance companies and compare the price. Remember until you hit purchase, you haven't purchased the insurance, so, don't hesitate to provide accurate SSN and infos while the online form asks, it'd help you compare the price.
There are also subtle differences in what is covered and what is not (OP can understand the terms and conditions, right?)
I still have doubt as your 4 month old kid cannot get insurance. Usually they don't like insuring Infants after birth, they (Insurance companies) usually ask to take child insurance before the birth i.e. during pregnancy. Its not only in Finland, its general practice of Insurance companies all over I guess.
I think they do insure them. You're just not covered by anything considered "preexisting condition".

Three months really sounds to me (too) like something better covered by travel insurance than regular health insurance.

shekhar

Re: Suggestion for Health Insurance

Post by shekhar » Fri Jul 03, 2015 3:32 pm

Thanks Roger and Rip for the detailed responses.

I am still researching which one to go for. I am starting to like pohjola offer but not decided yet.
roger_roger wrote: Use Google Chrome with Translator and fill up the form in different insurance companies and compare the price. Remember until you hit purchase, you haven't purchased the insurance, so, don't hesitate to provide accurate SSN and infos while the online form asks, it'd help you compare the price.
I asked Nordea guys if I can get a Finnish friend who can translate stuff for me to english, still they say its not acceptable :)
rip wrote: I still have doubt as your 4 month old kid cannot get insurance. Usually they don't like insuring Infants after birth, they (Insurance companies) usually ask to take child insurance before the birth i.e. during pregnancy. Its not only in Finland, its general practice of Insurance companies all over I guess.

If for just three months, then why not try to get private insurance cover from her home country? Even if you take Insurance from Finland, if your spouse is not covered under Kela Insurance, she cannot claim your insurance back from private company.
My kid had insurance in India but that plan is not applicable here.
Duration for my wife and kid's may be 3 months initially but most likely it will get extended to 6 months one year not sure. As we have resident permit for one year.It depends on my work.Lets see.

Thanks..