The Basics...

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
LizAlbuquerque

The Basics...

Post by LizAlbuquerque » Fri Jul 10, 2015 11:03 am

Hey guys!
Me and my husband are planing to move to Finland (I'm a UE Citizen and he's not), and we've been looking for some information but it's been hard to find... So i appreciate all the help you can give us! So, here it is:
1. we need a cheap flat to start with. We would like to rent for, let's say, 3 months. We've checked some websites and came to the prices of 600 euros in Helsinki, in average. The thing is, we don't need a big place or a flat that's in Helsinki. We just need something kinda cheap, with some furniture. Any ideas of cities we can pick? Any good websites to search for places?

2. I'm Portuguese and a UE citizen, so that means i could go to Finland and stay those 3 months and then get a permit? Is that correct? And what about my husband after 3 months? What would we have to do so that we could both stay in Finland?

3. long story short, We work as freelancers creating websites. Can we just stay in Finland and work as freelancers? How does that work? Or we would need to open a company or something?

So sorry if it all sounds so basic...
Again, we do appreciate all the help!
Thanks so much!

The Basics...

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

rinso

Re: The Basics...

Post by rinso » Fri Jul 10, 2015 1:33 pm

If you consider €600,- to much, you should look outside Helsinki. In towns in central and East Finland you can find nice places for less.

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Fri Jul 10, 2015 6:50 pm

LizAlbuquerque wrote: 3. long story short, We work as freelancers creating websites. Can we just stay in Finland and work as freelancers? How does that work? Or we would need to open a company or something?
https://www.prh.fi/en/kaupparekisteri/y ... rader.html

LizAlbuquerque

Post by LizAlbuquerque » Sat Jul 11, 2015 2:04 am

tummansininen wrote:1. For furnished, short term and without a residency permit your options are limited. I have sent you a PM, I know you can't answer it yet but you'll be able to read it.
2. Yes, YOU can be here for three months as a tourist before you must register. Your husband can only do what his nationality/visa/residence permit rules say, so he will need to check that himself.

The two of you will need to show 20 000e in the bank to register as residents or show jobs/income that produce that much.

As for continuing your jobs here, someone else here with more knowledge of self-employment, residence and tax rules will surely be able to answer that question for you.
Thank you so much for your message!
We are still preparing to go and it probably will be a year or so till we are there, but ill pop you a message if we do decide to use airbnb (we've used once and it was great, so!).
Also, thank you for all the info :) I can't wait to be able to go!!

LizAlbuquerque

Post by LizAlbuquerque » Sat Jul 11, 2015 2:07 am

rinso wrote:If you consider €600,- to much, you should look outside Helsinki. In towns in central and East Finland you can find nice places for less.
Thank you so much for the info!
We are still making money in Reais, that are 4 times less than euros, so 600x4 is still a bit much... Just the travel tickets are something like 12000 Reais, so we really bed to save up as much as can in the first months...

Again, thank you!

LizAlbuquerque

Post by LizAlbuquerque » Sat Jul 11, 2015 2:13 am

FloydFin wrote:
LizAlbuquerque wrote:I'm Portuguese and a UE citizen, so that means i could go to Finland and stay those 3 months and then get a permit? Is that correct?
It is not guaranteed you get a permit after those 3 months. You need a valid reason for that such as work (need to provide letter from employer or if self-employed, proof of your status, such as membership of a professional or trade body, a VAT number or registration on a trade register). Another valid reason can be studies (need to provide proof of admission).
Thank you so much for the help!
I was going to apply for a masters (I'm a historian), but I'm still looking to see how does the process goes.

Again, thank you!

LizAlbuquerque

Post by LizAlbuquerque » Sat Jul 11, 2015 2:13 am

betelgeuse wrote:
LizAlbuquerque wrote: 3. long story short, We work as freelancers creating websites. Can we just stay in Finland and work as freelancers? How does that work? Or we would need to open a company or something?
https://www.prh.fi/en/kaupparekisteri/y ... rader.html
Thank you so much!
I'm gonna read it!

LizAlbuquerque

Post by LizAlbuquerque » Sat Jul 11, 2015 2:21 am

Hey everyone!
Thank you all so much for the messages! Means a lot to me, really does!
I do have a couple more questions (I'm still lost in some things, as my Finnish isn't very good yet...):
First, when you look in these websites to rent a place, do they usually come with furniture? Or will I have to buy all the things? As we are only planning on staying in the fist place we rent for 3 months, we need furniture...
And second: My husband and I we both have migraines. What do you take for them? (I know it sounds like a weird question, but when you have migraines like ours, it's a very important issue... Lol)

Again, thanks so much for all the help!

Beep_Boop

Post by Beep_Boop » Sat Jul 11, 2015 11:31 am

LizAlbuquerque wrote:First, when you look in these websites to rent a place, do they usually come with furniture? Or will I have to buy all the things? As we are only planning on staying in the fist place we rent for 3 months, we need furniture...!
Depending on the place. Some come with furniture, some don't. Just look, check the description, and get in contact with them. Ask.
Each apartment is different.
LizAlbuquerque wrote:And second: My husband and I we both have migraines. What do you take for them? (I know it sounds like a weird question, but when you have migraines like ours, it's a very important issue... Lol)!
You take what the doctor prescribes. So either bring your medication with you (with your doctor's prescription), or you'll have to get in touch with some healthcare personnel in Finland to discuss this further.
Every case is unique. You can't measure the result of your application based on arbitrary anecdotes online.