Moving desktop computer

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
justaguy

Re: Moving desktop computer

Post by justaguy » Mon Aug 17, 2015 12:25 am

Valentin wrote: I didn't protect the motherboard from static, so there is a chance it's fried. Good thing I remembered to remove the clock battery.
Clock battery? Dear god, I hope you mean the CMOS battery.. *facepalm* and no static protection for your mobo? *huge facepalm*
You know checked in baggage goes in an unpressurised cabin = very high chance of static build-up.

I'd say it's dead for sure.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Jukka Aho

Post by Jukka Aho » Mon Aug 17, 2015 10:35 pm

justaguy wrote:Clock battery? Dear god, I hope you mean the CMOS battery..
That's pretty much all it does these days... keeps the real-time clock running when the actual power supply is off. "CMOS RAM" no longer exists as BIOS/UEFI settings storage, except as a misnomer harking back to ancient PCs. The BIOS/UEFI settings are actually written to non-volatile solid state storage, such as EEPROM or flash.
znark

Valentin

Post by Valentin » Sat Aug 22, 2015 8:06 pm

Well I set everything up and it's all working fine except for some power problems (probably-- I get the "initializing Intel ..." screen when booting). The GPU fans stop spinning after windows starts for some reason, but I used EVGA's Precision X to fix the fan problem.

I actually did try to protect the motherboard from static. I wrapped the back of the case with aluminum foil. Not sure if that did anything though. While removing the bubble wrap however there was static "all over" the body of the case.