Help with resident permit application

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
Ronn1e

Post by Ronn1e » Tue Aug 18, 2015 3:28 pm

Hi, this is my first time applying for RP. I am non-EU citizen and now married to a Finnish citizen. It would be nice if somebody here could clarify about the questions in OLE_PH2 form.

My main confusions are these:

1. There is a long wait list to get an appointment at the local police,so can I then go to any other town to apply? Will that affect the processing time?

2. Should I attach some kind of marriage proof, like photos, chat logs or something like that along with the application? It doesn't say anywhere to provide it, but how are they going to be checking if the marriage is real? I have really high anxiety, so it would be nice to avoid these 'interviews' most people keep talking about. I'm afraid to screw it up just from being overstressed.

3. Then it asks how long do I plan to stay in Finland, so is it okay to write 'permanently' ?

4. Some of the questions in the application are not clear, for instance when it's asking when did our relationship begin? Were you seeing each other/dating prior to marriage. How often did we see each other, where and when?

Most of our relationship has been in long distance through skype. So do they mean dating only in real or is online dating also important to mention? Same with seeing each other, does seeing on screen also count? And does it count as 'living together' if I've been here 2 times as a tourist and we lived (and now continue to live) in the same apartment? And finally, I wrote in the last section C (Additional information for the application) a little explanation on why we couldn't afford to meet more often in real due to distance and high expenses etc. Do they even care for that, or should I just leave it blank?

Thanks.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Ronn1e

Re: Help with resident permit application

Post by Ronn1e » Tue Aug 18, 2015 9:21 pm

Oh thanks a lot for the explanations. That is very helpful. I will keep it all in mind and correct what's needed then. However, we've already gone to a local police station once and they said they will only see me by scheduling an appointment first, which is not that big a deal, I suppose, as my visa doesn't expire for another month. So I'm not sure about that part.

justaguy

Post by justaguy » Wed Aug 19, 2015 8:50 am

tummansininen wrote:Yes; Yes - they don't begin really processing until you are seen. I advise you to go in and wait, and be seen without an appointment. I believe that under law you have the right to go to your local police and wait (not sure if it has to be one that does immigration stuff). Take sandwiches and go early. If you're in Helsinki, it's Pasila that you need.
Police will always clearly tell you that you need to book a time as they cannot physically help you out without you having a reservation. In every case I saw and heard of when someone who didn't have an appointment was trying to get stuff done they were always referred to the website to book an appointment and if the answer "I don't have a computer" came up, at the very most one of the people in the office would book them a time, and then print them out a paper and tell them to come back on that date.

The only time that you can walk-in and demand to be seen is in some kind of emergency and that would be for some other reason. Even if you tried to claim your permit stuff was one even then they still almost definitely wouldn't process your permit application or even start the process even if you had all the paperwork. They'll just write you down for an interview like everyone else and tell you to wait and obviously you won't get in trouble in the meantime if you behave and show up when you are asked. Telling people to even try to jump the queue is a waste of their time, the police's time and whoever else has to wait there to speak to a police officer who is following the rules properly.

I can't believe the first thing you suggest is to jump the @#$% queue, especially when you don't know if the law is on someone's side for just jumping the queue. Do you have any idea how annoying it is when people do that? I'm sure you're one to bitch and moan when people push in front of you whilst you're lining up for the bus, so why do you encourage walk-ins in the police station when wait times are already weeks for an appointment and then hours in the office, and when they clearly state that you need an interview to allow for significant time so people can fart around with their documents.
Ronn1e wrote:Oh thanks a lot for the explanations. That is very helpful. I will keep it all in mind and correct what's needed then. However, we've already gone to a local police station once and they said they will only see me by scheduling an appointment first, which is not that big a deal, I suppose, as my visa doesn't expire for another month. So I'm not sure about that part.
:roll: :roll:

If everyone thought that they were an exception then nothing would get done in this country and everything would be a mess.
tummansininen wrote:Which police station did you go to where they told you you couldn't be seen without an appointment? (Now I'm wondering if it only applies to document verification for citizenship applications :? )
It's ANY police station for any subject that requires an appointment first.

Ronn1e

Post by Ronn1e » Wed Aug 19, 2015 9:08 am

Ok, guys, you don't have to argue. :D We just didn't know about these appointments beforehand. I'm not trying to jump the queue or anything like that. :o Appointment is booked now.

Beep_Boop

Post by Beep_Boop » Wed Aug 19, 2015 10:24 am

justaguy wrote:It's ANY police station for any subject that requires an appointment first.
*sigh*
http://www.oikeusasiamies.fi/Resource.p ... &sort=2014
Every case is unique. You can't measure the result of your application based on arbitrary anecdotes online.

downhand

Post by downhand » Wed Aug 19, 2015 2:04 pm

justaguy wrote:
tummansininen wrote:Yes; Yes - they don't begin really processing until you are seen. I advise you to go in and wait, and be seen without an appointment. I believe that under law you have the right to go to your local police and wait (not sure if it has to be one that does immigration stuff). Take sandwiches and go early. If you're in Helsinki, it's Pasila that you need.
Police will always clearly tell you that you need to book a time as they cannot physically help you out without you having a reservation. In every case I saw and heard of when someone who didn't have an appointment was trying to get stuff done they were always referred to the website to book an appointment and if the answer "I don't have a computer" came up, at the very most one of the people in the office would book them a time, and then print them out a paper and tell them to come back on that date.

The only time that you can walk-in and demand to be seen is in some kind of emergency and that would be for some other reason. Even if you tried to claim your permit stuff was one even then they still almost definitely wouldn't process your permit application or even start the process even if you had all the paperwork. They'll just write you down for an interview like everyone else and tell you to wait and obviously you won't get in trouble in the meantime if you behave and show up when you are asked. Telling people to even try to jump the queue is a waste of their time, the police's time and whoever else has to wait there to speak to a police officer who is following the rules properly.

I can't believe the first thing you suggest is to jump the @#$% queue, especially when you don't know if the law is on someone's side for just jumping the queue. Do you have any idea how annoying it is when people do that? I'm sure you're one to bitch and moan when people push in front of you whilst you're lining up for the bus, so why do you encourage walk-ins in the police station when wait times are already weeks for an appointment and then hours in the office, and when they clearly state that you need an interview to allow for significant time so people can fart around with their documents.
While it might not be encouraged, the police waits only 5 minutes if someone is late to their appointment. This means that if you're alright with spending half of your day waiting at the station, in case someone doesn't show up, you can use their appointment as yours. Unless there are multiple people waiting for that before you. Then you better go home.

Ronn1e

Post by Ronn1e » Wed Aug 19, 2015 9:41 pm

tummansininen wrote:I went in and waited in a queue to have my citizenship paperwork processed without an appointment. I also did the same when applying to be registered as an EU resident in 2009, when I first arrived.

The police in many stations do actually have people who work at counters specifically processing things like permits and licenses. Going in and waiting in a queue that already exists is not taking anyone away from their jobs of processing people in queues.

Where are you located, Ronn1e? Others might know of a larger station near you where people have been happily seen without an appointment.
We're in Lappeenranta. I haven't actually seen any queues when we went there. There was a tiny room with a clerk sitting behind the window.

AldenG

Post by AldenG » Thu Aug 20, 2015 12:05 am

Ronn1e wrote:Ok, guys, you don't have to argue. :D We just didn't know about these appointments beforehand. I'm not trying to jump the queue or anything like that. :o Appointment is booked now.
He's not arguing, he's just a guy with a permanent itch.

He hasn't told us where it itches, but it's obviously quite agitating to him.
As he persisted, I was obliged to tootle him gently at first and then, seeing no improvement, to trumpet him vigorously with my horn.