Do I qualify for citizenship? Finnish Mother, born in USA

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
Joefattorusso

Post by Joefattorusso » Tue Aug 18, 2015 10:23 pm

I was born on July, 25th, 1985 in Elizabeth, New Jersey, to a Finnish mother and American father. My mother was a Finnish citizen at the time and has never aquired any other citizenship/has remained simply a resident here in the US. My mother was born in Lahti, Finland and has her information in the registry. My parents were married and registered as married in Finland in June, 1984, and have resided in the US since then. We were never aware that my mother should have registered me into the Finnish population register before my 22nd birthday, so I think consequently I lost my citizenship? I visited Finland each summer for 12 years, participate in the culture and I'm learning the language, and would like to possibly move to Helsinki. Under the new citizenship laws am I automatically considered a Finnish citizen? Can I claim my citizenship through my ties with my mother and what is the process, is there anything specifically barring me from citizenship through that route? Thanks

Joe
[email protected]

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Rip

Re: Do I qualify for citizenship? Finnish Mother, born in US

Post by Rip » Wed Aug 19, 2015 7:12 am

Former citizens can get it back by declaration. (Considering dual citizenship was not allowed then, you probably lost yours already before 22nd birthday)

Upphew

Post by Upphew » Wed Aug 19, 2015 11:49 am

" If you want to find out whether you currently are or formerly have been a Finnish citizen, you can request a determination of citizenship status by the Finnish Immigration Service."
http://www.migri.fi/finnish_citizenship ... sh_citizen
http://google.com http://translate.google.com http://urbandictionary.com
Visa is for visiting, Residence Permit for residing.

Rosamunda

Post by Rosamunda » Wed Aug 19, 2015 1:57 pm

Maybe your mum thought she was doing you a favour.

Pursuivant

Post by Pursuivant » Wed Aug 19, 2015 11:35 pm

Well, at least you dodged the draft :lol:

Should be pretty straightforward, go through the link provided, submit paperwork & wait.
"By the pricking of my thumbs,
Something wicked this way comes."

Oho

Post by Oho » Thu Aug 20, 2015 3:34 pm

Pursuivant wrote:Well, at least you dodged the draft :lol:
He did? Don't think so, he has or had both citizenship's by birth and really wasn't eligible for draft in the first place. I know, or these days rather know of, a couple of guys with dual citizenship who resided in Finland at conscription age but neither was required to serve. I don't perhaps naturalized dual citizens have to serve. Now if he was Russian aspiring to move to Russia he might up certain creek without certain implement.

Chaapa

Post by Chaapa » Wed Aug 26, 2015 3:41 pm

I'd say you probably do qualify based on the fact that both of my kids have gone that route. Born in the US in the 80's of a Finnish father who was married to their mother at the time, both have registered in the Finnish population registry and now have passports. It's not an easy project and can become expensive to obtain all the documents with apostille. Good luck